It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People shouldn't be sarcastic over the internet.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
That's because one won't really tell the difference. If I were to say "I'd like to kill him rather than him" someone would say OMG U THREATENED ME U R A NOOB GET A LIFE". But ATS isn't like that, and ATS weeds out the noobs, and that's what I like about it. I like ATS because there are no noobs here.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I hate you and I want you to get hit by a bus.

=P

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Huh? What?
I for one am never sarcastic. I'm like a freakin' Vulcan and stuff.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
sarcasm and the net are in the same boat

sarcasm is wasted upon the stupid.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maverickhunter
ATS weeds out the noobs, and that's what I like about it. I like ATS because there are no noobs here.

Absolutely not the case.

Isn't it true that we were ALL, at one point, "noobs" to ATS?

This community welcomes absolutely anyone with an opinion and the desire to express it in a mature way.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Sarcasim is funnier on the internet....because people don't realize you're being sarcastic.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The best way to find out if someone is being sarcastic over the internet is to look at what context its in, and for specific words and smileys they uses.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Sarcasm on MSN always messes me up, my brother and I are very sarcastic, and I can never tell if we are having an arugment or if he is being sarcastic.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
That's why I think there ought to be a font to use just when people are being sarcastic, so that the more subtle varieties won't be missed.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
I hate you and I want you to get hit by a bus.

=P

:|
NO! NO! That's not what I meant! I meant when you are sarcastic you are annoying! That's not what I meant at all.
Lol.

Yeah sarcasm can be annoying. We were all noobs to ATS at one point but ATS does enjoy the new people coming in. I just don't like n00bs all that much.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Hey! I'm a noob here. Those are fighting words sir! LOL

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Hey! I'm a noob here. Those are fighting words sir! LOL

(sarcasm)What? OMG no. They are? What did I do? (/sarcasm)

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I just don't like n00bs all that much.

And the new people don't like you.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

I just don't like n00bs all that much.

And the new people don't like you.

I was talking about n00bs, not new people. N00bs are annoying people who deserve to die, newbs are new people. There is a difference between the two, enjoies05.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by Maverickhunter]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   

N00bs are annoying people who deserve to die,

A bit overboard?

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

N00bs are annoying people who deserve to die,

A bit overboard?

I was being a little sarcastic

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Is that like being a little pregnant?

I was being a little sarcastic

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
A simple "
" and or "lol" at the end of a sarcastic comment should usually thet the point across.

eg: "I love Bill O'Reilly
lol"

or you can just use "(joke)"

With this simple rule of thumb, you be as sarcasric as you like, without causing confusion!

[edit on 26-4-2007 by Xeros]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
What if you disagree with someone and their way of countering your disagreement is to tell you you should have stayed dead in a hundred pieces, or that you ought to be skinned and chopped up and made into a stew. Or if they say - I'm warning you - you're messing with the wrong people, after they've threatened bodily mutilation and murder.

Is that funny?

There's some wackos out there, and I don't think it's funny.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearwater
What if you disagree with someone and their way of countering your disagreement is to tell you you should have stayed dead in a hundred pieces, or that you ought to be skinned and chopped up and made into a stew. Or if they say - I'm warning you - you're messing with the wrong people, after they've threatened bodily mutilation and murder.

Is that funny?

There's some wackos out there, and I don't think it's funny.

Yeah. Like how I was talking to someone and I told them that I thought that my brain was going to explode and they said to me that they think that my brain already exploded on the inside, I told them nothing after that, and I got pretty offended after what the guy said because I thought he was one of my "friends".

Oh yeah, and you're absolutely right. Today one of my teachers talked about me to someone else and defamed my name and said that you could probably see me in one of the darkened alleys and sitting there waiting for you to come, and then he said "look at everyone else they're all doing something and he's alone" in a mocking tone of voice. Plus, the same teacher has a grudge against me for some reason. Additionally, his assistant teacher is the same Assistant Coach as on our varsity basketball team and he gets me really riled up and threatens to "throw me against the wall" and I do not find it funny.

Well, sarcasm on ATS is fine, since you're allowed to use emoticons to express your opinion and people here are generally okay for the most part, but in real life no one will get your sarcasm and they will not take you seriously if you are too sarcastic one point in time.

That's why on my way to softball games, as the team is made up of the same people who play basketball, I kept my mouth shut because I got yelled at by them all season during the games and on the way back to school.

It really annoys me at times.

top topics

join