It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it illegal to have a homemade silencer?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Does anybody know the laws regarding silencers? Has anybody ever made one? How do you go about getting one that you don't make yourself? Are there interchangeable barrels with a threaded end made for most of today's weapons?

Peace

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Im pretty sure that would be illegal.... why the hell do u need a silencer anyway???? who dont you want to hear you? and what do you plan on doing? hmmmmm

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Does anybody know the laws regarding silencers? Has anybody ever made one? How do you go about getting one that you don't make yourself? Are there interchangeable barrels with a threaded end made for most of today's weapons?

Peace

Well just on a quick search:
"Under the us federal law, silencers are given exactly the same classification as machine guns."
It is usually a state by state basis as far as exact law, but for the most part silencers are illegal in the usa unless you have some sort of special permit. Now I got that from this site:
Source
no clue how accurate it is.
I've never made one.
You usually have to have one custom made/fitted on a gun by gun basis from what i understand.
Interesting thread!

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Peace

You went to public school..right?? Television/movie education??

Ok..ok..here goes...

Just in case you fit this bill and have problems thinking outside of the box...check out this Stephen (Cigar) Segal movie.

On Deadly Ground

If you can manage to sit through this demanding video...there are instructions in it for making a one shot silencer. I was surprised to see this in a movie format...but there it was. Here is Stephen (Cigar) Segal... mister nature himself ..peace love and going back to nature...with this info in a movie. Astonishing.

Also if you have the time to educate yourself on basics I suggest you check out the Paladin Press site here on the web. You will find several books on the subject. I am not sure if there are other sites which actually illustrate on line construction techniques.

Another source used to be Desert Publications. I am not sure if they are even in buisness anymore.

Do you have any machinery skills??

The information is out there...just look it up or find the material and read.
Use it at your own risk.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 23-4-2007 by orangetom1999]

[edit on 23-4-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
You will have to fill out a form (possibly several), get fingerprinted, and have to get signed off on by the chief of police that you are not a wanted felon. Pay a couple hundred dollar tax with your form. Whereis around the globe you can get one for less than hundred dollars, you will be paying a couple hundred dollars 90 days after you file your paperwork ONTOP of the tax.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
We sell maybe a hundred a year..So I know a little something here. First it depends on your state. Most YES and it is not that hard. You can either one fill out a form 4 with a SOT dealer that has one in stock, or two become a FFL/SOT. I would say that number one is the best route for most. You can also put the suppressor into a corp and bypass the CLEO signoff. You dont own the suppressor the corp will. This also means no fingerprints or pictures. However dont expect to "get away" with anything. You still have to pass the NICS check when you pick it up. Also check out

www.silencertests.com

later

And YES it is ILLEGAL to have a device that attaches to a firearm that reduces the db level without prior approval by BATF.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Im pretty sure that would be illegal.... why the hell do u need a silencer anyway???? who dont you want to hear you? and what do you plan on doing? hmmmmm

Typical uneducated attitude towards firearms related questions.

"Silencers" DO NOT silence guns, and are not deadly wicked tools of super ninjas and assassins the world over, in spite of what Hollywood tells you. A "Silencer", or more accurately, a suppressor only muffles the blast of the explosion, but does not cancel out the noise of the action or the bullet's sonic crack. You will still hear a very distinct sound as the gun is fired, and anyone within radius will know a gun was fired, but it will do significantly less damage to the hearing of those who are nearby.

The EPA states that anything louder than 85 db is "unsafe" or "hazardous", and that 115 db is considered "a serious health hazard". The EPA also states that you are obligated to take immediate action to try and reduce the noise emission and/or provide hearing protection to those exposed. However, a rifle (156 db) can not have its noise reduced by Federal Law.

Anyone who is still under the impression that silencers are as portrayed in movies should contact their local class3 dealer and ask for a demonstration of a silencer on both a handgun and a rifle. It is incredible how unrealistic the common image of a sound suppressor is in this country.

If anyone REALLY wants to know, U2U me and I'll dig out some literature on suppressors and their construction. I'm not sure about other countries, but here in the USA information alone in not illegal yet, so I will only send this info to my American brothers and sisters.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
yes..correct ..they dont cancel out all the noise...they reduce and muffle it substantially. They are building a house across the street from this location. You would never recognize it as a firearms report with a good silencer. Hardly more than a loud hand clap with a good one. Not enough to differentiate from background noise. Even with no construction you wouldnt recognize it in the next lot over..say ..if you were watching the boob tube.
It is all in the know how. Does the individual know how.

Yes ..so many people watch to much hollywood. Especially when you see them put on revolvers.

No it is not illegal to own or know the information. Correct here. I too have several books with the accompanying drawings/blueprints.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
if the bullet is a subsonic round then all you would get is the same effect as a hollywood movie

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
if the bullet is a subsonic round then all you would get is the same effect as a hollywood movie

Correct. It isn't the cartridge detonating that causes the majority of the noise, it is the sonic boom that the bullet makes. If you reload you own ammunition and use a ballistics table look for the listings with a muzzle velocity under 900 ft per sec. These are generally considered to be subsonic. Load 1 round using these specs and compair it to a normal round. You will be surprised at the difference. These rounds are NOT illegal. Another benefit is look at the weight of the bullet. You can actually make a round with a bigger punch at short distances because you can use a heavier slug.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
It is illegal to buy, sale, or own any kind of silencer. Since the only reason to use one is well bad.

But just for note its only illegal if you get caught.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
It is illegal to buy, sale, or own any kind of silencer. Since the only reason to use one is well bad.

Go play a video game while grown folks is talking.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76

Did you go to public schools and never got over it???

THe only reason to use one is well...bad. Does this explain why the governments ..state, local, and federal have so many of them?? THey must be bad!!

Not all of us here fell off the turnip truck yesterday. Last week perhapsed..but not yesterday.

Silencers are quite lawful in some countrys.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
As i've stated in numerous other threads the law against silencers in USA is rediculous.
Out here government engourages people to use silencers while hunting in order to protect the hearing of hunters and their dogs, it allso avoids the problem of annoying people living close to shooting ranges.

ps. Out here means Finland, we have a strict gun control and still we have more legal guns/capita than any where else in Europe.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
yes you can have one and if you want to see a good discussion on the subject check northwolf 's post he is very knowledgeable on the subject.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   

The answer to your quewstion is yes it is illegal to make your own silencer unless you have permission from BTAF.

Warning: It is illegal to possess or make firearm silencers without BATF registration. For academic study only.

Source

COURT OF APPEALS OF VIRGINIA affirms conviction

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Imagine Americans armed with suppressors for domestic use, quiet but deadly against burglars.

Thats quite a deterrent for burglars that would never know where the bullet came from, unless he or she is really close to the shooter.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Just to make you all jealous silencers are perfectly legal here in the UK.

For air rifles / .22 they can be bought over the counter (but if they are used on a firearm they must be listed on an FAC)

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Strangerous
I'll trump you, all silencers are legal without registeration in Finland, up to .50 BMG (heaviest supressed weapon i've seen was .380 Lapua Mag.)

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
All Silencers are legal in the USA, as long as you live in a NFA freindly state and file the paperwork involved.

Contact your local Class3 Dealer and ask.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join