It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wicked looking anti tank system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I wanted to share something i stumbled across in one of the posts. Check out the vid

For those of you who dont speak Russian
this is a highly mobile amphibious unit built on an APC shassis designed specifically against tanks. It can also wipe out some boats, low flying craft and even bunkers. Max speed is quoted at 70 km/h, and up to 50 on rough terrain. But heres where it gets interesting. Instead of a turret you have a robotic arm that exctracts a launching tube (or two) from the storage compartment. Once theyre empty, it puts them back for reloading or transport. The Hrizantema carries 15 supersonic missiles that can fly as far as 6 km to penetrate 1250 mm of steel behind reactive armor
Missiles can be simultaneously guided towards 2 different targets by means of radar and IR systems. Seems like a really sweet concept to me. The biggest problem that i see: while automatic, reloading still takes a couple of minutes. If they can get that to be done faster and perhaps enable the vehicle to fire on the move- it would kick some major ass

Questions, comments, communist bashing?

edit: wait maybe it CAN fire while moving. not sure about that, because theres no indication in the video anyhow. i would think mobility is one of the greatest assets for this thing

[edit on 26-4-2007 by gone_wrong]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
1250mm of RHA...BEHIND ERA!? That is incredible. That will penetrate anything.

Do you think the missiles are fast enough to get through active protection systems like TROPHY?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
this thing will have M1a2 for dinner yum yum ...

anyways the khristema is meant to deal with merkava, m1a2 and leopard 2 type tanks

this missile must definitely be using tandem charges likr RPG-29 vampir

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It can also shoot down helicopters as well by the way.

good system. I personally think this would be a very effective urban combat system since anti-tank warheads are also effective against buildings.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
That is a sweet vid man, would not want to be on the angry side of that bad boy.

Check out apx 2.33 in to the vid. You can see the actual point each of the missiles breaks the sound barrier cos of the dirt kicked up from the ground. - impressed me any how

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackWidow23
1250mm of RHA...BEHIND ERA!? That is incredible.

Not really, kinetic penetrators (basically a five foot long six inch thick steel rod) traveling at hypersonic speeds will penetrate any tank armor available, and it does not care about ERA. They rely on mass and speed which results in a lot of kinetic energy, no explosives are used (this missiles might have some sort of proximity fuse though...). Some other kinetic systems include, KEM, CKEM, HATM.

TROPHY or other similar systems are not designed for this type of threat, they are meant to stop RPG type weapons, not fast kinetic missiles or APFSDS rounds. These projectiles travel at supersonic or hypersonic speeds and they are essentially a flying metal dart. What happens if you shoot a six inch thick metal pole with a shotgun, nothing serious, do the same to an RPG and you have a different results. They cannot destroy APFSDS or kinetic rounds and they will not be able to deflect them from getting a hit (if they can deflect them at all).

As for the Abrams being dinner, I suggest you look up the MRM-KE which has a range of 12km and an advanced guidance package.

[edit on 26-4-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think it was more show and no go as far as being a "Tank buster", a bunker buster for sure, but the only tank shot showed them within 5 ft of the opposing tank, then they just cut to the next frame. I would place bets on our defenses any day. Although they did roll and bounce pretty damn fast would hate to see a couple dozen of them unload on the SanDiego coast line in the middle of the night!

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I didnt mean penetrators, I meant the missiles that this system shot. I know there isnt much an APS can do against KE penetrators. I went to knob creek and happened to buy one
its heavy...wow.

As for eating the M1A2 for breakfast...yum yum. Same thing with every single other tank in existence, including T-90, Leopard 2, and the Challenger I. As for the Chally 2, no one knows how much RHA dorchester equates to...

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
looks like a handy all rounder, with a sort of 'hit n run' strategy behind its make up, driver must have fun

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I didnt mean penetrators, I meant the missiles that this system shot.

The missile is just a casing for the motor and guidance package, at the heart of it is a KE penetrator (metal rod), destroy the casing and you still have the KE round coming at you at hypersonic speed.

As for the Chally 2, no one knows how much RHA dorchester equates to...

The Challenger 2 and MIA2 SEP have similar levels of protection, not that it matters anyway as a proper KE missile cannot be stopped by any passive tank armor in production.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The Americans are designing a strealth tank invisible to radar. So this machine may not work against it. We will just have to wait and see.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   

1250mm of RHA...BEHIND ERA!? That is incredible. That will penetrate anything.

Do you think the missiles are fast enough to get through active protection systems like TROPHY?

Yeah. Apparently its the most powerful missile of its type or something.. well thats what the video says anyway

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by vK_man
this thing will have M1a2 for dinner yum yum ...

anyways the khristema is meant to deal with merkava, m1a2 and leopard 2 type tanks

this missile must definitely be using tandem charges likr RPG-29 vampir

en.wikipedia.org...

I didnt know it could fire FAE- thats awesome))))

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
When does every citizen get one? After all if the intent of the amendment for citizens to bear arms was to make it impossible for tyranny to overcome them -

I mean, it's not muskets anymore....

