It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 secret societies- forbes.com

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
All

I thought this was interesting. From forbes.com
Click me

1. The Know Nothings (formerly the Order of the Star Spangled Banner)
2. The Fenians
3. The Ku Klux Klan
4. The Katipunin
5. The Boxers
6. The Black Hand
7. The Gallenanists
8. The Cherry Blossom Society
9. The Weathermen
10. Al-Qaida

Dude- we're not even considered sinister anymore- what the heck!!!

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I'm for sure dissapointed in this list!!! Of course they left out the other secret society's because of the "sinister" in front of the list!!!! Fun little read though

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Is it "bad" that I am sad to see we didn't make the list?

I have never heard of half those societies before, which I do suppose does make them secret.

Maybe Masonry is not considered "secret" anymore..

If Forbes puts out "top 10 groups for world domination" I bet we would be number 1 then!

PS every one FLAG this thread.. because SS threads never get flagged and the one with the most FLAGS is the new WATS winner (dumb idea imo but what can you do..)

[edit on 5/1/2007 by Rockpuck]

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I think it's cause mason's arene't sinister is the reason we were left off.

Oh well

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
funny they forgot the jesuits and knights of malta...

...well not exactly funny, but it makes me think HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I didn't think that the KKK are exactly secret are they? I mean I know that they wear hoods and don't make their real identity known to the public, but as far as their rituals go, you can find them online if you look hard enough.The sad part is that they purport to be a Christian organization, but their actions are anything but, and the funny part is, news flash Jesus wasn't white with long flowing sandy hair.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Don't forget The Committee of 300, and the Club of Rome...

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Yes, the list does some very perplexing when you dont know more than half of those societies, so their secrecy is really good or the only way get get out of that society is in a box or they killed those who infiltrated or wernt family. Meh, yea it is intresting.

Just checked it out and looked at the histroy in Pictures. If you do that you will notice that all but the KKK and Al-Qeada (spelling lol) are the only ones active, the others are all over. But is the secrecy lie in what we dont know about them? That makes more sense out of the article's title.

[edit on 13-5-2007 by jarheadjock]

[edit on 13-5-2007 by jarheadjock]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Since when is a secret society associated with terrorism. Did anyone notice that the majority of these "secret societies" that were listed resorted to bombings and terrorism to get their jobs done?

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I think The Nine Unknown Men is one of the coolest secret groups.

en.wikipedia.org...

Interestingly, the producers of Heroes have said that this legend is one of the inspirations for their show.

This may have come up on ATS before, but couldn't find it.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Don't cry Masons, if Dan Brown ever finishes that book of his you guys will be numero uno once again!

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
How can world domination not be sinister?

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The Weathermen? Is that a joke? Trying to take over the world by giving false weather reports? Working closely with The Anchormen.

[edit on 27-5-2007 by TheComte]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Everyone should go read the full story, the link is in the first post of this thread. The following is the very last paragraph.

"Of course, for conspiracy theorists, the very fact that we’re leaving out the Masons (and the Templars, the Illuminati, etc.) only proves that these secret societies really do control the world, and that we at Forbes are part of their sinister cabal. To which we can only respond, "I know nothing.""

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The Fenians, also known as Taigs, Irish Catholics, Irish Republicans. Not so secret really, about as secret as Al-Quaida lol.

I'm probably way off the mark, Forbes are probably on about a different group, but hey if i am off the mark does anyone have information on the group they are providing

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
I think The Nine Unknown Men is one of the coolest secret groups.

en.wikipedia.org...

Really interesting link there, I hadn't heard of this one before although I have come across something similar - thanks for posting it.

Incidently guys - you should read the attached slide show to see what Forbes considers a secret society. There is a very good reason that masons, Templars and the Illuminati et al are not on there, they are actual or alledged secret societies - the other lot are not. They are all in one form or another terrorist organisations. And a bizarre mix at that. To put the KKK with the Boxers who rebelled against colonial rule and the opium trade seems to me a tad disrepectful given historical perspective, similarly the Katipunin's who rebelled againsts US occupation of the Phillipines - less terrorist more revolutionary.

So why not just call it a list of the most sinister terrorist organisations? If you look quite closely at some of those 'terrorist organisations' you'll perhaps actually understand what forbes is saying to its more affluent readers or the establishment that it represents.

Now given the critera, I can only wonder at the significance of the omissions. Why no Baeder Meinhof or Farq?

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by All Seeing Eye
Don't forget The Committee of 300, and the Club of Rome...

And the Bohemian Grove, CFR, the Bilderbergers.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vinadetta
I'm for sure dissapointed in this list!!! Of course they left out the other secret society's because of the "sinister" in front of the list!!!! Fun little read though

I dont know, the Black Hand did kill someone of noblity and start one of the most bloody wars in recent history, and dont get me started on those boxers

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I still want to know why forbes equate civil insurgents as secret societies. Why revolutionaries are ranked with terrorists. Probably explains why the Third Reich persecuted the Freemasons though.

In terms of the Boxer Uprising - Though it was an incredibly bloody war it was caused entirely by the West's continued exploitation of China and the enforcement of opium on the chinese. The Boxers were defending their way of life in their own country - the west was in the wrong not the Chinese. My Great-Grandfather served in the Boxer Wars in the British Navy, I can be proud of that, but at the same time I have the advantage of retrospect and can see that this was yet another unjust war.

This is a list of terrorist organisations or civil insurgents (depending on your perspective). They were never secret societies per se, they were political groups that maintained secrecy for self-preservation. They for the most part did not want to take over the world as the article snidely implies they wanted represntation of their ideologies in their own countries.

To hold these groups up in comparison to al Quaida is deliberately misleading.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
they left the MWO out, i cant beleive that,
Thats My World Order, so secret i've never heard of it.

new topics

top topics

join