It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should POTUS wear Military Uniform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
can someone explain, why the President of the United States of America, as Commander in Chief does not wear military uniform?

Here in the UK, our Royal Family love "dressing up" in their various uniforms.

I know there are a lot of past /present military people on this site, and i would like to hear if there is a rule that either he can/cannot wear uniform, also if you think it would be a good/bad thing to do.

I look forward to reading your views on this

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Simple answer actually.

The commander and chief is a CIVILIAN.

Not military.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Exactly. Which in the US means that the POTUS is subject to civilain laws and regulations, not the UCMJ.

Also, military officers are commissioned, and enlisted members serve under the terms of a contract. The POTUS does neither, he is elected into office.

Interestingly, the POTUS never even issued a salute to members of the military until recently. In the old days it was seen as a way of keeping the office separate & distinct from the role of Commander-in-Chief. Ronald Regan broke with that tradition, and most POTUS's since then have saluted (although WJC did it the least frequently).

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
thanks for the info rockpuck but it is leaving me a bit confused, surely as Commander in Chief he has to be in the Military(as he is the boss!). How can you order "the Chiefs of Staff", unless you outrank them. sorry for my ignorance but i am trying to understand the title of Commander in Chief(CiC). I know Mr Bush is a civilian elected to be POTUS, but as CiC is he in the military.

thanks tony

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tonyc
but as CiC is he in the military.

No, he's not in the military. That's the point - the civilian oversight of the military. The POTUS is not a member of the military.

I still can't figure out why a baseball manager wears a baseball uniform. The coaches of other sports don't do that.

(okay, off-topic, but had to throw it in there)

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

thanks for the info rockpuck but it is leaving me a bit confused, surely as Commander in Chief he has to be in the Military(as he is the boss!). How can you order "the Chiefs of Staff", unless you outrank them. sorry for my ignorance but i am trying to understand the title of Commander in Chief(CiC). I know Mr Bush is a civilian elected to be POTUS, but as CiC is he in the military.

thanks tony

The US military falls under the supervision of civilians. The Service Secretaries (Secretary of the Navy, Air Force, etc) are all civilian positions, as well as Secretary of Defense. This was designed so that the military didn't closet everything and just run away with the money they were allocated, or gain too much power. They have to have some civilian oversight to justify spending. That's why they created the Commander in Chief position. So that a CIVILIAN gives orders to the military.

niv

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
In the US civilian control of the military is a central concept. Originally done to protect from military coups, it still is considered that every military officer knows that his/her ultimate boss is not a member of any military branch and, in theory, is responsible to those that elected the President.

A good example of this is by looking at old photos of Eisenhower. After he was elected POTUS, he was never seen in a military uniform, even though retired military officers sometimes do so.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Yep, the highest-ranking member of our military is the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He reports to the civilian leadership at the Pentagon led by the Secretary of Defense, who in turn report to the President.

They do have like their bomber jackets with the Presidential seal on them and stuff, but they're really not official military uniforms.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Here in the UK, our Royal Family love "dressing up" in their various uniforms.

The Royals don't "dress up". Most of them have actually done Military Service. Some hold honoary positions across the branches, but that is due to the position they hold. For example, both Prince Charles and later, Prince William, have to have positions in the Navy, Army and RAF because they will eventually be the Head of the Armed forces.

Prince Charles is actually a qualified RAF fast jet pilot and was also in command of various Royal Navy warships during his service. I also believe he qualified for his Royal Marine Green beret, which is no mean feat. On top of that, he is also Colonel-in-Chief for the Parachute Regiment. He had to go through all that so he understood every aspect of HM Forces.

niv

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
For example, both Prince Charles and later, Prince William, have to have positions in the Navy, Army and RAF because they will eventually be the Head of the Armed forces.

Do you mean functional head of the armed forces or more ceremonial? I ask because I thought the royals no longer had any real power.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by niv
Do you mean functional head of the armed forces or more ceremonial? I ask because I thought the royals no longer had any real power.

Tricky one that...

The Queen is the Ceremonial head for all intents and purposes, although members of the Armed Forces swear loyalty to her, not the country or anyone else. They are Her armed forces, not the Governments.

As for general power, she has alot more than people think. She hardly ever uses it and to be honest, it would be a risky political gamble if she did try to impose her will on Parliament. Would she have the support of the people would be a prime concern, as she may well get a back lash if she did use all her power.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Throughout the military there are many many places where civilians are in charge of military officers. Someone does not have to be in the military to be the boss of someone in the military. It happens everyday. The SECDEF is a civilian, as is the SEC AF. I can imagine that the other branches follow suit.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
No. even if he is a former military officer. The only exception I would make is if he is a Congressional Medal of Honor winner he should be able to wear that award with pride sans uniform.

The president could in theory be an active military officer, but..... Civilian control of our military forces is part our most basic form of government. Otherwise we are no differnet than a third world junta IMHO

top topics

join