It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2004: Year of the Slave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I saw this essay on What Really Happened. It is nameless. Mike Rivero might have written it. Regardless of who the author is, and regardless of what one thinks of that site, the content of the essay is dead on. No one can dispute the truth it contains. It's a powerful indictment of the state of our nation. It presents the view that we are at the end of the road regarding our constitutionally-protected personal freedoms and that if we don't adjust course immediately, America will sink as fast and unexpectedly as the titanic did. I completely agree. As dire as the warning is, until the darkness falls, there is always hope. Hope that we as a nation might wake from our slumber and take back this country from those who would destroy it.

You are a slave.

I know that�s not what you want to hear as you hoist your New Year�s champagne, but it is the unpleasant truth that we all face going into 2004.

Movies and public school like to portray slaves as bound by chains and beaten with whips, creating a polarized image of slavery that can be pointed to with the comment, �You are not like that, therefore you are not a slave.� But history shows that slaves have been treated in all manner of ways, some more cruel than others, yet even with the most kind treatment, a slave remains a slave.

Setting aside the stereotyped image of a slave as a bleeding chain-bound wretch, slaves throughout history are often hard to recognize. In some cases, such as the Medieval Serfs, they were held slaves to the rulers by religious belief, and did not see themselves as slaves even though they were treated as such. The favored slaves of Asian potentates wore jewels to make a movie star gasp, yet were still slaves for all their finery and comfort.

So, what is a slave? How do we define a slave? What test do we use to tell if someone is a slave. What makes them different from free people?

Free people can say �no�. Free people can refuse demands for their money, time, and children. Slaves cannot. There is no freedom without the freedom to say �no�. If someone demands that you do something and you can say �no� and refuse to do it, then you are a free human being. If you can be forced to do something or surrender something that you do not wish to, then you are a slave. No other test need be applied.

the rest:
www.whatreallyhappened.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
That is really interesting..especially the part about the freedom to say 'no'. We don't have this. So we aren't completely free. That makes some sense I believe..but without some laws, mass chaos would errupt, so you really have to balance the scale. Good post, interesting story

-wD

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
We all must follow the agreed to set of laws, that is true. That's simply the social contract. But the ends it persues, like are we able to simply say no to paying taxes (forget about the fact that it's unconstitutional to begin with)? NO. Is the truth. If you refuse to pay taxes, you will definitely pay. Uncle Sam'll take it straight outta yo azz.

It's also true about what he says regarding Tommy Chong being in jail for simply possessing a bong and Ken lay is still out there walkin' around like Cool Moe D, after defrauding a multitude of people and causing their entire life fortunes to vanish. Then there's the image of Don Rumsfeld shaking Saddam Hussein's hand back in the 80's - knowing full-well that he was busy using poison gas on the Iranians. The people seem to have no way of prosecuting the criminals who make up our government. They are seemingly bulletproof.

It's disgusting. And it's even more disgusting that the American people can put a stop to it. If only they would snap out of it and persue the truth and the accompanying justice.

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Okay - I read the article. Very compelling and articulate. My question is - why do people write articles such as this one (and others I have read) yet offer no solutions? What can I do as a "slave" to remedy the situation? How can I and others fight back? I've read a lot about the problems of the world, but have not read any solutions. The only solution I can offer myself right now is to try and be informed, not believe all of the hype (could George W. Bush and others really be reptillian creatures that eat children! c'mon now!), be the best parent I can be to my child, and be the best person I believe I can be. What else is there? And that's not a rhetorical question. I honestly wonder, what else can I do?

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Its scarily true. Articles like this one are made to inspire thought, not solve problems. Revolutionary writers didn't tell the Americans how to fight the war, they just told them they needed to.

Will we have another revolution if the government breaks the social contract? Probably, if we are not totally enslaved by then.

[Edited on 1-1-2004 by MrJingles]

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Well, Weedpickr, is that the kind of weed I'm thinking of.. if so, that's a great start.

The point of posting the article was to basically say, here's where we are.. Now what can we do about it.

Getting to the truth and being big enough to face it is the first step.

The second step, is of course, doing something about it. Like writing your elected officials at all levels. In this election year, if we choose to believe that our votes still count, we can get behind a candidate and work for their campaigne. Write editorials and send them to your local papers and to magazines. Make your voices be heard. Be proactive politically and do not take silence for an answer.

That's just the first steps. There are many other solutions to the problems we face. But it takes effort on all our parts. If you have anything to add to this, please let us hear from you. All ideas are worth discussion.

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJingles
Its scarily true. Articles like this one are made to inspire thought, not solve problems. Revolutionary writers didn't tell the Americans how to fight the war, they just told them they needed to.

Will we have another revolution if the government breaks the social contract? Probably, if we are not totally enslaved by then.

[Edited on 1-1-2004 by MrJingles]

All governments come to an end, unfortunately. When our economy finally collapses under the weight of mass debt, or a major whammy of a terrorist event occurs, and martial law grips the nation, Revolution is a huge possibility. Especially when the government makes its move to repeal the 2nd ammendment and weapons' confiscation begins. It'll be nasty.

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
No, "weedpickr" is not the weed, it's more metaphorical, like trying to get the weeds (lies, hatred, tyranny) out of a beautiful garden (earth, spiritualism, self esteem, your answer here).

It's obvious I'm new here, but I think I'm like a lot of people who come here seeking answers. I want to learn more about what is going on and how to change things for the better. Unfortunately I've found that in a lot of the forums, writers just bash the other writers, even those who seem to be sincere. But I guess it's like my name, picking out the bad and searching for the good.

Your ideas are good, I still think voting is a way to get opinions out there, if only more people would vote. I unfortunately live in a state that is run by a religion based on lies and fantasy. It's hard for me to know how to try and change things here. (Maybe I need to move - but then there is that question of where? LOL - always more questions than answers!)

Thank you for posting the article and your replies.

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedpickr
No, "weedpickr" is not the weed, it's more metaphorical, like trying to get the weeds (lies, hatred, tyranny) out of a beautiful garden (earth, spiritualism, self esteem, your answer here).

It's obvious I'm new here, but I think I'm like a lot of people who come here seeking answers. I want to learn more about what is going on and how to change things for the better. Unfortunately I've found that in a lot of the forums, writers just bash the other writers, even those who seem to be sincere. But I guess it's like my name, picking out the bad and searching for the good.

Your ideas are good, I still think voting is a way to get opinions out there, if only more people would vote. I unfortunately live in a state that is run by a religion based on lies and fantasy. It's hard for me to know how to try and change things here. (Maybe I need to move - but then there is that question of where? LOL - always more questions than answers!)

Thank you for posting the article and your replies.

Thanks - and don't worry WP, I wasn't pickin' on ya.
Just easily sidetracked by certain things...

Voting is good. Being informed is great. Discussing the issues with anyone willing to discuss them is also a good way to start a fire. As I said, there are many forums to get the truth out there and intelligent debate started. We just have to find whatever outlets we can to make sure certain issues are out front. The people can make a difference - they've just been told for far to long that it doesn't matter. It's time for us to prove that we can and will make a difference. If we don't, it's our country to lose.

top topics

join