It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HAARP Story Changes...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
From everything I have read prior to this article implied that HAARP was a civilian science project.

Updated 3/9/07 [as of this post], by DARPA office TTO an article briefing on HAARP states that it was developed

to exploit emerging ionosphere and radio science technologies related to advanced defense applications.

I had read before that because HARRP was

jointly managed by the Air Force Research Laboratory and the Office of Naval Research
it was believed HAARP would turn into a defense technology even though it was said to be completely for civilian scientific use....

Crazy speculations on HAARP's capabilities have been made and if they are true I can see why the DoD has such big balls.

Either way I'm mostly impartial on HAARP but wanted to bring this update to the surface to see what you guys thought.

Anyone care to save me paper writing time by elaborating on the significance of this update and also some of the implied speculation on HAARP conspiracy?

I'll try to link some threads later when I'm free. [assuming anyone can ever even actually be free]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I don't think they've ever admitted heretofore that HAARP had anything to do with 'advance defense technologies'. I would imagine that most people that know anything about it would be surprised by the admission.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Actually I will just add the entire briefing incase the story 'mysteriously' changes.

Below is the direct quoting on the HAARP program initiative from the TTO website.

The actual HAARP briefing from TTO site

High Frequency Active Auroral Research Project (HAARP)
Program Manager: Dr. Sheldon Meth

Overview

The High Frequency Active Auroral Research Project (HAARP) developed new experimental research capabilities and conducted research programs to exploit emerging ionosphere and radio science technologies related to advanced defense applications. The FY 1990 Appropriation Act provided funds for the creation of HAARP, jointly managed by the Air Force Research Laboratory and the Office of Naval Research to exploit emerging ionosphere and high power radio technology for new military systems applications. Key to the current effort was the expansion of the experimental research facility that includes a 3.6 MW high-frequency transmitter and a variety of diagnostic instruments, to conduct investigations to characterize the physical processes that can be initiated and controlled in the ionosphere and space, via interactions with high power radio waves. Among these were: (1) the generation of extremely low frequency/very low frequency radio waves for submarine and other subsurface communication, and the reduction of charged particle populations in the radiation belts to ensure safe spacecraft systems operations; (2) the control of electron density gradients and the refractive properties in selected regions of the ionosphere to create radio wave propagation channels; and (3) the generation of optical and infrared emissions in space to calibrate space sensors. To date, the facility has been developed to include a suite of optical and radio diagnostics and an advanced, modern, high frequency transmitting array that has a radiated power of 960 kW, about one-third of the 3.6MW called for in the original concept and plan. The current high frequency transmitting array has proven to be extremely reliable and flexible, and has shown the feasibility of the overall concept. However, results to date have indicated that the advanced applications-related research activities and new military system concept demonstrations envisioned under the program require that the high frequency transmitting capability at the site be increased from the present 960 kW level to the originally planned 3.6 MW level. A study completed by an Air Force/Navy Panel also pointed to additional high-value functions that can potentially be accomplished with the a 3.6 MW capability, in particular, the exploration and refinement of scientific principles that could lead to the development and deployment of a system to provide protection for spacebased assets from emergent asymmetric threats. DARPA established an MOA with the Air Force and Navy for this program in November 2002. The HAARP technology is transitioning to the Air Force and Navy in FY 2006.

Program Plans

Completed the HAARP high frequency transmitting array at the HAARP Research Station, Gakona, AK.
Prepared the existing HAARP facility in preparation for ionospheric testing.
Conducted advanced ionosphere and radio science research and analysis of applications including space-based asset protection and phenomena related to its implementation.

Last Updated: 03/09/07

[edit on 24-4-2007 by Watchful1]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
There have been a lot of joint military/civilian projects going on through the years. The military has access to some things that civilian research teams might not. By providing the technology this gives the military first shot at any defense technologies that might come about from it.

So far we have HAARP:

Controlling the weather.
Broadcasting giant holograms.
Killing bees.
Broadcasting radio signals.
Doing the dishes.
Opening holes in the atmosphere.
Expanding the atmosphere.
Blowing things up with directed energy.
Whitening your teeth.
Leaving a minty fresh smell in your mouth.

Did I forget anything?

(The previous list was provided purely for entertainment purposes)

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
double post

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
double post

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Did I forget anything?

Umm...

...the military denying HAARP as for defense purposes?

Don't get me wrong I'd rather it be us than them who owns HAARP. I just feel it's funny that 15 years after denying HAARP as a defense weapon DARPA's TTO admits in an article briefing that HAARP was developed

to exploit emerging ionosphere and radio science technologies related to advanced defense applications.

Maybe I'm just strange in being hesitant of Memory Holes...

