It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Official calls for investigation of 1990 Gulf War flight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
On August 1, 1990 British Airways flight 149 touched down at a deserted Kuwait airfield. Shortly after the passengers were captured by Iraqi Army troops. They were held hostage for weeks, and the plane was destroyed in the fighting.

Now Norman Baker, a Liberal Democrat MP for Lewes in Sussex is calling for an investigation. He says he's uncovered new evidence that the flight, which was bound for Kuala Lumpur, was deliberately allowed to land, despite having 200,000 Iraqi troops built up along the border with Kuwait, to allow a top secret MI6 group to disembark in Kuwait. All other flights to the area had been canceled for hours, and the staff was gone from the airport.

Baker alleges that former prime ministers Margaret Thatcher and John Major gave “incorrect and misleading” information to the House of Commons when they stated that the aircraft had landed before the invasion and that the situation could not have been foreseen.

“With 200,000 troops and tanks gathered on the border very close to Kuwait, and given the general background noise from Iraq at the time, I suggest that it was a reasonable assumption that there might well have been an invasion, even if there was no detailed intelligence to confirm that,” Baker told a House of Commons debate on Friday.

“The plane touched down, moreover, at a deserted airport. Every other flight from every other airline had been cancelled for hours, there were no staff, and the one or two individuals who were hanging around were considerably surprised when a plane touched down.”

Baker added that the idea that Britain was the only country in the world not to realise what was going on “stretches credibility”. He alleges that the aircraft, a British Airways Boeing 747 en route to Kuala Lumpur had in fact “landed to allow intelligence and special forces personnel belonging to a highly secretive section of MI6 called The INC, posing as passengers, to disembark in Kuwait.”

Baker said he had obtained signed affidavits from special forces members “to the effect that they were on that plane and were put there to carry out a mission at the request of the British government.”

Gulf War Inquiry

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Whoa, i had no clue about that info Zap. Nice find. More fuel for the fire of govs doin what they want, where they want without approval of the people. Keep up the great research.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I remember hearing about this before. Interested to see it has its own Wiki page.

Looks like it has the potential to get interesting.

Mr Baker said he now had "conclusive proof" to confirm the claims and contradict the Government's account.

He said: "The crew and passengers who were on that flight suffered enormously whilst in captivity and deserve to know the truth.

"Sadly, the response of successive governments, including this one, has been to sweep everything under the carpet.

"I will be demanding that the Prime Minister or another senior minister meet with representatives of the crew and passengers, that the file on Operation Sandcastle now be released, with the deletion of the sensitive security information, and that an inquiry be begun into this whole episode."

Source.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This is the first that, I have heard about this, oh I suspect this will be covered up like allthe other scandals that have happened in b oth Govs over the past 30 years....

Makes me wonder why is it only now this has surfaced....

Mind you I havent seen anything on the major news networks covering this in the UK....

new topics

top topics

join