It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor fired over Va. Tech discussion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Professor fired over Va. Tech discussion

news.yahoo.com

BOSTON - An adjunct professor was fired after leading a classroom discussion about the Virginia Tech shootings in which he pointed a marker at some students and said "pow."

The five-minute demonstration at Emmanuel College on Wednesday, two days after a student killed 32 people on the Virginia Tech campus, included a discussion of gun control, whether to respond to violence with violence, and the public's "celebration of victimhood," said the professor, Nicholas Winset.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Could this really be enough grounds to fire someone? It's not like he intentionally did it to tease the students or endanger their safety. The school needs more professors who will help the students understand and cope with the situation better, rather than fire one over something so small as this.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
this is an outrage, No one should be treated like this at all, Burn the school to the ground

( for you fear mongers, this was sarcasm, It just shows how much "higher" higher education really is not )

I honestly think the Human race is nearing it's End, it's no longer taking responsibility for it's self and has to many thinking they can "blame" everything on something/one else. It is endemic around the world, no one is standing up and saying enough is enough.

Either that or we declare Open hunting season on each other and thin the herd some, it's just too much any more.

It's now time to stop having children because soon it will be a crime, seeing as how life is 100% fatal you will be accused of child abuse, by the "government"

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
He was fired because his view contradicted what the school administration believed should be taught. He showed how easy an armed person could have resolved the situation. This went against the school's message that guns are BAD. That there is no possible situation where guns could ever be good. Look at Colorado where they are protesting a statue of a local man who was a Navy SEAL killed in Afghanistan, because the statue shows him as armed.

We are being conditioned to be a society of wussies. (feel free to change the first consonent in wussies to one of your choice) We are programmed to give in to any threat, that it is wrong to defend ourselves or to resist in anyway.

Why did they pick airliners on 9-11? Because it was the safest thing that they could do. Everybody on board was guarenteed to be unarmed, the flight crews were trained to give in and to cooperate with hijackers. I always wondered what would have happened if the passengers of Flight 93 were successful. I am willing to bet that there would have been some who would have wanted charges pressed against the passengers who rebelled for violating proceedures.

I have been fired from two jobs for using a pistol (legally) to prevent myself from being robbed. One of the companies offered me my job back after 5 employees were killed when their store was robbed. I attend college now and I can guarentee that I will be armed at all times from now on when I attend class. One of my professors asked me last Thursday night if I was carrying, I told him yes and his reply was "Good". The Supreme Court has declared that the Police are under no obligation to protect us. (Gonzales vs Castle Rock) Fine with me. That just makes me responsible for the protection of myself and those around me.

[edit on 23-4-2007 by JIMC5499]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I agree that the students should be taught how to handle themselves should another situation like Virginia Tech arise, but I wouldn't want a financial accounting professor trying to teach them.

Come on, we are all upset and see that something needs to be done, and I applaud this guy's gumption to get up and try to help but this is something that needs to come down from the Universities not this guy.

I am sure there are serious conversations going on across the country on how to better prepare the students, a simulated shooting in a financial accounting class isn't one of them.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Come on, we are all upset and see that something needs to be done, and I applaud this guy's gumption to get up and try to help but this is something that needs to come down from the Universities not this guy.

From what I read, the teacher was acting out a situation to prove a point. I am willing to bet that the faculty of this school was told that if a student brought up the VT incident in class that they were to take the time to discuss it, no matter what class it was in. I know that my entire Computer Science class last Thursday night was dedicated to it because a single student brought up the subject. That was when my profesor asked if anyone in the class had a Conceled Carry Permit and I raised my hand. He told us that the Administration issued a directive for class discussions on this subject.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
JIMC5499,

I can understand the concern as this is so vivid in the minds of everyone, I am sure that students are even more tense, considering all the copy-cat threats since the tragedy.

My point is "how do you know" if these professors are capable of leading this kind of discussion in an informed way? Are they just relaying personal feelings on the issue?

