It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US/Australia: Refugee Deal Trades in Human Lives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   

US/Australia: Refugee Deal Trades in Human Lives

www.allamericanpatriots.com

A deal between the United States and Australia to trade refugees housed at Guantanamo Bay for those held on the island nation of Nauru upends international refugee standards, Human Rights Watch said today.

“Refugees are human beings, not products that countries can broker and trade,” said Bill Frelick, Refugee Policy director at Human Rights Watch. “The United States and Australia have signed a deal that bargains with lives and flouts international law.”

Under the deal announced on April 18, some 90 Sri Lankan and Burmese refugees now held at an Australian-run immigration detention camp on the Pacific island nation of Nauru would be sent to live in the United States. Up to 200 refugees could be sent each year. Australia, in turn, would take up to 200 Cuban and Haitian refugees held at the US Navy base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailynews.lk
www.workpermit.com
www.politicalaffairs.net

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
What in the world is this? Trading off refugees? for what purpose?

This agreement has me scratching my head, could someone explain how this is not being reported in the news, is this a precursor to something bigger concerning shipping unwanted people to other parts of the world?

www.allamericanpatriots.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I can honestly say that I don't understand this in anyway whatsoever. It makes absolutely no sense at all. I too would like some clarification!

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
It makes absolutely no sense at all. I too would like some clarification!

The only thing I could find as to the reason was it was political in a sense with Howard of Australia wanting to move his detainees, but it still doesn't make sense why our countries would do this.

And nothing on the tube about this either. It's all about Rosie today

top topics

join