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
But using radio waves ISN'T a weapon. And that's been the stated purpose of HAARP from the time I first heard of it. Right from the start I heard that it was military, and it had something to do with communications. I can't remember ever hearing about it being just a civilian project.

Like I said though, there are several projects I can name that are joint projects. Speckled Trout is a big one that comes to mind. It's the USAF Chief of Staff transport, but it doubles as a technology demonstrator. Boeing, Raytheon, whoever pays to install some new device (autolanding system, new tracking software, comm antenna, etc.) and the military flies the plane checking it out. Then if it works and they see some benefit to it, they buy it for more planes.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Perhaps you should examine where haarp is.
then examine The Nikola Tesla "death beam" invention.
Then ask yourself what the significance of alaska used to be.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

What puts Tesla's death ray in a league of its own is that his design actually had competent, even inventive, engineering about it. His idea was to use a gigantic electrostatic generator run by one of his turbines to accelerate tiny particles of mercury until they became a stream of super high-powered bullets of several million volts. Since they were accelerated in a vacuum, Tesla needed a way to spit them out of the accelerator sphere without letting air in. He proposed to do this with a special nozzle which blew high-pressure air around an open tube leading to the evacuated sphere and acted like a constantly renewing plug to preserve the vacuum. What happen to the mercury stream after it left the nozzle and had to travel through the atmosphere was another matter that was never quite figured out.

Incidentally, by "particles" Tesla did not mean protons, neutron and the like, but tiny droplets. Tesla had little truck with atomic theory and for an electrician he had no time for electrons.

davidszondy.com...

HAARP uses radio waves, not mercury bullets like the death ray that no one ever quite figured out. Even if HAARP worked this way, Tesla was talking about a MUCH smaller facility, not something the size of the HAARP array.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
All organic life systems on Earth are inherently linked to Earths own resonance (Schuman). The human brain waves are also around this frequency. If you start messing with this frequency, you could potentially control mankind, or at least alter his behaviour.

Either way, putting so much energy into the ionosphere can never be a good thing.

We have already destroyed the surface of the planet, and now is not the time to start destroying the atmosphere, which is equally, if not more important, than the surface of the planet (for life).

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Except the energy output of HAARP is significantly less than the energy put into the atmosphere by the sun. You would need MUCH more than just one small (relatively) array to cause any LASTING atmospheric effects.

The HAARP transmissions would interact with the charged particles in the ionosphere. The interaction of the IRI transmissions with the ions would cause temporary increases in temperatures and decreases in electron densities within the ionosphere lasting from a few seconds to several hours and possibly continuing through a polar winter night [1]. The temporary changes in ionospheric properties, caused by the IRI transmitted radio waves, would be many orders of magnitude less than those changes caused by variations in the sun's energy output.

The IRI would transmit radio waves over the frequency range 2.8 to 10 MHz. The transmitted radio wave beam would occupy a conical volume roughly 30 miles in diameter at an altitude of 300 miles. The transmitted radio waves would have up to 3.3 MW of power, only slightly higher than waves transmitted by radio and television stations.

Even if all the transmitted power from the IRI was absorbed by the ionosphere it would take more than 33,000 HAARP-scale IRIs, transmitting simultaneously to account for just 1 percent of the auroral ionosphere's energy budget. Another way of showing the vast difference between the amount of energy that would be dissipated in the atmosphere by the HAARP transmissions and natural processes is through a comparison of the local dissipation power in terms of power densities. The maximum power density of the IRI transmitted waves would be about 30 milliwatts per square meter (mW/m2) at 50 miles altitude decreasing to 1 mW/m2 at 186 miles altitude in the F region. In comparison, the densities of power dissipated by an aurora could exceed 2 W/m2, or roughly 2000 times greater then the expected maximum dissipation due to the absorption of the HAARP high frequency transmissions in the F region. Even the daily absorption of solar radiation easily exceeds the most intense, low altitude HAARP-ionduced energy deposition rate by a factor of ten. [

www.haarp.alaska.edu...

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
"What set Tesla's proposal apart from the usual run of fantasy "death rays" was a unique vacuum chamber with one end open to the atmosphere. Tesla devised a unique vacuum seal by directing a high-velocity air stream at the tip of his gun to maintain "high vacua." The necessary pumping action would be accomplished with a large Tesla turbine."

"Tesla also contemplated peacetime applications for his particle beam, one being to transmit power without wires over long distances. Another radical notion he proposed was to heat up portions of the upper atmosphere to light the sky at night — a man-made aurora borealis."
Source

"Tesla “Death Rays” are Particle Beams

Particle beams are special sorts of electro-magnetic waves, a special sort of light.

