It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When 2012 rolls around, and nothing happens . . .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   
. . . who will be the first to admit the skeptics were right?

One of the best things about predictions and future-telling is that someday, by their very nature, they will be testable. Now I'm not talking about really vague predictions like the ones Nostradamus or the Bible makes, which can be liberally interpreted to fit basically any time period, but the ones where you have people, or at least one person, claiming to know the date the world will end or that some huge, Earth-changing catastrophe(s) will occur. There have been many predictions throughout history that have come and gone for the end of the world (mostly with a Christian twist) that I don't think I need to cite examples as they are so well known by now. The lesson learned so far is that the skeptics are always right: no one can predict the end of the world, or anything else for that matter.

There is never any shortage of believers in any given time period, though, especially in parts of the world dominated by the big three fairy tales: Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. So, as 2012 draws ever closer, I am "predicting" that nothing so special will happen. Sure we will have our wars, disasters, and other myriad problems, but nothing statistically out of the ordinary, certainly nothing as Earth-changing as one may read on this board every day. So when 2013 comes as normal, who will be the first to admit the skeptics were right yet again? There is so much "evidence" for the 2012 idea that it can't possibly be wrong, right? I mean, you won't be able to say "oh, well, we really meant 2021, oops." Will the same, tired excuses or "explanations" be used? "We changed our destiny, hooray!" "We misinterpreted the Mayan calender!" "God hath spared us his wrath!" Or will normal events such as war, famine, natural disasters, and other nasty things be interpreted to have fulfilled the prophecy, even if only on a much smaller scale than is being anticipated today? That would be quite a whimper from a year that has big things expected of it, no?

Well, here's waiting for the gloriously average year that 2012 promises to be, and I look forward to all the explanations you guys are sure to come up with for why something Earth shattering didn't happen. So, as I asked before, will anyone stand up on January 1, 2013 and admit the skeptics were right, since in all likelihood we will be? Or is undeniable, slap-in-the-face evidence still too little to convince people these days?

[edit on 25-4-2007 by Densha82]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I'm going to sit here and laugh, just like I've done for every other prediction that's cropped up over the years.

Of course, they all turned out to be codswallop, but the believers always had 2012 to fall back on.

On the very slight chance something does happen, I'll eat my hat.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   
IF nothing happens 2012, we should all accept the fact that holy books were created to sway masses into war and create order among its follwoers

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Hey what ever the date you always get the end is nigh types.

All those that advocated 2012 ascension will state that the reason it appears as nothing happened is we are the ones that ascended, or some other theory devoid of reasoning.

The only thing that I can think of that really is awful that I predict will happen in 2012....

People trying to find public toilets in London at the 2012 Olympics....

There are NO public toilets in London AT ALL!!!

The British government have an awful lot to answer for I can tell you....

London Winning the bid for the 2012 Olympics is a bit like buying a financial computer programme on credit, that will apparently sort out all your future monetary problems... but then realising you don't have a computer!!!!

2012 is a date and that is all it is. it will come and go just as all other dates.

The lesson learned so far is that the skeptics are always right: no one can predict the end of the world, or anything else for that matter.

One thing is very certainly for sure, if there or when there is a huge cataclysm that wipes us all out, there won't be anyone left to say... I TOLD YOU SO!!

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by Neon Haze]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Hi, Densha83 :-)

Re: 'When 2012 rolls around and nothing happens .... '

I'm glad you began this thread !

Sure, they may be some who're disappointed when the clock ticks over to 2013 without undue incident.

At the same time however, those who're expecting mass panic, paranoia and anxiety pre and during 2012 might be (pleasantly ?) surprised also. Because I suspect there are few who really expect 2012 to close with 'The End' emblazoned across it, despite rumours to the contrary and despite forum posts dedicated to the subject.

People are still getting married, still having babies, still signing up for 25 year mortgages and expensive study courses, etc.

Yes, there will be some who are disappointed to awaken to January 1st 2013 and find everything still the same as the day before: no scorched earth, no flights of UFOs carrying people to other planets, no continent-drowning tsunamis or mass eruptions of the world's volcanos.

For those who're currently in stall-mode, waiting for 2012 to put an end to all their problems .... 1/1/2013 will be the 'wake up and get moving' message they need. But honestly, I doubt there'll be many such folk :-)

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I hope you skeptics are right.
But it is a bit premature pouring scorn on the believers now.
Personally i am not convinced of all the Prophecyand predictions.
But that is irrelevant.
Because much more important people are.
Look how the Vatican have followed prophecy with their appointment of the Popes.
Look how serious they take the true 3rd Secret of Fatima..
Just because we mightnot give credibility to the prophecy doesnt mean it wont happen.
It seems some very important people are trying to make it happen.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadoww
Just because we might not give credibility to the prophecy doesn’t mean it won’t happen.
It seems some very important people are trying to make it happen.

