It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kid brings Grenade to School !!??!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I just heard on CNN that some 4th grade student it Texas brought a grenade to school today? They said the building had been evacuated and they were currently investigating!

No news on the site yet. Anyone else heard this? I'm at work so I can't keep watching.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Has noone else heard this?

I can't find anything online but I heard them talking about it on tv just a few minutes ago.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
A little short. The story is probably still developing:

www.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Thank goodness that this ended without to much drama, Seems the grenade was empty, but pin still in,

This quote though i thought was mildly amusing,

The boy wasn't mad at anyone," Cpl. Mike Bedrich of the Southlake Department of Public Safety told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "He just thought it would be cool to bring it to school."

Note to kid, After a school shootings its not a cool thing to bring in a grenade,

www.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
That happened in my high school a few years ago.

Same thing, empty grenade. But in my case the kid also threatened someone with some knives.

What a world.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I'm just glad no one was hurt, this time. It was still a stupid thing to do by this kid, but at least he didn't mean to hurt anyone or put anyone in danger. He probably scared a lot of people, though, and does need to learn a lesson about what is and isn't appropriate, particularly given the recent Virginia shootings.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Umm....

How the hell did that kid find a grenade?

Opens the cabinet looking for cookies and sees a grenade?

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala

Note to kid, After a school shootings its not a cool thing to bring in a grenade,

I wouldn't be too harsh on the young lad he was only a fourth grader afterall. I do have to question what in the world the parents were thinking leaving something like that around where a young kid could get their hands on it. It makes you wonder about people.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Empty (inert) grenades very easy to get a hold of. Especially the deactivated ones that have the firing mechanism welded shut.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   
precisely a dummy or practice grenade is a common paper weight in many places among ex military people who know it's just a chunk of steel and no threat to anyone , now having said that it's not unreasonable for a non military person to see such an item as a threat and treat it as such, the parents of this child are the one's who must be responsible for not telling the kid what is ans is not acceptable behavior.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I brought a decommissioned Vietnam era grenade to show and tell in the first grade and noone gave me a second look... how times have changed.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Every Army/Nave shop has a crate of these things. Kids love them. As another poster mentioned they make popular paper weights on desks everywhere. I wouldnt be surprised if a school principal or two have these sitting on their desks right now.

This is getting ridiculous.

I was going to get into geo-caching this Summer. People hide atuff around and use GPS and orienteering to find the target. Its a great excuse to get out and see places you wouldnt have otherwise seen.

The trouble is if the items get hidden in relatively urban areas (which they often are) how long will it be before this fear culture puts an end to the game? Like those stupid light up ad's in Mass. will somebody see a little box hidden somewhere and call the FBI and the BATF and homeland security and all this crap?

It must be really hard to live life as one of these perpetually terrified people.
But the politicians love them! They want to be controlled and taxed into submission for their own safety. God, its sad.

Uh0oh, there's a kid walking around outside with a baseball bat in his hand. Im sure he's looking to bash some heads in. Ban baseball! Or at least regulate the hell out of it so it isnt fun anymore.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Things are getting bad. This was something harmless. This makes me think I should start watching what I carry around. Every time something happens people start getting jumpy and thinking they need to watch out for everything... "I swear, it was just a some paper, I really didn't want to give somebody a papercut:.

On the other hand. At the time I could see how somebody could see a grenade and wouldn't be able to tell that it was empty. After we know the story we know it couldn't hurt anybody but no joke, these day you just don't know.

Styki

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
Things are getting bad. This was something harmless. This makes me think I should start watching what I carry around.

Or what your kid carries around. I would make sure that any of my kids wouldn't carry anything like that around because it is a good way to end up getting shot.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShooterSix
I brought a decommissioned Vietnam era grenade to show and tell in the first grade and noone gave me a second look... how times have changed.

I agree, times have changed.

I dressed a soldier one year for halloween when I was in middle school, had 2 practice grenades. Of course this was 20 years ago. I even took a BB gun in for show and tell once in elementary school.

[edit on 26/4/07 by Skibum]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Yeah. I took an old out of commission grenade to school when I was a child for show and tell as well. There was no fuss then at all. Times have certainly changed alright, and they've changed for the worst.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I can remember bringing 5 old springfield rounds from WW2 to class, 2 disarmed mines (the bouncing betty type), and a tank shell (also disarmed) which used to be for one of the crappy shermans. And a mortar round, but I can't remember what type now...

All of this was perfectly acceptable. The 5 springfield rounds were not de-commissioned, but it's rather difficult to set them off without a firing pin of some sort from a gun, or say a nail and hammer.

It was all for a presentation on World War 2 relics and how easily you can find them. The idea was to put into perspective just how huge the war was, that we can find these things so easily even today.

Did anyone bother asking this kid if the grenade was a working one?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
yeah stuff like that is common when i was kid i had a big collection of stuff like that . a couple of 50 caliber rounds , a 20mm shell from a vietnam era fighter live, a whole lot of rifle brass and a big ass cannon shell that was about 4 or 5 inches in diameter when i was 15 it got turned into a neat table lamp.

top topics

join