It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Direct X 10 on XP with a direct X 9 videocard???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn on April 21, 2007 - 4:30 PM

It's called the Alky project; and the goal: trying to port DirectX 10 back to Windows XP. And although a great idea I say there are three variables that you need to get DX10 games running in Windows XP. First off, the actual game, then DX10 ... and here's where I think the project can fail .. your graphics card driver needs to be DX10 compatible. The latter one poses the biggest issue.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

LINK

It may not be perfect-handling dx10 with the cpu not gpu, but it may allow XP with DX9 videocards to run dx10 games.

Don't believe all the M$ BS hype.
It seems you need NOT have vista or a new dx10 videocard!!!!

This will not bode well for the sales of Vista as dx10 was about the only performance performance enhancement left in Vista.

Will Vista soon recieve the same fate as 98ME???

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Don't believe all the M$ BS hype.
Never, from Microsoft or anyone else.

It seems you need NOT have vista or a new dx10 videocard!!!!
That depends, as they (MS) are the ones who made DX10, they can enforce it to run on specific conditions, i.e. Windows Vista and/or DX10 video card. They also have the power to force the video card manufacturers to follow their rules, so the videocard drivers may not run on XP.

I always found OpenGL better than DirectX, but Microsoft's goal is to replace it with DX.

Will Vista soon recieve the same fate as 98ME???
Not from me.

Windows 98 was installed on my computer for only half an hour.

Windows ME was even worse. It came pre-installed on my sister's computer but was quickly replaced by Windows 2000.

Windows Vista is good, it may have problems for many people who use it (I haven't any major problem), but it has many enhancements over Windows XP and is supposed to pave the way for new (and dropped from Vista due to longer development times) technologies.

PS: Windows Server codename "Longhorn" is available as a Beta 3 from here.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Funnily enough the latest opengl does everything Direct X 10 can do.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Thats because Open GL is well... open. lol.

Cheers to the open programming community.

It doesnt matter what Microsoft tries to do, other OS's will always do it better, cleaner, and more efficient. Mac and Linux will be seeing quite the boost in dominance over the next few years... all thanks to Microsoft overstepping their boundaries.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Thats because Open GL is well... open. lol.
No, that is because OpenGL is older (although not much) and was started by what was at the time the biggest company related to 3D computer work, SGI.

And DirectX is not only Direct3D, the OpenGL rival, it also has sound and "human interface" areas.

Mac and Linux will be seeing quite the boost in dominance over the next few years... all thanks to Microsoft overstepping their boundaries.
I have heard that many times in the last 20 years, in fact, Apple had a bigger slice of the market some years ago.

PS: OpenGL works almost as well in Vista as it does in XP, at least according to the Khronos OpenGL ARB Working Group, as you can see here.

top topics

join