It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture of What the Earth Looks Like According to the Bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
First, my supporting verses and explanations (the picture is at the end):

By the way, this is a collection of 2 posts I made somewhere else so I will have some words directed to other people where you won't know what I'm talking about so just pay attention to the verses I cite and my explanations of them. Those and the quotations I provide by Church officials and theoligians.

First, the sun revolves around the Eath
Here are some Bible passages that the Catholic Church used for about 1,500 years to justify that the sun revolves around the Earth. Since the Bible is obviously the perfect, 100% correct word of God, scientists that said the Church, God, and the Bible were wrong and that the Earth revolves around the sun were executed under God's command by the Church.

Joshua 10:12- 13 (Wow, Joshua is really biting the Christians back in the ass with so much wrong information)

"Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day."

In that passage, God commanded the sun to be still because it, according to most famous theologians in history, like Martin Luther, "revolves around the Earth".

Ecclesiastes 1:5

"The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose."

Of course, men thousands of years ago didn't know that the sun doesn't rise; from their perspective, the Earth stays still and the sun moves through the Earth's sky. We know today that this isn't true and a perfect God should have known the same. However, these are words of men and not words of God because the Biblical God doesn't exist.

I'm not making these up. The best Biblical scholars of the time agreed with me and now Biblical scholars contradict the Bible based on scientific evidence, not Biblical evidence.

So you can see for yourself, here's what Martin Luther had to say about the famous astronomer Nicholas Copernicus:

"That fool tries to distort the entire art of astronomy! But as the Holy Scripture shows, Joshua commended the Sun to stand still, and not
the Earth!"

What an ass he made of himself; today, we know that he is the fool and if you try to argue that the sun revolves around the Earth then you will be rightly labeled a fool.

Astronomy isn't an art. Astronomy is a science.

2: The Earth is Flat and Has Pillars Supporting it So it Doesn't Fall Down

"take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it (Job 38:12-13)

different translation of the same passage:

Job 38:13
13 That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?

A sphere doesn't have any edges. A sphere doesn't have any ends.

"The earth takes shape like clay under a seal." (Job 38:14)
source: sol.sci.uop.edu...

"Clay when stamped with a seal is not rounded into a ball, but flattened, like the clay seal (ca. 3300-3000 BCE) below found in Israel in 1994. Job believes that the earth was stamped out in the manner of clay flattened with a seal"
See this image:
sol.sci.uop.edu...

"[T]he devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them"
(Matthew 4:1-12)

You can't see an entire sphere from the top of a mountain or any fixed point. You could be at the other side of the Universe and you still couldn't see all the sides of the Earth from a fixed point. The author obviously thought the Earth was flat.

The visions of my head as I lay in bed were these: I saw, and behold, a tree in the midst of the earth; and its height was great. The tree grew and became strong, and its top reached to heaven, and it was visible to the end of the whole earth. (Daniel 4:10-11)
(Matthew 4:1-12)

This verse also teaches us that if you stand on something tall enough you can see the entire planet. It also teaches us that the earth has ends. You can only view half of a sphere from any fixed point, no matter how high it is. A sphere does not have ends. A flat Earth would have ends. The author obviously thought the Earth was flat.

To whom then will ye liken God? ....It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chuwg) of the earth (Isaiah 40:18-23

A circle is a flat object. There is a Hebrew word for sphere but the author chose to use the word circle. Again, the Bible teaches us that the Earth is flat.

Just to make sure, here is a Biblical passage that uses the Hebrew word for sphere or ball:

He will surely violently turn and toss thee like a BALL (duwr) into a large country: there shalt thou die, and there the chariots of thy glory shall be the shame of thy lord's house. (Isaiah 22:1

Circle meant the same thing then as it does today: a 2-dimensional, flat, and rounded object.

Isaiah 11:12
12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH.

A sphere doesn't have corners.

Revelation 7:1
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

A sphere doesn't have corners.

Jeremiah 16:19
19 O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ENDS OF THE EARTH, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit.

A sphere doesn't have ends.

Daniel 4:11
11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH:

A sphere doesn't have ends.

"He shakes the earth from its place and makes its pillars tremble. (Job 9:6)"

The Earth isn't going to just fall down so it doesn't need things hold it up.

[edit on 4/22/07 by RedDragon]

[edit on 4/22/07 by RedDragon]

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. (Job 38:4)"

The Earth apparently has a foundation (the pillars mentioned above) so it doesn't fall down.

4,000 years ago this would have made a little sense to a human author, limited by the knowledge of his time period, who was writing this stuff but it certainly wouldn't make sense to a perfect, all-knowing God.

So, here's the picture of the Earth as the Bible describes it:

Here's another picture that goes into more detail:

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
LOL! Are you really that bored?

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Lol, Redragon, my friend..

I sense you are eager to prove the shortcomings and contradictions of the Holy Bible, the Old & New Testaments.

I can understand why you would feel that way, afterall, those books were written mostly, at least the Old Testament, in as early as 1000 B.C, and about events that occured as far back as circa 3000-4000 B.C potentially.

During this time period, people were not aware that the Earth was round.

They were not aware of the Universe as we know it, and had no idea that stars were actually distant replicas of our Sun. They thought the other planets in our solar system weren't necessarily planets at all. They thought the Earth was flat and Hell was below this flat ground and Heaven was above the "firmament", which is what they called the Atmosphere around the Earth protecting it from the cosmic rays and such (O-zone layer).

So frankly, you're going through alot of trouble to show something that even ardent believers of the Bible realize and know isn't correct in the technical sense whatsoever. So I have to agree with the previous reply. heheh.

*pats redragon on the back* it'll be okay.

[edit on 4/22/2007 by runetang]

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Either the the Bible is the inspired word of an all-knowing God or it's UNinspired by God because an all-knowing would know that the Earth isn't that rediculous. You can't have it both ways and the first way obviously isn't the case.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedDragon
Either the the Bible is the inspired word of an all-knowing God or it's UNinspired by God because an all-knowing would know that the Earth isn't that rediculous. You can't have it both ways and the first way obviously isn't the case.

Third option: man isn't quite as 'smart' as he already assumes himself to be.

Galileo said it best. The bible is true...when CORRECTLY understood. It is a simple message presented in a complex multilayer fashion...through the lives of 'men of symbol' whose lives became myth/legend and also through archetypes and allegory. It is not imperfect. Our understandings are incomplete and therefore must not be set in cement quite yet.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Are you sure that Galileo didn't say that when the Church said they'd execute him if he didn't say it?

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The Holy Bible simply cannot be the literal word of God itself.

Neither can the Qu'ran , even those both religions have sects that believe this to be the case.

It's impossible to get the literal word of God. Especially untainted, and unchanged, when it was all written with human hands from the get-go; many human hands, of many diff people, who were of varying levels of intelligence and so on.

I'm a believer and I openly say this.

top topics

join