It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Handguns for CCW

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
So I will be 21 soon, and I plan on trying for my CCW. I have weapons already, and experience as well, but I do not own any that I would want to carry on me everyday. I was wondering what your preferred choice in a compact handgun to carry on daily basis would be. I will need help choosing so please show your input, it would be much appriciated.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by thexsword
So I will be 21 soon, and I plan on trying for my CCW. I have weapons already, and experience as well, but I do not own any that I would want to carry on me everyday. I was wondering what your preferred choice in a compact handgun to carry on daily basis would be. I will need help choosing so please show your input, it would be much appriciated.

Springfield mil-spec 1911 .45 with 4 inch barrel in car.

Beretta .40 96D centurion, 4.25 inch barrel and trijicons on person

Wife carries Berretta that is same as above.

Remember, more important than weapon choice, caliber or holster type/location is a reliable weapon that you can properly handle and use.

All the fancy stuff is useless if you can’t hit your target.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I myself do not have a ccw permit right now but have
done a bit of researching on the type of carry piece
I will buy when I do get a permit, which will happen
soon.
The carry weapon should be a medium frame pistol,
approx 4" barrel in a caliber that you would feel
comfortable with.
The one feature you would want to avoid as much
as possible would be an external hammer that could get
caught on the holster/clothing if you ever have to draw
on someone/something.
It would be at the very least a little embarrasing if
you accidentally discharged because the hammer
got snagged and cocked.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Factors to consider are numerous, but may include;

Revolver or auto - Nowadays very few people carry revolvers. However, bear in mind that they have several advantages. They are usually extremely reliable. The stoppage drill is extremely fast (just pull the trigger again). However, they have too many disadvantages for my liking. They are (on average) about 30% wider than a semi. They have very limited capacity (5-6 rounds). They are slow to reload. Modern semis from a decent manufacturer will tend to be very reliable, so this is not really a consideration. In short, a revolver will protect you as will a semi, but a semi has the edge in my opinion. The choice is very personal, so I'll let you decide.

Calibre - Minimum of 9mm in pistols, .38 Special in revolvers. There are countless threads and debates on calibre so I won't start another. Suffice to say that the majority of shooters on here will probably agree with these minimums.

Capacity - Not really an issue with revolvers, but more so with pistols. Some say the more the better. Others say you don't need more than 7-8 rounds if you know what you're doing. I for one would carry a weapon with a minimum capacity of 10 rounds given the choice. I'd rather have these rounds an not need them than vice versa. Handguns are relatively low powered weapons, and no one can guarantee a first round stop in any pistol calibre (no matter what they say). Also there is no guarantee that you will be facing a single adversary. There are too many variables that can go wrong in a shooting. Bear in mind however that big capacities = bigger grips (usually), so this may have a bearing on concealability. I carried a Walther P5C for many years, which has a capacity of 8+1, but this is because it was what I was issued. Given the choice I would have probably gone for sometthing with a few more rounds on tap.

Finish - CCWs are carry often, use little weapons. Therefore they will be subject to lots os sweat and other forms of moisture. With proper cleaning any finish will do, but stainless will make this a bit easier. Some companies offer after market finishes that are excellent (Robar etc.), but these will cost.

Sights - High vis sights with a tritium insert will make low-light shooting a lot easier. I personnally prefer 3-dot configuration, but some prefer other types. The main thing to consider is that they can be picked up quickly. Try a few different types, see what works for you.

Size - This depends on the carry method chosen. For example an IWB holster lends itself to longer weapons as the barrel helps stabalise the pistol. An outside waistband holster in the same carry position wouls be better suited to a shorter barrel in order to cut the chancs of the muzzle sticking out below the outer garment. Width is a more important factor in concealed carry, as a thinner weapon leaves less of a bulge. This can be corrected to an extent with decent gun leather however.

In summery, My choice would be a semi auto in at least 9mm witha hard wearing finish. It will have a double figure capacity and be topped with a decent set of high-vis sights. I carry outside the waistband on the strong side, so it will have a short barrel length.

These are my opinions, and others may differ, but I think that if you stick to the above guidelines you won't go too far wrong.

[edit on 26-4-2007 by PaddyInf]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I carry a 2" Charter Arms .38 with a bobbed hammer most of the time.

If I know Ill be out late or in a less than hospitable area Ill carry my Sprinfield XD .45 4".

I find the .38 isnt so wide. I can just hang my t-shirt over it and I can just throw it im ny pocket. I also like that it isnt really possible for a revolver to just fire unless I pull the trigger. Ive thrown it across the room, dropped it and had it slide 6 feet and gotten slammed up against a wall without it going off.

I know the pin on the Springfield shouldnt and probably wont ever drop unless I pull the trigger but theres something about knowing when its cocked that its just millimeters away from the primer that makes me a little uneasy. Though I have dropped it onto hard ground a few times with no accidents.

