Thanks for everyones help so far, I'll go have a look at all the books you've suggested. In responce to some of your questions...
- It could have been somewhere other than Cornwall, but im quite sure it was southern England. I think Cornwall came to mind because there's a lot of
stories around that area.
- I'm afraid I don't know how old the book is, I've never seen the book itself so I couldn't even estimate a guess.
- I'm sure it was focused on a series of events that happened to one family rather than being a catalogue of stories from all over england. I think I
remember saying it was in diary or memoir form, but I don't know if it was written autobiographically by one of the supposed family, or in
- I think it was about a family (mother, father, children)
- I believe my friend said it took place over many years, possibly with the aliens asking the family to help them with something.
- I remember a basement/cellar being involved, but that could be a red herring so I wouldn't look into that clue too far.
I do remember her saying she was too scared to read it because her dad was scared by it, and he's a hard nut to crack in that sense.
Hope that's jogged someones memory
P.S. I'm a She thank you very much
Steel Penguin, the bit I've read on the internet about stuff going missing (like car keys) rings a bell - so I could be that. I'll keep reading up,
but please keeps the suggestions coming anyone who has fresh ideas
[edit on 23/4/07 by FudgeStix]