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Wait...I thought these missiles were HEAT...can someone post a quote otherwise?

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Wait...I thought these missiles were HEAT...can someone post a quote otherwise?

both HEAT and FAE , read this:

[edit] Specifications
Length: 2.057 m
Diameter: 150 mm
Wingspan: 310 mm
Range: 400 m to 6000 m
Warhead:
9M123 Tandem HEAT with a reported penetration of 1200 mm versus RHA
9M123F Fuel air explosive
Speed: 400 m/s
en.wikipedia.org...

AT-15 is the NATO reporting name for the Russian 9M123 Khrizantema (Russian: "Chrysanthemum") radar-guided or laserbeam-riding anti-tank missile system. It was designed to deal with the latest generation of main battle tanks including the M1A2 and the Leopard 2. It can also be used to engage slow flying helicopters.
en.wikipedia.org...

As for the Abrams being dinner, I suggest you look up the MRM-KE which has a range of 12km and an advanced guidance package.

as the turret is nonexistent in the tank destroyer(extremely low profile) , it is at an advantage in forest and urban environment(though not desert ), provided that are no recon drones in the battlefield

Not really, kinetic penetrators (basically a five foot long six inch thick steel rod) traveling at hypersonic speeds will penetrate any tank armor available, and it does not care about ERA

if you are refering to losat anti-tank KE ,then its different ,
but if a simple KE penetrator, then no ,
read:

Kontakt-5 is a type of third-generation explosive reactive armour originating in the Soviet Union. It is the first type of ERA which is effectively able to defeat modern armour-piercing fin-stabilized discarding sabot (APFSDS) rounds.
Introduced on the T-80U tank in 1985, Kontakt-5 is made up of "bricks" of explosive sandwiched between two metal plates. The plates are arranged in such a way as to move sideways rapidly when the explosive detonates. This will force an incoming KE-penetrator or shaped charge jet to cut through more armour than the thickness of the plating itself, since "new" plating is constantly fed into the penetrating body. A KE-penetrator will also be subjected to powerful sideways forces, which might be large enough to cut the rod into two or more pieces. This will significantly reduce the penetrating capabilities of the penetrator, since the penetrating force will be dissipated over a larger volume of armour.

The effectiveness of Kontakt-5 ERA was confirmed by tests run by the German Bundeswehr and the US Army. The Germans confirmed that in tests, the K-5, mounted on older T-72 tanks, 'shattered' their 120mm DM-53 penetrators, and in the US, Jane's IDR's Pentagon correspondent Leland Ness confirmed that "When fitted to T-72 tanks, the 'heavy' ERA made them immune to the DU penetrators of M829 APFSDS, fired by the 120 mm guns of the US M1 Abrams tanks, which were among the most formidable tank gun projectiles at the time." This is of course, provided that the round strikes the ERA, which only covers 60% of the frontal aspect of the T-72 series tank mounted with it.

Newer KE penetrators like the US M829A2 and now M829A3, have been improved to defeat the armor design of Kontakt-5 (although Kontakt-5 has been improved as well; see T-84 and T-90) . The M829A2 was the immediate response, developed in part to take on the new armor bricks. The M829A3 is a further improvement of this as well and designed to fight future armor protection methods. As a response to M829A3 russian army produced new type of ERA, Relikt, most modern russian ERA, which is claimed to be twice as effective as Kontakt-5.

en.wikipedia.org...

Not really, kinetic penetrators (basically a five foot long six inch thick steel rod) traveling at hypersonic speeds

currently no steel penetrator is used(as they are obsolete) , if you are refering in relattion to LOSAT or CKEM , these use monocrystal tungsten carbide based pentrator

Instead of using a High Explosive Anti-Tank warhead like other anti-tank missiles, the LOSAT employed a solid tungsten kinetic energy penetrator to punch through armor
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 27-4-2007 by vK_man]

[edit on 27-4-2007 by vK_man]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
That is a sweet vid man, would not want to be on the angry side of that bad boy.

Check out apx 2.33 in to the vid. You can see the actual point each of the missiles breaks the sound barrier cos of the dirt kicked up from the ground. - impressed me any how

I saw that too, pretty neat

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by deaman88
looks like a handy all rounder, with a sort of 'hit n run' strategy behind its make up, driver must have fun

Oh yeaaa- it would be so fun driving that, it can even swim through the water at 10 km/h
Now imagine they slap on a more powerful radar and increase the engagement envelope- give it some more AntiAircraft capabilities like that)))))

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I think it was more show and no go as far as being a "Tank buster", a bunker buster for sure, but the only tank shot showed them within 5 ft of the opposing tank, then they just cut to the next frame.

I suggest you look another time. This unit is designed as an anti tank platform.

Originally posted by antar
Although they did roll and bounce pretty damn fast would hate to see a couple dozen of them unload on the SanDiego coast line in the middle of the night!

The Hrizantema is not an offensive weapon. But you could give it some upgrades to make it one...
I hear theyre working on a air portable version right now

new topics

top topics

join