Just a not, Im not incredibly clumsy. I dropped them to make myself feel better about misfires and did so in a safe place in a safe direction

I was considering getting a smaller semi-auto. Maybe a 3" 10mm or something. I have to do a little research.

The most important thing is to get something that youre comfortable with both physically and mentally.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Thank you guys very much, I appriciate all of the help. I really like some of the guns you have given off. I was also looking at a beretta tomcat, and this new para micro 9. What do you guys think about those weapons? I'm kind of iffy on the tomcat due to such a low caliber, and I have never heard anything about this para.

I was also thinking if nothing else, although a tad bit larger than what i want, a glock 36, .45. What do you guys think about that?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Glock 19 is what I carry everyday, Compact, 9mm, 14 round cap, accurate, and damn reliable.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
you can get a smith and wesson "airlite" snubnose revolver in .38 special,if you can handle the recoil,and it will have plenty of power in a self defense situation,especially if you use hydra-shok rounds. or,if you're on a budget,get the high point .380,9mm,0r .45 acp. they'll run you from $100 to $200, depending on what caliber you get. capacity is about 7+1 rounds,which isn't the best, although i think the .45 has an extended clip.
ALWAYS USE THE HYDRA SHOKS...

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
well a .45 would soute someone well, plus the police use them so you know there a good weapon

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I myself carry the Sig Sauer P239 in a .40S&W. It is the exact same gun carried by the Dept. of Homeland Security, Federal Marshals, Secret Service and preferred by many police officers, FBI, ATF and CAI agents.

Learn more about it here.

The thing I really appreciate about this piece is that it is extremely well balanced and easy to handle. Recoil is somewhat negated by the balance and the design of the firing/loading system. I recommend getting it with the iridium night sites for easiar target acquisition regardless of lighting.

Another great feature is NO SAFETY! Yeah, I know, it sounds dangerous but it's not. The trigger is dual action; 3.5 lbs. when fully cocked and 7 lbs. long trigger pull when the hammer is released. Why is this good? Well, most part-time gun handlers are going to forget to release the safety in their time of "need." This weapon is simple draw, aim and pull.

For the record, I use Federal Hydro-Shock rounds. Greater stopping power and far less over-penetration. Be careful using a 9mm... due tot he high velocity and small size of the round, it may tend to over-penetrate and lack some of the stopping power that you desire in a CCW piece. Also, avoid a hand cannon. You'll find it heavy, bulky, difficult to conceal and even more difficult to resight after you fire due to it's recoil.

Lastly. DO NOT even bother going this route unless you have the required training AND you have the will to use it if necessary. Carrying a loaded weapon does NOT make one cool, look cool nor does it deter much crime - since it's concealed. If you draw this weapon, you must be prepared to use it as an armed perp likely won't hesitate seeing you put the drop on him. Good luck and congratulations on exercising your freedom!

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I also have a .32 Tomcat but you are correct it is a small caliber. But it does make a nice ankle weapon if you need a back up. As far as auto versus a wheel gun I would always select the wheel gun for the reliability. Even today's firearms as reliable as they are, are prone to failure. That failure is NOT predictable in anyway. The simplicity of a airlite S&W is very appealing for not only that but the hammerless frame and the small size. You get everything you need from that gun and if you need 10 rounds or more from an automatic weapon you are in more trouble than you think, as most criminals will run from a couple of shots off their bow from a "victim."

Carry safely and responsibly.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   
If you are serious about carrying a CCW (and you should be), then carry something that will do the job. A CCW should be a good compromise between firepower and concealability.

Very compact pistols in small calibres (.380ACP or smaller) are easy to keep hidden and are better than nothing, but may not be up to the job in the life or death situation that they are required for. If you are going to carry these, then use them as a backup, not a primary.

The SIG P239 looks like a decent option. Small and available in useful calibres. If I was going for a SIG I would probably go a step up and go with a P229 in 9mm or .40, just for the extra few rounds and a more ergonomic grip. Other options might be something in the Glock range. The Glock 36 is a decent choice if you can handle .45s (and a lot of people can't). My choice would probably be a model 19 (9mm) or 23 (.40).

As for your last comment DagoTime, you say that MOST will run away after a couple of shots, but there are plenty of times that they won't. Quite surprising how many crack addicts don't even realise they are being shot after the first 2 - 3 rounds. Armed gangs full of hormones are on the increase, and many or these boys are starting to wear body armour (crazy I know). Plenty of times they are more worried about how they look in front of their mates instead of being shot. Experience shows that they can be pretty slow to back down, even after shots are fired.

