It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video-Games Not To Blame For Violence

page: 1

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:30 PM

Recently on "This Week with George Stephanopoulos," Gingrich said that “young people are being dehumanized by violence in video games.” Blaming entertainment for real-world ills is a popular pastime, but Gingrich’s statement has no basis in science.

Despite decades of research , there is no proven link between video game violence and real-world violence.

If violent entertainment caused real violence, logic would dictate that the violent crime rate would have skyrocketed in recent years. In fact, exactly the opposite occurred: Violent crime has dropped significantly over the past 20 years—just as video games have become more prevalent and more violent. In fact, one could make the (equally illogical) argument that violent video games actually decrease violent crimes.

I'm not a religious person, but Hallelujah that someone is saying it.

I've never believed that video-games are linked to violence, I mean
people (well most people) can tell the difference between a game and

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:35 PM
Of course, movies and video games don't make people do crazy stuff. The people have to be messed up in the head in the first place to do such horrible things.

If they really did make people do acts of violence wouldn't everyone be doing them? WAY more then whats happening now.

I think the reason for some people blaming them is that they don't want to think that their own child or their own friend did an act by themselves. They want to think something/someone else is responsible. But the truth is nothing else is to blame, except the person who did the violence.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:36 PM
Well, I have said repeatedly that violence has more to do with an individual's upbringing than it did with what he/she seen or experienced in the media. I don't say that media doesn't have any influence, but I think its influence is certainly overplayed by the talking heads.

People look for ways to skirt personal responsibility so they blame the media.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 02:29 AM

Originally posted by enjoies05
I think the reason for some people blaming them is that they don't want to think that their own child or their own friend did an act by themselves. They want to think something/someone else is responsible. But the truth is nothing else is to blame, except the person who did the violence.

Yeah, that sounds exactly right
... i never though about that, makes perfect sense!

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 03:56 AM
If video games really caused violence how do you explain the heretic burnings, public hangings and beheadings, rape & pillaging and genocides of centuries gone by.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 04:59 AM
About time. I mean if video games were to blame, then the pac man generation would be running around in darkened warehouses, swallowing pills and listening to repetitive music. Wait, hang on. . .

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 05:04 AM
I can't speak for other countries but here in England we've always been a violent nation. Fighting and brawling is something we've always done (and probably always will). Whether it's in gang culture, football violence or just our love for one on one combat, i.e our love of boxing and the recent rise of popularity in ultimate fighting. You've only got to look at our town centers at the weekend to see that not much has changed in a 1000 yrs.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 05:48 AM
The mistake would be in assuming that a categorical answer can be given in either direction. I don't think that many intelligent observers are suggesting, as is implied in some of the replies here, that violent games necessarily cause violent reactions in real life but it would be equally dangerous to say that there is no correlation or potential for such an effect.

As is not uncommon, along with the studies which show no grounds for the effect there are a great many which suggest that there is an influence and some interesting recent work linking driving attitudes, particularly amongst young males, to the playing of aggressive racing games.

For example...

The average well adjusted citizen should be capable of rationalising the difference between fantasy and reality most of the time but that doesn't account for some of the other, less fortunate amongst us, and the fact is that there is a significant body of evidence that does link game play to real life actions in some cases even amongst "normal" samples of the population. It is far from the only cause of such behaviour and it is disingenuous to claim that is what is being suggested but it would be a dangerously blinkered approach to pretend that no potential exists for some degree of influence.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 06:54 AM
I don't believe that violence in the media necessarily creates more violent individuals, it works on a wider basis than that.

It desensitises the whole population to violence in general, making it easier for the state to use more extreme violent authoritarian control, and start more wars. Some of it is done directly, a lot of it isn't. As the population seems to perpetuate it's own psychological control, once a seed is sown...

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 11:08 AM
as much as i love video games and violent movies, and as much as i hate censorship - i have to agree. video games might not cause violence, but the certainly desensitize one to violence, and acquaint young kids with military procedures, vernacular, etc.

in fact, the military is behind quite a few games, from rainbow 6 to Army of One game.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 11:15 AM
The only thing that Violent Video Games, Movies, and TV shows do is actually desensitize us from actual vilolence. Come on, just because I play video games that have me in the back of a sweet Humvee laying waste to other players with a 50. (Halo Reference) doesn't mean I'm going to mount one my Honda and do it on my way up to the mountains skiing. I for sure dream about it everytime I go, but I'm way to peaceful, and feel bad if I lightly spank my dog for going potty in the house.

I wish he would have been around during the Roman Gladiator Fights in Rome, and made a comment like this, he would have been thrown to the lions!!!!

