It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival comms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Frequency List for Survival Radio Operations
Long distance communications

80 meters = 3.850MHZ
40 meters = 7.250
20 meters = 14.250
15 meters = 21.350
10 meters = 28.350

Local Communications

2 meters 146.520 National FM simplex calling frequency
ATS alternative calling frequency 144.520

CB radio Channel 9

(I know it is good only for local communications and will probably still even in major emergencies be cluttered with people who want to hear themselves but better than nothing)

GMRS/FRS Channel 17 those people that have high power radios can use high power on these frequencies.

Level one HF com Net Contol
has HF VHF UHF capability

Level Two
VHF UHF ham and CB GMRS/FRS

Level three
GMRS/FRS, CB Radio

Level four
Broadcast band AM FM

Reports when checking into nets should be something along the lines of
reporting your general area maybe county (don't want to give up to much info)
report your station level so we have a better idea of capabilites we are working with as a group. of course level 4 won't be able to check in but hopefully they can listen

cheapest route to get into a net is the cheap little GMRS/FRS radios at Walmart you may still be unable to check in but you maybe able to hear until you can reach a spot where you can check in (limited by terrain and surrounding structures as well as power output)

It cost me on 70 dollars to get the GMRS /FRS radios with 5 watt output which gives me very good coverage say about 5-10 miles depending on terrain. no license required and easily obtainable

Any way just throwing this out there
GEO

I am sure that I have either forgotten something or missed something on these frequencies but it is a starting point

Also keep in mind that in any emergency communications you can talk wherever you need to to save lives, and , if we end up using this layout licensing probably will not be an issue..

[edit on 4/24/2007 by geocom]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Seems like a plan to me. I say lets run with it. I'm still working on the survival forums emergency communication page. I'm very busy these days so give another couple of weeks and it will be completed.

LETS NOT FORGET TO FLAG THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[edit on 25-4-2007 by angryamerican]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by geocom

Reports when checking into nets should be something along the lines of
reporting your general area maybe county (don't want to give up to much info)
report your station level so we have a better idea of capabilites we are working with as a group. of course level 4 won't be able to check in but hopefully they can listen
[edit on 4/24/2007 by geocom]

If you don't want to give to much info, id strongly suggest stepping away from the radio, as the second you push the ptt you have given everything away.

Nice idea, but in situation x i think you would be wasting valuable time and effort trying to talk to people who won't be there.

If you are serious about wanting to do something to help using communications in the worst of conditions, why don't you get a proper licence and join an organisation like RAYNET or similar.

Not being funny, the network you are looking to create is already there, and they have been for years helping out all over the world and train for these situations on a regular basis. The don't get paid, but all have a keen interest in radio, as it sounds like you do. They work alongside emergency services when required and are highly organised and disciplined radio operators, which of course is essential for maintaining relay communications in the worst of senarios/.

I think your efforts would be rewarded there, instead of a random ad-hoc network that frankly in the worst case senario would achive nothing.

What would be useful, is investigating HF stations arround the world, that could be used as a news source, and the frequencies / times / launguages they use, and their signal strengths in various parts of the world.

Sorry if i sound harsh, but the terminator style ending of the secret bunker and thousands of people calling out for help on a walmart radio aint gonna happen in real life.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by 2ciewan]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2ciewan

If you don't want to give to much info, id strongly suggest stepping away from the radio, as the second you push the ptt you have given everything away.

Its not really that easy to triangulate a position. And in most sit-x people really wont have the time to come looking for you so why even say things like that?

Nice idea, but in situation x i think you would be wasting valuable time and effort trying to talk to people who won't be there.

In your opinion, wich I must say is very negative and not at all helpfull.

If you are serious about wanting to do something to help using communications in the worst of conditions, why don't you get a proper licence and join an organisation like RAYNET or similar.

Fine orignizitations each and every one but there is always room for one more. Every body brings a little different flavor to the mix. Different sit-x means different orignizitions will be helpfull.

I think your efforts would be rewarded there, instead of a random ad-hoc network that frankly in the worst case senario would achive nothing.

What would be useful, is investigating HF stations arround the world, that could be used as a news source, and the frequencies / times / launguages they use, and their signal strengths in various parts of the world.

Sorry if i sound harsh, but the terminator style ending of the secret bunker and thousands of people calling out for help on a walmart radio aint gonna happen in real life.

First off even walmart radios are helpful. There is a reason why people still use C.B. radios.

Second why are you so negative about this. Do you know for a fact it wont/cant work?

You may think you do but you really don't. If your not part of the solution you are the problem. its easy to set back and say hay this wont work.

If you try it and it doesn't then so what at least you tried. you didn't just set back in your chair in front of your pc and say thats stupid it wont work.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I would like to clarify as well to what I THINK this is about. This isn't a thing for the public at large its pretty much for ATS members in the event of sit-x. We spend many hours discussing the serious survival topic's this is the next logical step. Who better to give advise and or information in bad times then the ones who helped educate you in the good times. If I'm wrong on this please feel free to educate me.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I am already licensed with the FCC and have all the equipment I already use HF

all I was doing was throwing out a plan to get started I know about all of the nets that happen on HF but you need communications for regular non radio related people as well and having been involved in various emergency nets out there there is always room for more the more people involved the more chance you have of someone being there when you call. and you never know you could just stir the interest of some young kid on here that has been looking for some reason to learn that math at school..

just one final note I have contacts confirmed in to well over 100 different countries

So I guess I have to ask what are your qualifications on the subject
are you licensed do you have any of the above mentioned equipment

if yes then please tell us more of what you think if no then
I guess to use your words you are part of the problem..

All that said I enjoy communications of all kinds as listed in my original post I own a radio that will work on every frequency listed above including a CB and the GMRS FRS radios (wal mart Radios)(though mine are not from walmart) as well as many radios from from Yaesu Kenwood and Icom

Later
GEO

[edit on 4/27/2007 by geocom]

new topics

top topics

join