It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangers of Rabbit hunting.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I suspect you meant "decrease" (make it go down).

My grandfather said that God gave each animal enough brains and kidney to cure its own hide. We usually saved the brains for that. We always had to add stuff to the brains with rabbits though. Hare brained.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
You want the carcass to cool and let the fleas get off of it before picking it up. When rabbit hunting on the South Park in Colorado, I would often clean rabbits that had large botfly(or some other type)larvae underneath the skin. You have to be careful when cleaning wild meat of any kind.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
I have a HUGE suspicion that boomerangers only did the return trick for show.

Actually, there were/are two different boomerangs- The come-back kind, and the hunting/fighting kind.

The fighting weapons of the Australians are few in number and simple in construction; they are spears, clubs, shields and the ‘bumarang’. Of the last there are two kinds, but it is only the one of these that is used in fights … The Sydney names ‘bora’, ‘bumarang’, ‘karaban’ are already established … I have said that there are two ‘bumarangs’ … the other of these is commonly called the ‘come-back boomerang’, from the strange peculiarity of its flight, but while that name may be descriptive enough, yet it is not convenient to handle, and in one view the name is in itself contradictory, and therefore absurd, for it really means the ‘play-fighting’ weapon … The ‘come-back’ variety is not a fighting weapon. A dialect name for it is ‘bargan’ which word may be explained in our language to mean ‘bent like a sickle or crescent moon’. I will, therefore, say ‘bargan’ when I mean that variety. It is important that two different words should be used, for much confusion has been produced in the past by both varieties being called ‘bumarang’.

source

As far as how to throw one, check here

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Excellent info thank you.

And I thought that you were going to say something political like: Stay away from politicians that like to hunt Ducks and Rabbits.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Excellent info thank you.

And I thought that you were going to say something political like: Stay away from politicians that like to hunt Ducks and Rabbits.

Oh man! I've been resisting the urge to make a Cheney reference since this thread opened!

But the information in this thread is too damn good. I learned alot today from this thread.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Easily avoided though, by just adding other meat or fish to the diet.

yes, fish

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
And don't mess with this one,

www.intriguing.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

[edit on 27-4-2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Would you recommend taking the same precautions with hares? Where I live, I don't think I've ever seen a rabbit, but we have hares all over the place, even in the middle of the city. I've had hares wander into my backyard when the gate is left open (much to my mother's dismay, as they like her garden!
) so in a survival situation, I'd imagine I could catch a few if I had to.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
hi there

can any one answer my mxymatosis question i asked earlier please ?? it was the 2nd post after the doc`s.

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
No myxotosis in North America that I know of. Silly Brit's, you don't have too many rabbits, you've got too few coyotes. We'll send over 50 or so male/females and you rabbit problem will be gone in few decades, same with your feral cats, stray yappy dogs.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm not familiar with hares; in texas we have jackrabbit, which apparently are a form of hare.

I assume they are succeptable to the same illnesses as their kin, so "mixie" and tularemia would seem to be issues there as well.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx
No myxotosis in North America that I know of. Silly Brit's, you don't have too many rabbits, you've got too few coyotes. We'll send over 50 or so male/females and you rabbit problem will be gone in few decades, same with your feral cats, stray yappy dogs.

thanks for the answer, yes i would prefer to have coyotes !! mxy is a horrible disease that was introduced by us to try to limit the numbers of wabbits.....but as i said it is a horrible way to die.

thanks
snoopyuk

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by geocom

Why is that gross? What's the point in wasting any part of the animal?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
In a survival situation, you wouldn't have to worry about myxomatosis, as it doesn't affect humans. You wouldn't wilfully eat a myxi infected rabbit if there are healthy ones available, as you wouldn't eat a diseased animal on salein a butcher's shop, but if it came to a dire survival plight, a scabby rabbit would be like a christmas dinner!

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
You want the carcass to cool and let the fleas get off of it before picking it up. When rabbit hunting on the South Park in Colorado, I would often clean rabbits that had large botfly(or some other type)larvae underneath the skin. You have to be careful when cleaning wild meat of any kind.

The larvae under the skin my Grandad called a 'wolf worm'......I've seen them in rabbits and the outdoor cats......usually in the neck.

He used a homemade trap/rabbit box to catch rabbits live......He lived in a wooded, brushy area where the animals had lots of cover and could vanish instantly, it was much easier to use the box, and with a live catch he could check for the 'wolf worm' and watch the animal several days for signs of disease, plus he could fatten one up. He always caught enough to eat and have some to sell.

He nailed them to the barn to cool and then skin.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I never thought actually about having to hunt rabbits but rather breeding them in as safe an enclosed place as possible... they breed rampantly

any clues on how to keep a pen safe from ticks without pestacides?

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

Yes, but of course, when I eat rabbit, I cook them with olive oil, so I think im good

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I thought with the header " Dangers of Rabbit Hunting" I thought the thread was about hunting WereRabbits on the North Yorks Moors, terrible beasties they are, many a tourist has met a horrible end when they meet a were rabbit after dark. I'm told they are akin to the American Jackalope

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Reading all of these tips and tricks is great!! Thanks Doc and others

I was wondering too about disease in hand reared rabbits. Raised in a barn or hutches they are still liable to get the usual parasites and infections. In a SitX vet meds will be hard to come by so are there any ways to guard against ticks or botfly infestations in domesticated rabbits?

I know cedar is a good deterrent for fleas however rabbits are often allergic to it and develop skin sores if they are (opening them up to other infections).

Is there a building material or design that can limit parasites from getting to the buns?

Also many chemicals that might be used to control parasites can create serious health problems for hand reared rabbits...even flea control powders and sprays.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join