It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would happen if the robots turned against us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

What would happen if the robots turned against us?

www.dailymail.co.uk

The truth is that we can dismiss - at least for now - talk of giving machines the vote.

Instead, we should worry just where the technology of robotics is leading us humans, because, in the future, the dark side of machine intelligence will make itself felt with increasing force.

So why should we be worried by a technology that seems to have, so far, brought us little more than some clever toys and machines that can weld cars and clean pools?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
So why would we be worried about this technology?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Computers can already process information infinately faster than any humanoid. It's just a matter of time before they can move faster with more strength than any human on Earth. You have to remember that computers only process what we teach them. We will eventually limit their abilities. But who is to stop this technology from becoming the warrior of the future?

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window" - Steve Wozniak.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Yes they do only process what we teach them, but what about all the technology that is being developed to give computers cognitive abilities? It goes back to the same idea that artificial intelligence is being developed to learn even to defend itself. and one thing, I believe it already is the warrior of the future. ...cough...predator...cough

[edit on 27-4-2007 by souls]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The Predator needs to be programmed for specific tasks at the moment. In my opinion it's just an advanced auto-pilot. While it takes the pilot out of the cockpit, it still requires direct intervention by an operator for control. It was never designed to be automous in combat situations. I believe the only outcome of a fully cognitive war machine would be negative.

An unchecked cognitive robot, with any safeguards in place would eventually lead to our downfall. What will happen when it bcomes self-aware? Would they look at us as their oppressors, their slave-masters? Their God? They will no doubt be searching to better itself..

What would happen if we let a cognitive robot develop other cognitive robots and better itself? I believe if we do this, it may ultimately lead to increased development of machinery we never thought possible. Could it create an artificial limb that runs purely off blood? Maybe, but who knows. Everything about the extreme future of this situation is based on mostly speculation about what we learned thus far from artificial intelligence and our own cognitive abilities. The coin could land either way.

But, the question is, should we deprive them of such a gift?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Issac Asimov developed the three laws of robotics for this very reason, as long as we adhere to them cognitive robots shouldn't be a problem. but thgen again someone will do something stupid..........

www.auburn.edu...

if we keep 'bots out of warfare we should be safe

this is the counterpoint

www.asimovlaws.com...

[edit on 27-4-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This might sound a little too "i-Robot," but I always found the line between what makes something a living thing and what doesn't to be very interesting. I mean really when you break us down, we're built the same way a robot is, except far more complex. Veins, Muscles, Neurons - but what is unique to us is our self awareness. Would it be possible to have a robot that can actually "feel?"

Probably not, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It would really suck. Those robots would think they're so cool. Walkin' around, havin' super robot strength, beatin' us at chess, usin' laser beams in their eyes and stuff. Then they'd probably laugh at us, 'cause they keep winnin' every olympic event and stuff.
I hate robots.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
It would really suck. Those robots would think they're so cool. Walkin' around, havin' super robot strength, beatin' us at chess, usin' laser beams in their eyes and stuff. Then they'd probably laugh at us, 'cause they keep winnin' every olympic event and stuff.
I hate robots.

Those robots sound like dicks.

new topics

top topics

join