The white light or daily light is a mixture of different length of waves. White light is a mixture of many colors which can be separated. Red light has long waves whereas blue light has short waves.

The waves making up a particle beam are quite different. Not only are all the waves the same length, but they are lined up so that the tops (peaks) of the waves coincide with each other.

Particle beams can be concentrated into a tiny point. They have tremendous energy."
source

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'll believe all HAARP's capabilities if I see it imitate at least the functions from the Ace Combat games superweapons (Which are fictional).
Those being:
Stonehenge, Excalibur, Megalith, Meson Cannon, Arkbird, SOLG (though Stonehenge & SOLG can be optional, those use physical bullets rather than rays / beams)

Added links.

[edit on 24/4/07 by -0mega-]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
If Tesla was able to come up with such a SMALL transmitter for his "death ray" then why would they have to have such a HUGE transmitter for it now? You would think that with the advances in technology we would have gotten it SMALLER, not that much BIGGER.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
They did not find tesla's Death ray notes did they?
If they didn't, which is what I think, they cannot know what Tesla's idea was.
Thus they wouldn't know how a small version could achieve the same, if not bigger, power.

Or they want to create one that's even more powerful, by increasing size.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
True, you would think it would be smaller. However, we do not know if the builders of haarp truly understood Tesla's work entirely, and perhaps there are reasonings behind the way in which they built haarp which account for it's size.

This is interesting though:
"As Tesla described it, "the entire apparatus for lighting the average country dwelling will contain no moving parts whatever, and could be readily carried about in a small valise."

However, the difference between a current that can be used to run, say, a sewing machine and a current used as a method of destruction, however, is a matter of timing. If the amount of electricity used to run a sewing machine for an hour is released in a millionth of a second, it would have a very different, and negative, effect on the sewing machine.

Tesla said his transmitter could produce 100 million volts of pressure with currents up to 1000 amperes which is a power level of 100 billion watts. If it was resonating at a radio frequency of 2 MHz, then the energy released during one period of its oscillation would be 100,000,000,000,000,000 (1016) Joules of energy, or roughly the amount of energy released by the explosion of 10 megatons of TNT.

Such a transmitter, would be capable of projecting the energy of a nuclear warhead by radio. Any location in the world could be vaporized at the speed of light."
source

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
They did not find tesla's Death ray notes did they?
If they didn't, which is what I think, they cannot know what Tesla's idea was.
Thus they wouldn't know how a small version could achieve the same, if not bigger, power.

Or they want to create one that's even more powerful, by increasing size.

There are pictures of his idea from a 1930s interview he gave. It's simply a tower, with an emitter array on top of it that shoots the beam out. However, I've found versions that say it was a particle beam, and versions that say it would have shot out beads of Mercury that were super accelerated.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
If they were able to get this result from simply several hundred kilowatts of power, and a small tower, then I would think that somehow HAARP would STILL be much smaller than it really is, if it's some death ray.

Tesla's Colorado Springs tests were well remembered by local residents. With a 200 foot pole topped by a large copper sphere rising above his laboratory he generated potentials that discharged lightning bolts up to 135 feet long. Thunder from the released energy could be heard 15 miles away in Cripple Creek. People walking along the streets were amazed to see sparks jumping between their feet and the ground, and flames of electricity would spring from a tap when anyone turned them on for a drink of water. Light bulbs within 100 feet of the experimental tower glowed when they were turned off. Horses at the livery stable received shocks through their metal shoes and bolted from the stalls. Even insects were affected: Butterflies became electrified and "helplessly swirled in circles - their wings spouting blue halos of 'St. Elmo's Fire.'"

The most pronounced effect, and the one that captured the attention of death ray inventors, occurred at the Colorado Springs Electric Company generating station. One day while Tesla was conducting a high power test, the crackling from inside the laboratory suddenly stopped. Bursting into the lab Tesla demanded to know why his assistant had disconnected the coil. The assistant protested that had not touched anything. The power from the city's generator, the assistant said, must have quit. When the angry Tesla telephoned the power company he received an equally angry reply that the electric company had not cut the power, but that Tesla's experiment had destroyed the generator!

The inventor explained to "The Electrical Experimenter," in August of 1917 what had happened. While running his transmitter at a power level of "several hundred kilowatts" high frequency currents were set up in the electric company's generators. These powerful currents "caused heavy sparks to jump thru the winds and destroy the insulation." When the insulation failed, the generator shorted out and was destroyed.

www.geocities.com...

(Btw, you might wanna use external quote tags and source your quotes there WhiteWash. Sorry, got the name wrong.
Just a suggestion to save the mods from having to edit your posts and put them in.)

[edit on 4/24/2007 by Zaphod58]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join