It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thailand takes on pharmaceutical giants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

The Thai government's decision to break the patents on two Aids drugs and one heart drug, so it can offer them to all Thai citizens, is a bold move, which has put the country on a collision course with the big pharmaceutical firms.

This is what capitalism is, if it's not profitable it doesn't get made. And if it's profitable it gets made. No matter the consequences, money are the god of the system.
Good thing for Thailand , they seem to realize that money do not cure diseases, humans do.

[edit on 26-4-2007 by pai mei]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Its a great deal. break enough patents and then perhaps thos evil pharma companies will be driven out of the busines forever

Seriously, somebody paid for all that research and development. Should investors foot the bill? Or companies? No it will be the people who actually pay for thier drugs that will make this possible for Thailand.

I have to do more research on Thailands program to be sure but for all the evil heaped on them (some deserved some not) these companies exist to make money. They fund alot of thier own research despite the health Ministers casual comment that the US Government funds alot of it. (Whats the differerence at any rate)

[edit on 4/26/07 by FredT]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I said this is capitalism. I am sure no company wants to discover a cheap drug to cure cancer for example. They just don't want that. Isn't that a strange thing ?
In problems like this one - researching for drugs that can save lifes we need to be communist, and once discovered those drugs must be distributed freely.
I mean state funded research, I am sure there are smart people who want to go into research industry to help others, so the state will atract all of them and all will research not for profit but because that is what they like and want to do - am I too naive ?

In problems like - who can make the coolest pair of sport shoes, let it be capitalism , competition and profit all the way, shoes are not that important

[edit on 27-4-2007 by pai mei]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by pai mei

In problems like - who can make the coolest pair of sport shoes, let it be capitalism , competition and profit all the way, shoes are not that important

[edit on 27-4-2007 by pai mei]

Shoes can be the most important commodity in the world, if you have none!!

Anyway... Good luck to Thailand. People have been allowed to die for less than corporate profit. So I am not surprised. A one-time cure for something does not have the potential to bring in nearly as much profit as a lifetime of treatment for said ailment. So, those interested in the bottom line will most likely fight this to the end.

Not sure why people think they are entitled to health, anyway. It seems to work for America that it is not a right, but a priviledge to those who can afford to make the boys on top more rich.

top topics

join