It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beagle falls down crater?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The fickle finger of fate strikes again....

www.guardian.co.uk...

British scientists are toying with the possibility that their missing baby, Beagle 2, might have tumbled down the slopes of an impact crater on Mars.

"Right at the centre of the ellipse that we were aiming at is a 1km crater," said Colin Pillinger, the lead scientist on the mission. "We'd have to be incredibly accurate, and also incredibly unlucky, if it went down this crater; which, of course, wouldn't be good news.

"One would not want to go into a crater - one would not want to bounce around it. There is going to be impact debris around it, which means more rocks, and if we get to the bottom of a crater we reduce our attempts to be able to signal out of it." He put the probability of landing in the crater at "a little more than one in 200".

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The Mars curse strikes again, huh? Well, maybe next time we will look at for "drunk" meteorites eh?

-wD

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I wouldn't be supprised if Beagle created the damn crater. The design seemed kinda dodgy to me - I think it was designed to bounce along the surface of Mars after landing...I mean, what the hell is that all about?

join