It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSNN.com - You're kidding Right?... Dumb Idea

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Voice of Doom,

Man I just voted for you for January!

Hell and we don't even like each other!

there must be hope yet.

NEO, who said I don't like you??? I like you very much.

I can't believe I got two awards for a post that, frankly I think, wasn't even my best stuff. Hmm.
I suspect that ATSnn or whatever its called is being called is a prototype excursion for the ATS creators into the realm of profits. And why not?? There has to be a way to make all this hard work pay-off and if Google adds arent paying for the dry cleaning what better way than to get picked up as a subsidiary for a "legitimate" news network. (All rights retained of course)
I believe that thought alone accounts for the lock-step reaction of those recently promoted "grizzled" news hounds in this thread. That and the obvious smugness that comes with "promotion". Hell, If I thought a job might come out of this s**t, I would be a best friend to those in authority here too. What joy I would feel to be the receipient of a "title" from a 'free internet forum'. What greater honor could there be...at least until I got my learners permit.
But this is how the world works. Or, at least that's what were told by those who profit from it currently. One world out of many, though. There are others.
Remember, as the syncophants stand in unison preaching a "love ATS or leave ATS" attitude they miss out on the fact that "information" can be scientifically defined as "differences that make a difference". Thus, in the midst of radical censoring, if we only "hear" what we expect to hear or allow ourselves to hear, our nervous systems will never be confronted with new stimuli that can cause mutation, change and growth. Ergo, a closed information system such as this, can not survive no matter how much "ignorance" it claims to deny.
I wish the best to all.

you are absolutely free

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voice_of Doom

Voice of Doom,
Man I just voted for you for January!
Hell and we don't even like each other!
there must be hope yet.

NEO, who said I don't like you??? I like you very much.

NEO,
Just look at Voice of Doom's avatar, how can you say you don't like him and he doesn't like you?
such a sweet little kitty - i'll bet he's even litterbox trained...
Now you two be nice to each other - Neo, go ahead... pat the little kitty on his fuzzy little head....

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voice_of Doom Thus, in the midst of radical censoring, if we only "hear" what we expect to hear or allow ourselves to hear,
EXCUSE me? "Radical censoring"? Where the hell do you come off with such a claim?

Ergo, a closed information system such as this, can not survive no matter how much "ignorance" it claims to deny.
A "closed information system" does not have open and dynamic input such as ATS.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Perhaps censoring is the wrong word in this situation. Maybe "collusion of ideas" is clearer. (explanation following)
From "Really Above Top Secret" and Blogs to ATSNews where articles have to be "approved" before posting and moderators who lack "moderation". It seems to me that ATS has been adopting a rather cliquish philosophy. This displeases me.
Pyramid authority structures, while streamlined and manageable, tend to clamp down on new ideas and attitudes. They inevitably create a situation where those who've been "promoted" become more interested in pleasing their "superiors" then they do in "denying ignorance". They also frequently misinterpret orders from above, filter them through their own nuerological insecurities and apply them haphazardly and inconsistenly. I believe, these same sentiments have been posted by others.
I feel, that this creates an atmosphere where gaining points, good graces or approval becomes more important than the quality of the work.

"If I make 200 crappy posts I can get the points needed for the really GOOD forum." the Newbie says. However, the 'really good' forum has threads of people wanting to know why the quality of ATS posts have declined.

It may not be your fault! I feel this is endemic to our race. Humans have been conditioned to this for thousands of years and it has sympathy from our own need to be noticed or to "stand out from the crowd" by being "in the elite". I think its a failing in ourselves but it is certainly admired by authority.
I only point this out because I believe that ATS has always been an experiment, an attempt to create a forum for the dissemination of ideas and information in the chaos of the internet. I believe that ATTSNN or whatever its called IS a continuation of that philosophy, but I feel that there is an unnecessarily
defensive attitude when it comes to criticisms or critiques of policy. Also, when those that claim a "promoted" status circle the wagons and hurl invectives like "Love it or we'll stomp you", I feel that you alienate critical componets and perspectives from this "open and dynamic system".
Differences that make a difference. Being aware of non-reinforcing feedback and encouraging it.

Obviously the site is yours to do whatever you wish. There are many sides and perspectives to issues and conflicts. My statements are opinions, like everyone else, subject to the same neurological imprinting and conditioning flaws. I claim NO superior status...most of the time...
My one piece of advise; Clamp down on the yes-men and syncophants. Break their will to "Iago" a place on your website. It might seem flattering at first, but you will get infinetly more information, respect and the ability to make better choices along the way without them.
yours,
The Village Grouse

Of course on another level, its also "just a free internet forum" and if I don't like it...well...we all know what I can do.

Authority is an illusion in the mind of govenors - Lao Tse

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voice_of Doom Perhaps censoring is the wrong word in this situation. Maybe "collusion of ideas" is clearer. (explanation following) From "Really Above Top Secret" and Blogs to ATSNews where articles have to be "approved" before posting and moderators who lack "moderation". It seems to me that ATS has been adopting a rather cliquish philosophy. This displeases me.
Have you actually payed attention to ATSNN? Or is it more pleasurable for you to just grouse with "divisive" commentary? (for those who have seen this thread, great essay, you'll laugh at my use of "divisive") I think if you paid attention to the submitted stories, you'll notice that any idea/story presented with reasonably competent prose is accepted. Rather than practice conclusion jumping based on your narrow perception... perhaps you should look around.

