It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Avoid Using TXT Shorthand On ATS (UPDATED)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I have yet to see a post similar to the above while here as a member at ATS as well as my years of lurking. I'm sure they exist and many examples can be posted, but has this become so prevalent that it's become an issue?

There are some acronyms that cross the line into text shorthand or vice versa, such as: BTW, ASAP, WAG seem to be acceptable whereas:

BBFBBM, FTASB probably aren't?

Here's a listing of acronyms and lingo: www.netlingo.com...

[edit on 30-4-2007 by greatlakes]

SR

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I know this is probably going to sound stupid but i'll ask anyway. Would 'lol' and 'lmao' be exception to this? They are pretty much recognised abbreviations in most languages and convey the point without having to right out 'I laughed out loud' not out of lazyness just a 'lol' conveys as much as an emotion and get's the point of humour across easily enough.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Are we going to start calling U2Us "you to yous"?

lol wtf.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Now that I think about it, teaching kids to type like that is probably some kind of NWO plot to dumb down this generation and generations to come.

Say no to the NWO.

Peace

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'd vote for LOL, WTF, LMAO, ROFL all acceptable. They may not be too great to use in a formal discussion, but in a casual thread I say

I mean who doesn't know what those terms mean, anyone? (refer to my above post if you don't).

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I agree with LOL, WTF, LMAO, ROFL, because that is the only ones I have a clue about.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I've edited my earlier post.

The only acronym I'm guilty of using is imo.

(in my opinion)

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I'm going to miss using "IMO" if it is disallowed. Also, I regularly use gov't, which is another one I'll miss.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SR
I know this is probably going to sound stupid but i'll ask anyway. Would 'lol' and 'lmao' be exception to this? They are pretty much recognised abbreviations in most languages and convey the point without having to right out 'I laughed out loud' not out of lazyness just a 'lol' conveys as much as an emotion and get's the point of humour across easily enough.

I think that's why we have smileys, to put across the lol's and the lmao's. The one's with the big smiles ^.^

I guess the thing ATS want to crack down on is basically just the shortening of 'normal' words, or from what I've seen a lot of elsewhere on the internet is the love of using no vowels whatsoever.

So people, let's start using vowels and let's start making those words the full words

For example:

The no vowel concept:

The word 'because' would become 'bcoz' and words like 'that' become 'tht'.

These are no no words.

The shortening concept:

Words like 'this' become 'dis' and instead of 'the', the word 'da' is used. Honestly sounds like something a toddler would say, who has yet to learn the art of pronunciation.

Acronyms, whatever they are I think are slightly more acceptable. Even ones like lol, lmao, roflmao. I know we don't use those when we're talking, but we also don't say 'gov't'. I think common sense should prevail here. Just don't type like you're typing a text to your friend

[edit on 30-4-2007 by shaunybaby]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
I agree with LOL, WTF, LMAO, ROFL, because that is the only ones I have a clue about.

I was sitting here thinking to myself, This is a really good idea, no IM TXT shorthand. Then I realized I use the ones above and have also used IMO and IRL.

My bad, my apologies. I won't use IMO and IRL anymore, but LOL and the ones first listed here ARE pretty common and in some cases are better used than a smiley. Some people really don't like smileys.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well in my book, LOL is
and LMAO is not really represented by the smileys at the present time. We need more SMILEYS! Write your administrators and moderators, lets start a grass roots campaign now people!

j/k (hey there's another one)

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Ok by consensus are the following acceptable, there are so many?

LOL, WTF, LMAO, ROFL, BTW, J/K, IMO, IMHO, NWO, GOV'T, OMG, A/C, ASAP,

BYOB, BLT, EST, ETC, 24/7, AA, AAA, AKA, ATM, ET, FYI, CYA, WAG, SWAG,

AD, BC, DC, GM, GMO, PS, SOS, TBA, TBD, ROYGBIV, TGIF, RGB, OIC, CIA,

WYSIWYG, RIP.

Can someone make a little story involving all of the above acronyms in a cohesive (and funny) way??

I know there are many more acronyms in everyday text writing out there.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Here you go.

firsttube.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I think we're all freaking out a little here. I don't think this is referring to LOL, LMAO. Those are commonplace. BRB, that one threw me at first though.

It's things like:
4= for
u= you,
r= are.

That's what I think SO was talking about. That being said, this is just my O.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
And, hopefully, lack of grammar.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

If you can do it, why not show us the respect that we show you. It's pretty simple. Are we not worth your effort?

Edit: I have just been informed that english is bodrul's second language. Nevermind, apologies.

i always take my time when i post any replys to ATS members

i just get vexed that people assume that i use txt typying

english is kind of my first language since i been speaking it since 2
my typing skills could do with work though

[edit on 30-4-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
I've edited my earlier post.

The only acronym I'm guilty of using is imo.

(in my opinion)

Likewise, I can't think of any others that I use, just imo, or imho, (I'm more humble than steve is
)

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
What about postings that are written all in emoticons:

EXAMPLE (bad one):

I
at that movie, it gets
from
! The
part was
and the stunts
!

do they do the
stunts? If
did them I would
and

Anyway
for now!

[edit on 30-4-2007 by greatlakes]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Now that I think about it, teaching kids to type like that is probably some kind of NWO plot to dumb down this generation and generations to come.

Surely you've read 1984? TXT language is Newspeak, or whatever it is called, its the next english, which you use to make everyone obey you.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
not to be rude but i'm still going to use IMO and LOL. I understand not allowing people to use text speak..or if the whole post is filled with nothing else but text speak.. I dont think its right but i understand it and the need to maintain the quality of the board....But IMO, LOL and IMO should stay..even though there is a smiley icon, somethings i find are funny but not funny enough to warrant an laughing smiley...thats just me and my 2cents
---> someone said that we had spell check..really ?? i didnt know that. where is it...b/c i definitely have spelling issues.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join