home made fishfarm maybe

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
could you use an inflatable swimming pool 24 foot by 4 foot deep as an imprompto catfish farm. i have one in my back yard i never use any more
could i turn it into a fish farm?

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Seems like a waste. You are going to spend all that time maintaining water quality and resources feeding the fish, after already having caught them anyway. You might as well just catch and eat them whenever you want instead of taking the extremely difficult and impractical route.

You would need filters/some way of getting oxygen into the water, large heaters in the colder months, and a bunch of other stuff. Not to mention I'm not sure if they would like tap water much so you would probably have to filter it with something like a Brita filter first to get out the chlorine, etc. There may be some form of purification tablet you could use though.

I'm also not even sure if it's legal. Especially if you're working with large numbers of fish. You might need some sort of permit. The neighbours might notice all that splashing around

Anyway if you want to do it as a hobby in your spare time, you could probably pull it off. But it's a very poor choice in a survival situation I would say.

If you're serious about it, start off with a small aquarium and one small catfish, and see if you can keep it alive for more than a month, before you start dumping dozens of fish into a giant pool. My uncle has caught and kept sunfish in an aquarium (not for eating though), so it's possible.

Oh, and probably a lid, since most fish species love to jump, and you'd likely find 2 or 3 fish laying by the side of the pool every morning.

I can also think of several species I would rather have than catfish, if I was going to all that work. Pickeral ("Walleye") and trout would be a good pool-sized fish. You may even be able to keep a few salmon alive in there. (But not salmon and anything else or it would likely eat them.)

In a survival situation, there are lots of different types of fish traps you can construct. I probably wouldn't farm them though.

If you want to farm something to eat, why don't you get a pet pig, duck, chicken, or a similar small land animal? That way you don't even have to worry about the water element.

[edit on 24-4-2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
its not that hard to keep fish in my area when i was a kid me and my step father dug a fish pond for my mother that was 3 foot deep and 12 feet across we stocked it with cois and 1 albino catfish we kept the water aerated and fed them quaker oats after a couple of years they were almost 2 feet long and we sold them off. we didn't feed them during winter months or heat the pond but it was full of aquatic plants. also the local fisherie will give you fish to stock your pond if you ask them. i was just wondering if it would work with a large plastic swimming pool.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
post refrigeration it might be a way to keep fish in the short term as you catch them, as for raising them that would require a larger area. we caught and stored crawdads and other fish in a bath tub till we wanted to eat them.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
For any small fish farm you must have a small fence around your pond. Or else your local animals will be eating fresh fish as well. If its larger than 15 feet or so I don't think you will have a problem.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Fish farming is not all that difficult and people around the world are raising fish with little trouble. You do not need a huge setup and you can even raise fish in relatively small containers. Your pool size would be fine for fish farming. I would recommend Tilapia over catfish, however. Tilapia are very well suited to being farm raised and grow bigger and faster than just about any other species on the same amount of food. You can use tap water no problem to fill the pool but you must let it breath for a while so that any chlorine can flash off before you add fish. You don't need to keep the water crystal clear and in fact you actually want some organic matter in the water to work as a natural buffer. Rain water collected from the roof is a good plan for keeping the pool filled and for adding new water.

There is plenty of information on the web about fish farming. A pool your size can give you about 50 fish a year. Now that's good eating!

top topics

join