It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seti@Home Command line client

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
www.nwscc.com...

here is the English version of the Seti@home command line client with Seti Driver and Seti Spy. All in one download for processing multiple WUs.

Enjoy!

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Word of caution. I do not recommend processing more than two WUs at a time on your primary computer.

I am running the following:

Intel 3.0 HT 800 FSB processor
Giga-Byte 8IPE 1000pro
2 Gig Crucial DDR 400 ram
2 SATA Maxtor 200 gig drives

running two WUs on this config slows my computer by half. Also raises the temp of an Intel by 20 degrees F
An AMD will raise in Temp by at least 30 to 40 degrees causing equipment life to be cut down drastically.

Windows 2003 splits up the separate WUs and evenly distributes the processor load among the WUs.

*****XP DOES NOT!!*****

If you try and run 10 WUs with XP you will have a VERY difficult time accessing ANYTHING short of pushing the power button for a hard shutdown.

thought I'd let everyone know from my mistakes and learning the hard way.

[Edited on 1-1-2004 by nwscc]

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by nwscc
*****XP DOES NOT!!*****

If you try and run 10 WUs with XP you will have a VERY difficult time accessing ANYTHING short of pushing the power button for a hard shutdown.

thought I'd let everyone know from my mistakes and learning the hard way.

[Edited on 1-1-2004 by nwscc]

Hi nwscc!!

Thanx for the advice - I run WinXP here on both machines and have decided to leave "well enough alone" ie continue to use the SETI client 3.08 rather than go for the command line version *just in case* I end up totally disabling the thing!!

Here my aerage times are around 5-6 hours per WU on a 2Ghz P4 using 256 RAM and ATI 9600 graphics card, and around 4 hours per WU on the 2.6Ghz P4 with 512 RAM and nVidia GeForce (256 RAM) card. This means around 10 WU's per day, barring dropped connections from SETI server or *my* end getting disrupted.

Thanx, however, for sending the details and the zipped programs!!

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Not a problem at all.
I just use the command line version with Seti Spy and the Seti Driver so I can process two at a time. I was averaging 1 WU every 2 or so hours and when I started processing 2 at a time it uped it to 3.5 hours. Not to bad. (on xp machine) Win2k3 server cranks them out 40 at a time.

www.nwscc.com...

[Edited on 5-1-2004 by nwscc]

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
A question, I've been running Seti for a lil bit (2400+ hrs)
on a Pentium 4 1.9 Ghz, 512 mb ram, if I "x" out of seti, it does not close, but goes to the taskbar. Is it still running? Or is it idling? It doesn't matter to me if it is still running, I am just curious cause I really can't see a difference in CPU activity one way or another.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
A question.... if I "x" out of seti, it does not close, but goes to the taskbar. Is it still running?

It's still running! You *can* exit if you go to the taskbar and "right click" on exit but "simply" clicking in the "X" leaves it crunching! (Similarly, SETI is quite happy to "release" CPU time if other apps need it eg I game play here - B&W, Freelancer, etc - and *these* increase the time it takes to process WU's). Mind you, I'm *not* playing 24/7, so SETI get's it's share of CPU!!

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Cool, thats what I assumed, since I could see it when I would Ctrl Alt Del, but wasn't quite sure if it was still crunching.

thanks for the info. Now I can leave it running most of the time when I am doing other things.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwscc

www.nwscc.com...

Nice set up!! I *might* post my station here too - when I set up the room, I put in 7 two-gang 13amp/ 250 volt sockets in the ring main - yes, *not* enough of course!! Computers now run off seperate surge-protected 6 way socket....

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
Now I can leave it running most of the time when I am doing other things.

It's the *only* way to be Storm!!

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Computer setups would be a cool thread to start. It would be interesting to see what everyone runs and what thier setup looks like.

I run mine through a power conditioner and a UPS from a VERY large cabinet system.

A friend and I are setting up a cabinet system containing 32 Intel Xeon 750 processors and 30 gig ram with 2 tera bytes of harddrive running on Terradata software and Linux. To run this system ups electric bill by $1000 a month so we wont be running it long. I'm going to set up the command line one it to see how many WUs it will crank out lol. But then it has to be shipped out. Hard to justify a $600,000 system running Seti@Home.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
The command line client is quite a bit faster processing WU's a lot quicker. Thanks for passing on the files

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Not a problem at all

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by nwscc]

top topics

join