It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gods of Christ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The Gods of Christ

Yes the God of Christ is plural. And still I see everybody saying ''God''.

The first commandment: you shall not worship other Gods. Does it now ring a bell why the Gods of Christ put that one on #1. Because there were other Gods.

Against which Gods fought the Gods of Christ again? Yes against the Egyptian Gods, or did the Gods of Christ fought against imagined Gods?

The idea of a God existing is based upon this, if those writings wouldn't have been there people wouldn't have talked about almighty Gods, because there would be no reason to.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Yes, Leen, those aren't the exactly correct words, though.

"You shall have no other gods before me"

^^ Correct form ^^

Now, this doesn't have to mean there were other gods, on the contrary, God is the Alpha and Omega, first and last. This is to mean he is the ONLY ONE. Now, that commandment means worshipping false prophets, idols, etc. For example, worshipping the Egyptians' gods. They had a god for everything, this what that means by 'gods'. It can also mean worshipping fake idols, such as physical things..in our day, perhaps an electronic or game that you really 'love'. Now, since God is the Alpha and Omega, he is saying he is the only God, do not worship false gods, that commandment is NOT saying there are other gods. At that time in history, people worshipped many gods, a god for everything, really. The idea of monotheism was a shock to the culture at that time. So, makes sense that this would be included in the commandments, since God is saying he is the only REAL God.

That link talks about a monotheistic God, not many gods? How does that help your argument lol..

-wD

[Edited on 2-1-2004 by WeBDeviL]

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
Yes, Leen, those aren't the exactly correct words, though.

"You shall have no other gods before me"

^^ Correct form ^^

Now, this doesn't have to mean there were other gods, on the contrary, God is the Alpha and Omega, first and last. This is to mean he is the ONLY ONE. Now, that commandment means worshipping false prophets, idols, etc. For example, worshipping the Egyptians' gods. They had a god for everything, this what that means by 'gods'. It can also mean worshipping fake idols, such as physical things..in our day, perhaps an electronic or game that you really 'love'. Now, since God is the Alpha and Omega, he is saying he is the only God, do not worship false gods, that commandment is NOT saying there are other gods. At that time in history, people worshipped many gods, a god for everything, really. The idea of monotheism was a shock to the culture at that time. So, makes sense that this would be included in the commandments, since God is saying he is the only REAL God.

-wD

Let's not forget that holding science as your God violates that, too...

The idea behind the commandment, I believe, is to follow the Lord before any other thing. He's number 1. By a long shot...

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

LoL, yeah..I think someone needed to say that : - P

Anyways, JJ, I was trying to say what you said in that second line, just in a longer form,

-wD

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The idea of it meaning worshipping false prophets, idols and stuff is an assumption Webdevil.
At that time in history, people worshipped many gods, a god for everything, really.
Yes does it make more sense then to say he was the only God instead of saying the other part of the world next to the Christians were saying they saw Gods while they weren�t? And ofcourse the God of Christ was true, only all the other Gods fakes. Does that makes sense?
since God is saying he is the only REAL God.
Very nice and all, you interpreted it like being the other Gods fake, what if someone interpreters it like being the God which you should worship, instead of the other Gods?
That link talks about a monotheistic God, not many gods? How does that help your argument lol..
Yes lol.. Elohim is the common name for God. It is a plural form

Junglejake
Scientists don�t see science as a God.

So what is going to happen now?

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Hmm..well I guess this argument won't get any farther than the "PROOF that GOD does NOT exist" thread, eh? lol its all assumptions right now I guess..no one can prove the other wrong, since it has a lot to do with assumptions, faith, and guessing = /

-wD

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
No, scientists don't see science as a God, but many treat it as such. "Well, this must be false, because Science says..."

When Moses came from the mountain with the 10 Commandments, the Jews were worshipping a golden Idol. They weren't woshipping another God that was among their camp, but a statue. There is no evidence in the Bible of any other Gods.

I do like the fact that you brought up Elohim, though. What a testament to Christ, that the Trinity was forseen even in the Tora.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Ohh I see what you are saying now..the Holy Trinity..

The Holy Trinity is still one God, just different parts of that God. God, to his left, the Holy Spirit, and to the right, Jesus Christ. It makes up God as a whole, I believe. I could see why you would say there are more than one God, though..makes some sense..thinking logically..I believe it makes up God though, ya know, like different areas..

-wD

EDIT: Yeah, it is a merry-go-round lol I try to prove something, you disprove it, etc etc lol.

[Edited on 2-1-2004 by WeBDeviL]

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I wasn't talking about the holey trinity, about all the other Gods of the world, but ofcourse the Gods of Christ are the only true ones.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
My theory: people may worship many "gods" but they are all facets of the one god.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
While the Jewish/Christian/Muslim religions are perceived as monotheistic faiths, and are all based on the Old Testament, the original Hebrew texts do not support this.

While the English translation refers to a God, the Hebrew speaks of Elohim, the plural meaning "gods". Similarly, while we read the word "Lord" in English, the Hebrew refers to Adonai, the plural "Lords".

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
MY theory: American Christians worship Jehovah, Jesus, the Bible, the American flag, and the American President. They're all hell-bound.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   

No, scientists don't see science as a God, but many treat it as such. "Well, this must be false, because Science says..."

Yes it does raise those pesky questions about a flat 6000 year old world where the sun stands still and such.

Belive it or not I am not against religion, whatever gets you through the day, but comparing it to science is like comparing apples and oranges

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

The idea behind the commandment, I believe, is to follow the Lord before any other thing. He's number 1. By a long shot...

Are you insinuating that god might feel threatened by science?

If there is no possibility of multiple gods, why would he ever have even made the statement?

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Let's take a closer look at Elohim

Elohim

Elohim has been explained as a plural form of Eloah or as plural derivative of El.

So Elohim is plural and Eloah and El are not.

The name Elohim is found 2570 times; Eloah, 57 times and El, 226 times

And then

If Elohim be regarded as derived from El, its original meaning would be "the strong one"

Not the only one (it is also plural) but the strong one, and the others would be less strong, that's also why Lucifer and the angels lost...

2570 times plural form is a lot more then the 283 other forms in the bible as God being one, instead of multiple.

Where is your idea of God being one if the Bible itself says he isn't?

new topics

top topics

join