The only prophecy that comes to pass are the ones that are self fulfilled.

Prophecy is only a person or person(s) extrapolation of possibilities. No one can look into the future and say with any certainty what will happen unless probability is at 1:1 for.

We can only give probabilities of certain things happening.

So far in all the 2012 end times’ information I have read over the years I have found absolutely no tangible evidence to suggest that 2012 is the date of doom.

Show me some compelling evidence to suggest the probability of 2012 being the end then I will be a believer that there is a chance.

Until then, I plan to live well beyond 2012 and if I can beyond 2112 too

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by Neon Haze]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
When 2012 rolls around and nothing happens...We'll have to make-up another date to sit and wring Our hands in worry! Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about 2012. Our world is heading for the crapper at warp speed. We're killing Our planet. We're killing off entire species of animals and We're killing each other. I think We're looking for someone or something to save Us. Maybe out of pure hope or pure laziness. Sometimes it's easier to turn that responsibility over to an unknown force as opposed to taking it upon Ourselves. Our situation is so overwhelming that it seems almost impossible for Us alone to turn things around for the better. I know We're capable of so much more and think that only something truely huge will save Us from Ourselves. Other than ascension I'll be tying one on the beach.

Peace. K*

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Maybe, just maybe...2012 is a collective consciousness date that we give our selves subconsciously to get our sh# in order.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
you obviously are too skeptical to read up on the MASSIVE amount of info from MULTIPLE Scientific/Paranormal fields describing changes in our Earth/Existence to direct us to our next transcendance.

2012 Thread on ATS

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
something or nothing will happen in 2012 , it will be after that ,most probalby changes wil occur after 2012

many scientists expect a shift of the earth poles to happen after 2012-2035....
already climate is becoming instable bec. of global warming , also mayan prophecy of 2012 is not absolute ... it implicitly hints that humans if take a more materialistic,selfish and destructive path they shall destroy themselves and turn this planet into a necrosphere, if they choose the other balanced path , humans will be able to adjust and ultimately in the face of all difficulties , turn this planet into a noosphere ....
this is very similiar to hopi prophecy

in fact no prophecy is absolute , it is method by forces above us to help us choose the right or wrong path

[edit on 25-4-2007 by vK_man]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I think it's human nature to just have SOMETHING" to believe in whether Revelation or 2012. BUT, this doesn't mean the mayans were wrong. Doesn't mean the end of the world either. I strongly feel somethin may happen, but we can't know for sure. I'm hopin that we do evolve in a sense to a higher consciousness and maybe time will be irrelevant, maybe not. Either way, the revolution will continue.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
What will happen in 2012? Nothing that hasnt happened before. So when 2012 turns out to be just another year, then im sure we will have a new date set by some obscure cultural calnder or something. I think 2020 and 2036 come up alot.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
yeah, i've seen and heard 2036 here and there,,lol

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
When nothing comes to pass those who have put so much into their belief that something is to happen will react in many different ways:

*Some will hide their heads

*Others will try and say that they 'never really believed something would happen

*Some will claim that something did happen but for whatever reason the majority of us were not allowed to be aware of it.

*But most will say that the date was wrong; that the actual date is Year XXXX

I will be reading and watching...and most of all laughing quietly to myself.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Well actually i was wondering more about Nibiru,planet x, Xkbo whatever its called, it has many names.. but, does anyone know the expected fly by of that rock?

I heard that it may be passing us in or around that year, 2012.

If the governments of the world had that knowledge when would you expect such an announcement? or would they wait till the last minute?

if there's any truth to that, people would have the right to deserve to know and as soon as possible, but how to get confirmation

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Will the Earth Blow up! Are we going to be responsible? I know for a fact that things are changing. Most of you reading this problably cant see the effects before you and thats totally alright. Just remember its all happening out of LOVE!

Be Well

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Really I think it's more about fun than anything. Doing research and theorizing on what may or may not happen, and it never hurts to have something to look forward to. Remember how horrible Y2K was suppose to be? I was in my early teenage years then, but I remember a feeling of excitement more so than dread.

Like Dock6 was saying I'm sure that the majority of us that play around with the 2012 date aren't putting our lives on hold for it, I know I'm not. If I truly believed that the world was going to end or that we were going to transcend our current state of being in 2012, I sure as heck wouldn't be wasting my time grinding out these college courses

Anyways, no need to be harsh on the believers, just another way to spice up life a bit.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
2012 is a specific date, but there is no actual prediction on what is going to happen, short of internet speculation.

Therefor those who want to believe it's significant will find something that happens that year and glorify it, while the realists will continue as usual. Whether something happens or not, people don't like to admit they're wrong... Going so far as to convince even themselves.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I for one cannot wait until it rolls around and nothing at all happens. Then I can just laugh in people's faces about how dumb they were.

Every single time in History someone set a doomsday date, and it rolled around, nothing happened. I expect the same of this supposed doomsday date.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join