As for carrying safely and responsibly, I've been carrying off duty in N. Ireland since 1990. I have taught this subject to soldiers who have to carry concealed in N. Ireland. I'm not making this stuff up. My comments are based on past shooting reports from Ulster and around the world, mostly the USA and Africa. I take this very seriously, and I believe that if you are faced with an armed opponent you will want as much gun as you can carry. This has to be weighed against the need to conceal the weapon.

My general rule of thumb is carry as much gun as you can while still being able to conceal it properly.

[edit on 28-4-2007 by PaddyInf]

[edit on 28-4-2007 by PaddyInf]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'd like to thank you all for the help. I have yet to purchase a new weapon but have saved enough funds to get the job done, now i just have about 5 weeks before I turn 21. I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to get, but I will most likely get a glock 36 or a glock 26.

What I like about the glock 36 is that it is a thinline, and it's still pretty small. .45 caliber which is perfect but it only hold 7 rounds. The glock 26 is close in size but even smaller, but still wider. It's a 9mm and holds 13 rounds with an extended clip I believe. My stepfather owns both and loves them both.

I'm stuck between these two as being my first concealed carry weapon.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
you might also want to look at some of the taurus small/compact frame revolvers. i'm on a budget myself,so i got a taurus 605 snubnose with a one inch barrel in .357 magnum/.38 special for $300. it only holds five shots,but with .357 magnum,one is all you need.

[edit on 23-6-2007 by ka47]

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ka47
you might also want to look at some of the taurus small/compact frame revolvers. i'm on a budget myself,so i got a taurus 605 snubnose with a one inch barrel in .357 magnum/.38 special for $300. it only holds five shots,but with .357 magnum,one is all you need.

[edit on 23-6-2007 by ka47]

Taurus is a good buy for the price. I've got a Taurus PT945 .45 semi-auto. It seems solid and has been super reliable at the range.
They also make a .41 magnum revolver which is small, concealable, and packs a hell of a punch.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Of your choices I would suggest you go with the Glock 26.

The 36 is an anomaly in the Glock line up since it is a single stack that will not accept the magazines (not clips) of larger weapons, i.e. the G26 will take the 15 rounders from the G19, the 17 rounders from the G17, and the 33 round super extended 9mm mags.

Reliability with the G36 can also be a little patchy based on some reports, where the G26 is generally stone cold reliable. The price of .45ACP FMJ is also roughly twice the cost of 9mm FMJ, so you will practice twice as much for the same price.

Remember to get some training, and consider taking out CCW insurance, I believe that everyone should, but few do. If you're interested there are links on the NRA website.

Bottom line, the G26 is a good choice, and make sure you get a custom moulded Kydex holster for carry, it gives good peace of mind when you start thinking about "that 5 pound trigger" as you bend over to pick something up

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
wow, a snubnosed .41 magnum???? nice....

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
I myself carry the Sig Sauer P239 in a .40S&W. It is the exact same gun carried by the Dept. of Homeland Security, Federal Marshals, Secret Service and preferred by many police officers, FBI, ATF and CAI agents.

Learn more about it here.

The Sig P239 in .40 is also what I carry.

I lived in Florida when all the hurricanes were rolling through and after Katrina I decided a reliable weapon would be as important as water in an emergency.

The P239 is also available in 9mm but if you get the .40 model, a .357 barrel is interchangable. It seems like a small weapon for the heavy caliber but the balance/weight makes it much easier to reaquire your target after a shot. This pistol seem to drop right back on target immediately.

It is an expensive weapon but I got a really good deal bringing cash to the gunshow.

Be sure to have your pistol of choice with you when you pick a holster. The holster is extremely important and it must fit both you and your weapon perfectly.

Lots of good choices being discussed here but whichever you choose remember- practice, practice, practice!

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Another option for the .45 in a sub-compact, would be the GLOCK 30. It holds 10 in the mag, and is designed as a "pocket pistol". I've got my State CPL/Concealed Pistol License, and that is what I carry.

It is light, easy to dis-assemble & re-assemble, and has fewer parts than most pistols. Easy to clean and maintain, plus the police instructor who gave us our class, said they have fired over 10,000 rounds through their GLOCKS with out any problems.

There are many options though, and you just have to find what fits ya best.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I recommend something that you can kick some serious booty with, like the Glock34 9mm..... most people complain about the long barrel, but that is what makes it so darn devastating. A 1911 makes a good chioce (i like the 5" barrel 1911's) Para-ordinance makes good hi-cap 1911's. A revolver makes a good ccw because they can be pretty small, i have a ruger sp101 .357 mag with a 2" barrel, it fits in my pocket, and has a serious amount of whoop-ass. My favorite ccw, is my caspian 1911 with .460 rowland kit. It has a comp, and .44 mag ballistics, so shooting it with no earplugs will cost some hearing down the road, but what a nasty amount of firepower, especially with a 10 round mag.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join