It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My next survival/hunting rifle

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Damocles

Everybody kind of rolled their eyes when I picked up my new FNP-9 earlier this year.

Now here we are 3 months later and .40 and .45 ammo is $30 a box and unavailable, and 9mm is $10 at my local farm supply store.

I never thought much of the 9mm but FN makes amazing weapons and I have been very impressed.

That and my trusty SKS...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

Dude!

I encountered a cougar this past year hunting the Chequamegon-Nicolet Forest in Wisconsin.

I had climbed halfway up a nearly vertical 30 foot dune and was sitting in my chain on chair.

I kept hearing these low rumbles, but it was -2 degrees out, and I had several layers on my head, so I was assuming it was my belly complaining about the night before.

When I realized it was my belly, I looked up, there it was, directly above, and salivating.

I turned in my chair to point my .308 at her, slid off the chair ( a loaner from my brother) and slid/rolled the 15 feet to the ground.

To this day, the WI DNR claims no cougars are present, or that they are released pets. While talking with a Sheriff's Deputy, I told him of this encounter, and he replied that he and the others see them all the time.

Beautiful animal, though.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Well, this really isn't relevant regarding survival rifles...I already own everything I need in that regard, but as far as hunting rifles..I already have those, too, but as far as my next purchase, I plan to get a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 (as a luxury purchase). At ranges within 150 yards with suitable standard ammunition (NEVER, EVER use the stupid, crap hollowpoints that Remington sells!) it will take any North American big game, and there are now hot loads commercially available which are suitable for large heavy African game (TO BE USED ONLY IN NEW MARLIN RIFLES!!!).

Good stuff. That's what I'm going for next.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

That's what they say down here in IL too, but folks see them as well. Last year they even found a dead bear down here!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
well ive just about completed my collection for now. just waiting for my dealer to finally get in the sig556 rifle (which was the OP's new one when this thread was started) but seems those are as rare as real photos of ufo's these days.

also still debating between the winchester 1300 defender and the remington 870. both 12g, both 18" barrels with extended mag tubes.

used to have a win and loved it, and remington always makes a good shotty. oh well, ill have one of them by tomorrow night

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join