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:09 PM
When I was a kid, we played guns. "Lets play guns", we would say. Then we would get whatever we could that resembled guns, sticks and boards, sometimes we actually had a toy gun. We would then stage a shootout that was in our imagination, every bit as gory as todays video games. I suspect most kids did this and modern video games just require less imagination.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 10:02 PM
yes, however modern video games not only let kids play with guns, but they get to be familiar with the complete stats of shotguns, handguns, assault rifles, etc. Most of the aforementioned military games use actual tactics, teach the military chain of command, etc.

While it may not be breeding murderers, or even creating violence - it's still training kids, in case a draft were to come into play.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 10:10 PM
For the most part these games dont have any effect on the general population and have no role in inciting violence. However, as any psychologist would tell you, aggressive medias bring out aggression in aggressive people. What this means is that certain violent video games could bring out aggressive tendencies in aggressive people. So essentially the problem lies within the mind of the player, and the game is just acting as a catalyst to bring out violent behavior. Remember this would only happen with particularly violent people, and blame lies with whatever reason exists for their violent tendencies in the first place, not the games themselves. These people are going to act out one way or another, the only thing that is different is what will spark their intense feelings towards violence. Some will choose video games to bring out their aggression.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:48 PM
reply to post by scientist

I love games that use realism like that, I see it as cool not brainwashing but always a chance. But you can learn it anywhere, u cant ban reality.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by walsbg22]

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:04 PM
reply to post by iori_komei

A lot of people seem to see some link between violent video games and violent people. They seem to think that playing violent video games causes violent people. My proposal is this: maybe it's a simple matter of violent people are attracted to violent video games.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:19 AM
Video Game is brainwash program (compose with half truth, half lies), yet some people fall for it, like GTA (know what video games you play.) Don't know about futuristic games, yet most of them sucks.
The true cause of violence is entertainment and greed. Flash "Kill" "Kill" "Kill" "Hate others", "Hate Others"
Yes, Video Games have Subliminal Messages in them. So does, Movies, TV shows, TV Ad's, the entire media exspecially Music(These new genre is not what it seems to be.) Those who follow, what they say hard core(it's another subliminal message just like R4P. They've already replaced the Europeans Tradition Music(a.k.a, no body every plays the Harp anymore, everything is electric), next was African tribal music(It may not sound good, but, it's good for you.) There trying to do the same thing to China.
Erase all trace of Memory. Why do you think they want us to fight the Chinese so hard?
American Ignorant Cause(be more multicultural, stupid peace people, yet another puppet, I don't think John Lennon wanted that.) -> Angry Chinese People. This happened in Hong Kong, and it's going to happen in Taiwan.(their loosing their language and want them to fight China, yet China is still pretty blind because of American propaganda all over the world). If you ask if Americans are blind, it's a yes. Both Nation are blind, So is most of the other Countries. I don't think King jung ill is blind, but their people is blind themselves(which is good because America is a civilization of lies).. Oh ya, India screwed up(they couldn't even protect their own language from the British)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:00 PM
As a teacher, I can say that my middle school students - mostly the boys - are drawn to violence. After ten years of observation and questioning, I concluded that they like to see blood and body parts flying through the air. They purposely go to the bloodiest and most violent games they can find. I can't believe that it doesn't have some effect. It's bound to desensitize them to suffering and human life.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:02 PM
reply to post by iori_komei

I agree, video games are a form of entertainment, if someone is violent from a game, if they did not play the game, they would find some other way to become violent

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 05:58 AM
a reply to: qisoa

You mentioned you were a teacher... I have a question for you.

When you are aware of a student with anger management issues, a kid who has a troubled home life or who has lost one or both parents, a kid who had been kicked out of more than one school for behavior issues, a kid with anger isseus and anti-social behavior, a kid who spends a lot of time online playing violent video games -who do you alert? How do you notify the authorities so that this person doesn’t wind up purchasing a gun and slaughtering people?

To my knowledge there isn’t anything you can do in this situation; however, when something happens (like a school shooting) you aren’t suprised because all of the warning signs were there.

The teachers knew that this kid who committed the assault at Parkland had problems for years. The school secuity team knew who he was, he wasn’t allowed on campus, they knew about a very specific threat yet they were unable to protect the students at their school.

I currently know of two children in different schools, different towns, different school districts, with different families who are most likely headed down this same path. One is a 3rd grader one is a teenager. The 3rd graders issues started early (kicked out of multiple daycares and pre-schools for violent behavior). The problems have escalated since he hit punlic schools. The teenager is on his 4th or 5th school - kicked oht of each school for anger issues and fighting.

There doesn’t appear to be anything that the schools can do other than expel the student which only moves the problem to another school.
edit on 23-2-2018 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

top topics