I feel, that this creates an atmosphere where gaining points, good graces or approval becomes more important than the quality of the work.
However... it's the "quality of the work" that has gained these things. Can you honestly say that there are people on ATS who have received "approval" on anything other than their effort within the forums?

"If I make 200 crappy posts I can get the points needed for the really GOOD forum." the Newbie says.
Can you point out where this has happened?

However, the 'really good' forum has threads of people wanting to know why the quality of ATS posts have declined.
And it's been pointed out that there is some form of burn-out that people encounter somewhere between their second and fifth month on ATS. The novelty of their new discovery wears off. and the "perceived" quality diminishes because they are now familiar with ATS and the goings on of the community. Familiarity breeds contempt.

I believe that ATTSNN or whatever its called IS a continuation of that philosophy, but I feel that there is an unnecessarily defensive attitude when it comes to criticisms or critiques of policy.
Well... I've said before that "critique" of an admitted new effort that is a work in progress is premature. And I believe you can agree that the early criticism was harsh and quick. (Dumb Idea?) For those who have worked hard to get the idea off the ground, it came as a "body blow". Let's be fair on both sides.

Also, when those that claim a "promoted" status circle the wagons and hurl invectives like "Love it or we'll stomp you", I feel that you alienate critical componets and perspectives from this "open and dynamic system".
Well... ATS has always experienced a percentage of members (2%?) that evolve from contributing posters to disgruntled complainers for one reason or another. Anyone who has been here for three months or more knows the experience. These people tend to end up only complaining and not contributing. I'm not saying this happened here... but familiar patterns were noticed.

Obviously the site is yours to do whatever you wish.
To clarify, it's Simon's site.... he's been nice enough to trust me with many things... but nothing his down without Simon's approval.

My one piece of advise; Clamp down on the yes-men and syncophants. Break their will to "Iago" a place on your website. It might seem flattering at first, but you will get infinetly more information, respect and the ability to make better choices along the way without them.
It seems that in your mind, a sycophant is anyone who agrees with a common goal and attempts to enthusiastically help. I don't think I'd like to "clamp down" on that. [Edited on 6-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
You saw irritated responses to a series of posts from an exceptionally disruptive poster. You didn't see the bulk of the messages from this disruptive poster, because they've been removed.

Speaking of...is that person on universal ignore now? He's posting news articles now I can't even see.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Or does entering this thread place him on ignore?
Just curious.

[Edited on 3-1-2004 by RANT]

After reading through this unappealing thread, I just want to know if the above bit was addressed. Perhaps I've overlooked the explanation. I'd like to know more about this process because something similar recently caught my attention. There may be an existing thread that discusses these issues, but I've been a good girl so I don't know much about them.
Thanks, in advance, for a response.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Yes... in this case the disruptive member is on "global ignore" ... a type of virtual time-out until he feels up to offering an apology to board staff.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
VoiceofDoom,

I voted for you man because it is the spirit you displayed that also drives conspiracy theorists and which is so important to people that are really into this field or endeavour.

Simply it is to question anything that does not feel right or look right or sound right or...

It also includes not being afraid to question authority if you feel it is not playing fair.

I am not encouraging rebellion but rational and productive discussion that leads to greater truths.

Besides a good post for me is differing things, it can even be a very timely comment that seems to fully capture the mood of the discussion at hand or makes a good observation or conclusion that I can relate to.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Intelgurl,

yeah I like cats, VOD looks a bit like my cat too!

Jo

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I would here with like to make a public apology to Valhall and any other persons on this site that I may have offended.

I admit that some of my postings in December were uncalled for and regret my behaviour.

Sincerely

Jo

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Now if only management could learn to appologize... nah it ain't gonna happen.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO Now if only management could learn to appologize... nah it ain't gonna happen.
To whom... for what?

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
LOL! I know what you mean man, it is a burden to be perfect isn't it skeptic overlord!

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Now if only management could learn to appologize... nah it ain't gonna happen.

To whom... for what?

to him for conspiring to not give him the TWATS award, we know what you're up to.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   

LOL! I know what you mean man, it is a burden to be perfect isn't it skeptic overlord!

I've never known you to apologise for being wrong, you just go silent and hope the issue disappears you hypocrite.

Oh, except for thinking that Mars was closer to the Sun than Earth, but you couldn't exactly run away from that one could you...?

[Edited on 12-1-2004 by John Nada]

Jo

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Geesh guys / girls (before I am raked over the coals for being sexist too)

I hope I was the one as the runner up for the TWAT award!

Do I get a trophy?

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Nada,

why is it your job to attack members when they have a beef with any of the managment for any reason?

my guess is that you are in fact one of them posing as a member.

am I correct?

if so then you are worse than anyone you have ever attacked here IMHO.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
What's your beef again? So much has happened since then. Maybe you can help us out here.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
So now you have to defend NADA?

what is going on here anyways?

my beef is that you are unfair and corrupt that is my beef with you.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Nada,

why is it your job to attack members when they have a beef with any of the managment for any reason?

my guess is that you are in fact one of them posing as a member.

am I correct?

if so then you are worse than anyone you have ever attacked here IMHO.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

It's official everyone, this guy is dillusional. I'd call you crazy but that's an insult to crazy people. I am in no way a member of staff here, I am who I say I am. I know it's tough for you, because I'm against you I must be part of the powerful elite trying to bring your crusade down mustn't I?

Sorry to burst you bubble but that is not the case.

Oh, and what's with the plural? Members? I'm only attacking you (if you want to call it that, I'm mainly just pointing out your ignorance and arrogance) because you're asking for it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join