It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Physics says Good-bye to "Reality"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Quantum Physics Says Goodbye To Reality

by Jon Cartwright
20 April 2007
physicsweb.org...

Some physicists are uncomfortable with the idea that all individual quantum events are innately random. This is why many have proposed more complete theories, which suggest that events are at least partially governed by extra "hidden variables".

I think this is revolutionary. Quantum physics is not only changing the consciousness of man, it is leading us to a view of ourselves that the mystics of old have told us for eons.

I celebrate this.

[edit on 29-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This is why the experts are moving more towards writting papers instead of books because by the time the book is published the idea is past tense. Things are moving so fast!

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
This is why the experts are moving more towards writting papers instead of books because by the time the book is published the idea is past tense. Things are moving so fast!

Antar, very true. It's amazing how every year knowledge increases ten-fold. We are headed towards something and it's something big. A bunch of people's world views are going to come tumbling down like the walls of Jericho.

[edit on 26-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
great thread so far. i agree wholeheartedly. changes are imminent. we are going to realize that we are far more powerful than any science. first tho, we must find science can overcome our necessity. then we can become the great beings we have been evolving into for the past 1.26 billion year long cycle ;p

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Well,12SeVeN34, I have always viewed science as nothing more,or less, than a tool. I think it's important to realize that most scientists want to know many of the same things everyone else does.

While most have viewed science as an enemy of spirituality and religion, I view it as something that attempts to qualify those things. The scientist says, "Yeah, it's well and good to believe in this that and the other, but I want to be shown that I am not mistaken in my beliefs." Science is headed towards a view of the world that is diametrically different than it had, 100 years ago, or even 50 years ago.

It's really amazing.

[edit on 26-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Great find SOT

Now physicists from Austria claim to have performed an experiment that rules out a broad class of hidden-variables theories that focus on realism -- giving the uneasy consequence that reality does not exist when we are not observing it (Nature 446 871).

I thought this is what the double slit experiment proved long ago.

Everything is a wave of possibility until its observed and collapses the wave function.

Although the video is a cartoon it gets the point across.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Etshrtslr, great video... I am somewhat familiar with the slit experiment, but never had it explained to me in that much detail. Thanks for the video!!

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Etshrtslr, I also found this video which accurately defines the way we react to things out of the ordinary.

urately

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Obviously this is blowing my mind a little...lol...but I was wondering if they are sure that it is actually the observance of this process that makes them act differently...or is it the physical body of something that gets in the way?

I tried to word that as best as possible.

That second video kind of puts our existence into perspective doesn't it?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It's rather difficult to comprehend the true nature of reality. The fact that literally anything is possible on the quantum scale, and yet "reality" only exists when you're looking at it makes me wonder if the "deciding factor" on the quantum scale has something to do with us, i.e. mind, consciousness, etc. It's the kind of thing that drives an unprepared mind mad.

Check out this link for a great series of video's about physics and reality:

www.pbs.org...

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I think that H: Bortof philosophy on interpretation on Quantum Physics is truly necessary to understand what QP is all about and how is connected to our reality:

“Two-level theory means that there are two levels: a microcosmic and a macrocosmic level. The macrocosmic level means that you look at the measurement. Everything comes down to a measurement.

I think that the two-level theory is misleading. Goethe made the distinction between the kind of thinking which begins with the finished product, the object, and the dynamical thinking, which looks, instead at the coming-into-being of that object. The point of quantum physics is not to differentiate into two levels but to look at the coming-into-being of entities.

People say that quantum physics and the micro-level are based on probability structures, but the mathematics tells you it isn’t. The wave function is a complex number. But probability can only be a real number. The quantum physics is not a level of probability. Only when you come down to the measurement can you encounter the phenomenon of probability. The question is, what is before the measurement? Before the measurement is the coming into being of entities. This is a purely dynamical condition.“

www.dialogonleadership.org...

Locality vs non-locality!? False dilemma. Its unity but is different. It is dynamic manifest of parts. Multiplicity of One. Of whole.

Through parts whole is manifesting itself. The part is whole.

[edit on 27-4-2007 by blue bird]

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

(added source link)

[edit on 1-11-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Well if it is up to us then we would actually be able to do anything we wanted IF we could understand how to utilize the mechanics of it, wouldn't we?

Very interesting stuff... makes me wonder if all the weirdness in our lives actually derives from QP. Things we think (or do) see, feel, smell...

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I guess the new answer to the question:

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it, did the tree actually fall?

We now know that if a tree falls in the forest and nobody observes it, the tree is not there at all.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
I guess the new answer to the question:
We now know that if a tree falls in the forest and nobody observes it, the tree is not there at all.

Only, there is nobody to observe the event... also Schrödinger cat EXIST in the box - dead or alive...

Einstein's position was clear: "I think that a particle must have a separate reality independent of the measurements. That is an electron has spin, location and so forth even when it is not being measured. I like to think that the moon is there even if I am not looking at it.

What is behind measuring...is to be descovered....than we will know about “hidden variable“.

In any case,photon (on double slit experiment) EXIST whether it is measured or not....:

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Those videos are from a documentary/movie called "What the Bleep Do We Know?"

If your interested in this kind of subject matter, I highly recommend it.
They explain the phenomenon of the "observer", quantum entanglement, the collapsing wave function, etc.

You'll never look at quantum physics the same again.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I've always felt that what we perceive as "reality" is only a lower-dimensional shadow of a "higher reality".

It's analogous to the 2-dimensional shadow of a cube compared to the actual 3-dimensional cube.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mota
Obviously this is blowing my mind a little...lol...but I was wondering if they are sure that it is actually the observance of this process that makes them act differently...or is it the physical body of something that gets in the way?

I tried to word that as best as possible.

That second video kind of puts our existence into perspective doesn't it?

The thing is, in the light experiment, there were only two,count them, two slits, yet, the light refracted into 4 to six lines.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
I've always felt that what we perceive as "reality" is only a lower-dimensional shadow of a "higher reality".

Well, there is the theory of the holographic universe. However, in order for something to be a hologram, there has to be an original object. If this theory is/were true, then where the original object is is the real enigma.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I have to apologize........(I guess to myself)....you are all a figment of my imagination and don't really exist.

Actually it would mean that I am the totality of existence........

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Nice thread speaker, kinda makes you wonder what reality is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join