Just some concerns I have on the subject, I actually want students to be informed, I just don't want bad information getting to them especially now that so many are vulnerable and looking for guidance right now.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
My point is "how do you know" if these professors are capable of leading this kind of discussion in an informed way? Are they just relaying personal feelings on the issue?

I don't know. That should be something for the School's Administration to determine. What exactly should the qualifications be for someone to lead this discussion? Please don't say Psychatrist or Psychologist. In my opinion they really do more harm than good. I think any discussion is better than no discussion. Hell, several of the people in my class were looking to me for answers.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
We've come to the point in our society where we are being told it's alright to give in and suffer, as long as we ourselves do nothing to protect us because it is not our job to protect ourselves. Yet our law enforcement is no where need adequate to protect us the way we should be protected.

Guns don't kill people, so I don't know why people are attacking guns, people should be attacking each other on the subject because a gun will never get up on it's imaginary feet and some how, some way pull it's own trigger after magically loading itself. I guarantee this.

To say that violence can only be answered with peace is completely absurd because last time I checked, being subdued doesn't win you a fight and being on the defensive never won a war.(I mean one nation versus another, not a rebellion of any kind)

The administrations of these schools can hide with their tail between their legs all they want and hope to god that nothing ever happens again after they took all guns away and made it virtually impossible for anyone to protect themselves. The problem will never... EVER go away. Not while there is still a breathe in a human.

Mankind has not reach a low point in it's history, it's only found different ways of causing harm to itself. Same story, different tools.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
One lonely man with a gun went in a rampage, he alone manage to walk armed into a building killing as he went.

Then he manage to cross the campus and continued his rampage in another location.

What is wrong with this picture?

How many people did he have to go through before killing himself?

How many tried to stop him . . . nobody.

We have become a nation of pacifist gullible zombies that can not play heroes anymore and stop one lonely single killer in a rampage not only one time but two times.

Yes, is about time we start teaching that is OK to defend ourselves and its OK to stop a killer, instead of stand like targets until the "protectors in uniform comes to the rescue"

The professor didn't do anything wrong, we as human are at fault for letting things like this happening to us.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
JimC I WATS'ed you on the excellent post. there is much more to add.

I commend you for being armed to protect yourself

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
He was fired because his view contradicted what the school administration believed should be taught. He showed how easy an armed person could have resolved the situation. This went against the school's message that guns are BAD. That there is no possible situation where guns could ever be good. Look at Colorado where they are protesting a statue of a local man who was a Navy SEAL killed in Afghanistan, because the statue shows him as armed.

We are being conditioned to be a society of wussies. (feel free to change the first consonent in wussies to one of your choice) We are programmed to give in to any threat, that it is wrong to defend ourselves or to resist in anyway.

Why did they pick airliners on 9-11? Because it was the safest thing that they could do. Everybody on board was guarenteed to be unarmed, the flight crews were trained to give in and to cooperate with hijackers. I always wondered what would have happened if the passengers of Flight 93 were successful. I am willing to bet that there would have been some who would have wanted charges pressed against the passengers who rebelled for violating proceedures.

I have been fired from two jobs for using a pistol (legally) to prevent myself from being robbed. One of the companies offered me my job back after 5 employees were killed when their store was robbed. I attend college now and I can guarentee that I will be armed at all times from now on when I attend class. One of my professors asked me last Thursday night if I was carrying, I told him yes and his reply was "Good". The Supreme Court has declared that the Police are under no obligation to protect us. (Gonzales vs Castle Rock) Fine with me. That just makes me responsible for the protection of myself and those around me.

[edit on 23-4-2007 by JIMC5499]

This is so true, we are becoming a bunch of tea drinking, wussies. Im sorry but im not the biggest, strongest guy, but when it comes time to do a job in the name of the nation, its about heart. We are so lazy, and turning fat, .....

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Just glad I live in Arizona.

. . . me and my Glock!

top topics

join