It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tutorial 1, How to � Put up an Avatar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I see a lot of people who first come here asking how to put up an avatar (a mini picture below your name), so I thought I would make a step by step guide with photos, so, here goes! (ps dont blame me if it goes wrong!

Step 1

In the top right hand side of your screen at the top of this page (and any other page) you will see next to your name, 2 buttons [logout] and [Control Panel] click your mouse on the Control Panel button as shown in the below image.

Step 2

After Clicking on the Control Panel Button, you will see the following screen.

Click the Tab called [Edit Profile] as shown above this will take you to the part of your ATS account where you can edit your settings.

Step 3

Once you enter the [Edit Profile] page scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will find the Avatar URL: box as shown below in the photo.

Reminder Avatars can only be a maximum dimension of 160 pixels wide, by 320 pixels tall.

If you already know the location of the image that you would like as you avatar, please enter it in the space shown in the photo above, then click the [Edit Profile] button at the bottom of the page, If you do not however know how to get a URL of a photo you would like as you avatar please move onto step 4.

Step 4

Browse the Internet for a picture you decide you would like for your avatar, then when you find one you like (bearing in mind the guidelines for image size as laid out above) proceed to move your mouse over the image and right click the mouse, you will see a menu similar to the one below (This is Internet Explorer, Netscape users may have different menus) at the bottom of the menu please click on Properties.

Step 5

When the following window comes up, copy the field titled Address: (URL) to do this hi-light the address as shown below, and hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard and press �C� at the same time, this will copy the hi-lighted text into the computers memory,

Then just go back to Step 3 in this tutorial and put your cursor in the box titled [Avatar URL] and Hold Down the CTRL key on your keyboard and press �V� at the same time and this will Paste the address of the Image you have just copied in Step 4

I hope this workes for you, if it doesn't feel free to U2U me and i'll try and work out what I've done wrong!

[Edited on 1-1-2004 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Very nicely done DJ.

Maybe you can a mod to 'stick' this with the thread that I believe ProudAmerican once had entitled something to the degree of "how to on Avatars".....

Again....very nice job though DJ. I certainly could have used this when I first joined ATS many months ago.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Great tutorial DJ. I will refer people to this link whenever people ask. It will help out tremendously. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Another thing to remember people is that the filesize of your avatar has to be smaller than 75k.

!

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Wow great work Dj!!!

i will be sure to send new members here for getting started with there avatars....

this is great for me to as i had no idea how to even start getting an avatar up....computer thick me lol

so pics of what to press is perfect!!

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
DJDOHBOY,
You just got my "Way Above" vote....
Nice Job!

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Well I don't get to vote for the Way Above Award but I can applaud and I have.

Very clear it should stop alot of future questions.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Yes! I finally have an avatar all thanks to you!!

:::applause:::

you get my way above vote. I thank you kindly.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hey, it's Doc Emmitt L. Brown obviously in his younger days. I never watched Taxi, but I pretty much know BTTF word for word. Are you a fan?

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Of course. Love BTTF. I was actually looking for a picture from weird science where they have the bras on their heads but I stumbled accross this picture on google...Liked it so i kept it.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:44 AM
link   
WoW Nice One That Was so Easy
Thank You DJDOHBOY
You Get My Vote

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
That's an excellent tutorial!

You have my vote.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Ok I truly hope this isnt a stupid question...but what if the pic I want to use is on my hard drive?

heh...I figured it out...the ONE photo NASA doesnt want you to see...

[Edited on 21-1-2004 by cyberpilot]

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I wish I had read this before maybe I wouldnt have had a red X as a avatar since I started:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
thanks for those steps..it helped out alot

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
And if the picture is too big is there a way to make it smaller?

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJDOHBOY

Thank you for the instructions so much!!! I've been wondering how to do it. Very clear.

top topics

join