It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Asian Rodent Is Living Fossil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
April 24th on NationalGeographic news.

New Asian Rodent Found as Food Is "Living Fossil," Gene Study Confirms
Source: National Geographic

Mason Inman
for National Geographic News
April 24, 2007

Locals call it the kha-nyou and enjoy it roasted on a skewer.

But when scientists spotted the squirrel-like rodent at a Laotian food market two years ago, they called it a species previously unknown to science.

Now new DNA analysis confirms that the Laotian rock rat is a "living fossil" that belongs to a family of rodents thought to have gone extinct 11 million years ago.

Researchers at first believed the rare Asian species was the only representative of an entirely new family of rodents.

Instead the rock rat is part of a family that split from the rest of the more than 1,500 species of modern-day rodents about 44 million years ago, the new gene study says.

"It's not exactly a fossil," lead study author Dorothée Huchon of Israel's Tel Aviv University, said of the rock rat. "It hasn't stopped evolving."

Rodent Family Tree

Despite its name, the rock rat belongs a rodent group that includes guinea pigs and porcupines and is not as closely related to rats as it is to those animals.

The species is distinguished by its black coat, bushy tail, and ducklike waddle.

The rock rat's closest living relative is the gundi, a rodent found only in Africa with a guinea piglike body and a ratlike head.

The new genetic study bolsters a previous study of fossil rodents published last year in the journal Science.

Full story here.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 24/4/2007 by David2012]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This isn't a new story! I'm quite angry with National Geographic now! This same rat was discovered and reported on yahoo news last year, then discussed on ATS!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Yahoo link is dead now but it was there.

Jeez... National Geographic lettin' us down!

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
euw, rodent a la spit. that's so wrong! then again, i'm a veggie, all meat seems icky to me!

does this lil' guy have a latin name? related to any particular species?

[edit: sorry, didn't read the article properly - one too many vodkas tonight!]

[edit on 4/24/2007 by Batty]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Yeah I remember the old thread that discussed this. Nowadays, all the National Geographic Channel does is report old stories, documentaries on WWII, and bash Christianity.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It's not a "new" story. But from what I gathered, this story is confirming the old one, through DNA analysis.
So, it's an update.

I guess that means it's safe to watch the Nat. Geo channel again?

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
What I don't get is how they can call something "new" if it's been around for millions of years. Or of it existed, then became extinct and then "came back" again, shouldn't it be called a "second hand rodent"?

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Wow, nice.

Another thing to throw on the BBQ just in time for summer!

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades
This isn't a new story! I'm quite angry with National Geographic now! This same rat was discovered and reported on yahoo news last year, then discussed on ATS!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Yahoo link is dead now but it was there.

Jeez... National Geographic lettin' us down!

Didn't know, just saw it yesterday as posted yesterday on ng.
I think the news is the testing of the dna and confirmation it's a living fossil. Not simply finding it?

But when scientists spotted the squirrel-like rodent at a Laotian food market two years ago

and

Now new DNA analysis confirms that the Laotian rock rat is a "living fossil"

I'm not familiar with the old story. I'll check your link later, got to run right now.

[edit on 25/4/2007 by David2012]

new topics

top topics

join