It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reptiles can change sex with heat?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I found this super hard to believe. I find it amazing reptiles have this capability. I suppose it just goes to show :Nature can find a way.

Genes versus heat – a reptile sex trigger

High temperatures can make an Australian lizard that is genetically male develop into a female. The finding throws new light on how sex is determined in reptiles.

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
That's interesting. I remember reading of some reptile species that can do the reverse, changing from female to male. I think it was some type of frog, if I remember correctly. That particular change was not caused by temperature, I don't think, but by a scarcity of males; somehow the females knew when there weren't enough males around to mate with and 'compensated' for that fact :p

I've always wondered how gender evolved, given that the earliest organisms were asexual. Maybe this will provide some kind of clue as to how that came about.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Yes, that's actually old news. We've known about it for a long time but hadn't seen it in this particular beastie.

The temperature of incubation of eggs also affects reptile gender. This article gives a summary... crocodiles are actually among the ones where incubation temperature affects the gender of the young.
query.nytimes.com...

new topics

join