It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Passes Iraq Withdrawal Bill; Veto Threat Looms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Senate Passes Iraq Withdrawal Bill; Veto Threat Looms

www.9news.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Senators followed their defiant House counterparts' lead Thursday, passing a war funding bill that sets a deadline for withdrawing combat forces from Iraq by next year.

The bill passed 51-46 and now heads to President Bush, who has vowed to veto it.

GOP Sens. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska and Gordon Smith of Oregon joined Democrats in supporting the bill. Connecticut independent Joe Lieberman, who caucuses with the Democrats, voted with Republicans opposing it.

Passage sets the stage for a showdown between Bush and congressional Democrats, who do not appear to have the necessary two-thirds support to override the president's threatened veto.

Democrats will need the support of 67 senators to override a veto.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Showtime folks! It looks like the two parties are going head-to-head on this issue. It will be extremely interesting to see what transpires and who wins.

www.9news.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Occurs Bush will veto, he already said so.

This just a power struggle for Bush after having his way for 6 years. Now he will have to deal with a congress that is not of his liking.

I can way to see it veto and what will come next.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Occurs Bush will veto, he already said so.

This just a power struggle for Bush after having his way for 6 years. Now he will have to deal with a congress that is not of his liking.

I can way to see it veto and what will come next.

I think we are all waiting to see what happens next this is going to mean the election for one side of the other, on how it is handled or not.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I agree, but at the end it will come to supporting the troops that already has been committed to this endless war in Iraq.

Is not their fault that they are in that nation.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Even though I'm glad to see this passed, it is unfortunate that they do
not have enough votes to overrule his veto of the bill.

I wonder how long it will be before gets pissy and says something
along the lines that the congress should do what he says.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Here is what I think is going to happen it will become a mudslinging political platform just before elections.

And our troops that are in this quagmire will suffer because of the selfishness on both sides.

I know that the troops there are doing the best they can, with what they have and I am proud of there efforts. I want to see them home and with their families.

new topics

top topics

join