It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm 20 and I have a memory problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Okay Ill admit it. When it comes to remembering things, Im not the sharpest pencil. The trouble is, it feels like its getting worse!

The main issue I have is remembering important things that I will need to know, for my job, for example. I need to remember formulas and numbers and procedures.

Any tips on how to boost my memory? And how to remember it?

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I keep hearing an advertisement on the radio about Hypnosis to improve memory... but I can't remember the phone number... :shk::shk:

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Make lists, write things down.

what were we talking about?

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Gingko biloba is supposed to help with that. But when I looked it up online, I found this site:

www.memorylossonline.com...

that seems less than convinced. Maybe there is more information on the Memory Loss Online site that could help you though.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Dude you're 20 and you have a poor memory.

Question: What are you smoking?

If I'm on the wrong track, then opps my bad!

Balanced diet, eat more veggies!

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I'm sure you don't remember (oh the irony) Jerry Lucas. Jerry played basketball at Ohio State (when Bob Knight warmed the bench), and ended up being named one of the 50 best NBA players in history.

After his playing days, Jerry spent a lot of time touring around the talk show circuit touting the memory course developed by Harry Lorayne.

As a demonstration, Jerry would have all the audience members stand up and he'd identify all of them by first and last name after meeting them for a handshake before the show. It was quite an impressive feat.

Anyway, I'm sure a search on Amazon or Google will turn up any number of resources for the Harry Lorayne/Jerry Lucas stuff. Your local library probably has at least a couple of their books.

I've never actually used this method, but seeing it demonstrated was enough proof for me that it's doable and Jerry knows what he's talking about.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Your memory can be exercised and improved memory exercises so start there. There are also lots of tricks to help you memorize things memory tricks. Above all do not convice yourself you have a bad memory, strike that phrase from your vocabulary as it is an easy self forfilling thingy. Memory is like muscles and you wouldn't try to lift a huge amount without building up you muscles with exercise would you?

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
lots of great advice so far. im gonna try some of these links.

anyone else here suck at math?

basically i have to remember every GEOMETRIC math formula there is, and its not an easy thing to do.

i think you guys are right i should probably try and exersize my memory.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Tons of good advice here. Something else to think about...

There are tons of books like at your library than have the keyword memory in the title. Most of these will help greatly because all mental stumilation and blood flow is helpful.

All this exercise is never any good if you don't find the root to the problem and most memory loss is subconcious self/deffense from daily stress.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I find it primitive for your teacher to make you memorize all those formulas. The basic ones seem reasonable but some of the obscure ones...Are you working on your masters or what?

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
If you feel like your stressed or pressured then that can affect your memory too.

This can affect anyone at any age so don't feel bad about it.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm a list maker.

Everything I need to do goes down on a list.

I don't dare go to the store without one, my mind would go blank and I've wasted a trip getting what I don't need rather than what I need.

I always have paper and pen with me. If I think of something I want to talk about to someone, I would often write it down so I don't forget. When I talk to them then I don't go blank.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
exercise your brain.

play memory games etc.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I think you suffer from attention deficit disorder (ADD)- I have the same problem and started having it when i was very young. I get side tracked very easily...errr...oh yeah....mine can be pretty severe and i tend to go off subject a lot- thank goodness i have people here who love and understand me.
Wit, intelligence, and charm have nothing to do with it. Somedays are better than others.
Read my posts, you'll see what i mean.

You do the best you can, and never doubt your intelligence, you and I are brilliant we just have stigmatism of the brain. I have to really concentrate to remember things and to focus too.

We are special, Our higher power made us that way. You dont have a problem, you just have to try a little harder than others to remember- so what.

God Bless.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'm 76 and I've always had an excellent memory - it's like a steel trap (of course there are those who claim it's rusted shut).

The advice to practice and learn memory enhancing techniques given in earlier posts is really worthwhile.

Since I'm a retired chemist and believe in "better living through chemistry" there are two supplements you can get at any healthfood store that also help quite a bit. The first is choline, a B vitamin. It's used by the body to make acetyl choline, one of the main neurotransmitters in the brain. It usually comes as tablets with inositol. The other is creatine, an amino acid found in small amounts in food. This is used by athletes to help build muscle. It does so by letting the nerves going to the muscle trigger faster. A study using college students in Australia found that adding 5 grams (about a level teaspoon) of straight creatine to their diet each day improved their memories significantly.

Occam

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I don't have tips to help, but all I can do is sympathize.

Since I had a hysterectomy (at age 41) my short term memory has STUNK.

Example - I turn the tv on to a show I want to watch and then go to the kitchen to get a drink. While in the kitchen I can't remember what show I turned on but I figure that it must be something I like and so I'll be pleasantly surprised when i walk in.

Pretty bad, huh?

I co-miserate with ya'. It freak'n stinks.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
try sound therapy to improve all your states of consciousness
www.toolsforwellness.com...

new topics

top topics

join