It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cryptome Shut Down. National Security Letter Issued?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Cryptome Shut Down. National Security Letter Issued?

prisonplanet.com

John Young’s controversial web site, Cryptome, has received a letter from its hosting service, Verio, indicating it will terminate service due for violation of its Acceptable Use Policy. Cryptome has until May 4 to find another service provider.

“Cryptome welcomes documents for publication that are prohibited by governments worldwide, in particular material on freedom of expression, privacy, cryptology, dual-use technologies, national security, intelligence, and secret governance—open, secret and classified documents—but not limited to those,” the site explains.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Not sure who here is familiar with the "cryptome.org" site but I visit it weekly for an alternative view on government details. I was just there about 3 days ago and read a memo by FBI director Robert Mueller. At the time I kinda wondered how such a memo could have been recovered but given the sites history and purpose it wasn't too alarming. There was nothing in the memo, at least that I interpreted, which would cause a problem. Hopefully he can re-locate the site, even off-shore and keep the info flowing.

brill

prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Just to add the article references the master key for DNS root zone issue that was brought up before on ATS. I don't think this would cause the site to be brought down. As also indicated by the article the providers legal department has been notified in the past and subsequent actions taken. This time no warning. Obviously the owner John Young has stirred the pot.

Master Key DNS root zone reference: www.abovetopsecret.com...'

brill

[edit on 30-4-2007 by brill]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
It's one of the sites I visit the most, John's hung around for quite some time he will find another provider (hopefully)

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Just checked whois data maybe the domain had expired (it has happened to bigger names so its a possibility) but not the case here:

Expiration Date:25-Jun-2008 14:58:29 UTC

If the site was revealing any type of classified material or national secrets fine there's a problem with that but this doesn't appear to be the case. Not a positive sign and it makes you wonder what, if any, implications that ATS potentially could suffer.

brill

top topics

join