It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

alternative rap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
ok i know this has been discussed a lot but i looked through and theres no recent threads out there on rap. now il isten to a lot of underground and alternative rap, like deltron, hieroglyphics, non phixion, jedi mind tricks, souls of mischief, digable planets, immortal technique, saul williams, dr octagon etc i was just wonderin who else out there likes good hip hop and if anyone has any suggestions on other artists

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I love rap and am a rapper myself ( check out my rap thread on Chit Chat)

I recommend:

myself (lol)
Guce
Killa Tay
C-bo
Yukmouth
Tech N9ne
Keak Da Sneak
Luni Coleone
X-Raided
Brotha Lynch Hung
Tupac
Mac Dre
Gonzoe
The Regime
Messy Marv
Mistah FAB
T-Nutty
Bavgate

if you want specific names of good songs, ask me I'll give you some. What kind do you like, Crunk, gangsta, hyphy, "softcore", or oldschool rap? Most of the ones I mentioned are gangsta rappaz. Tupac was unique, he had gangsta rap, and softcore rap (like Dear Mama) which you'd enjoy if you weren't into the foul mouthed, violent rap

Tupac is the best btw
R.I.P.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Sage Francis! I like his stuff, very literary, very poetic, and no mention of his hoes, b*tches, ak47s etc. Its a million miles away from what the commercial rap 'artists' produce.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I think you should check out the following tracks by Enduser:

Positioned (features Nongenetic of Shadow Huntaz)
Interruption pt1
Rights Of Passage

Enduser's albums are always a mixed bag of genres, but these are his best when it comes to hip hop. Enduser is just the producer, and always gets in guest rappers, but his production is tight as a drum, so to speak. If you like a bit of drum n bass, Enduser might be worth checking out for that reason too.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
yeah im into tupac, and listen to pretty much any type of rap im not too picky. ive been meaning to get into sage francis and im goin to see tech nine in a few months. but yeah ill def check out some of these thanks

SR

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Here's what i listen to really i dunno if you peeps will class it as alternative though so just tell me to
if it aint:

louis logic
lootpack
Mos Def
Inspectah Deck
RZA
MF DOOM
M.I.C
GM GRIMM
G. Rap
Aesop Rock
P.O.S
Atmosphere
Terror Squad
Chino XL
Talib Kweli
The Roots
Big Daddy Kane
NECRO
Immortal technique

Basically most of what everyone above put too and classic Mobb Depp, NAS, Jay-Z etc. etc. back from the day.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
yeah i guess what i meant by alternative was really just artists that arent generally played on the radio, are underground, or whatever...anyone know when the middle passage is comin out??? i went to a immortal technique concert not too long ago but he didnt say anything about it

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
oh, so you want underground, yeah, most of the people I mentioned you won't hear on the radio, and they got some really good stuff

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
check out madlib, quasimoto, eyedea, MF DOOM, the GZA, the RZA, sage francis for sure if youre lookin for some insightful stuff.. umm...

JMT is great but you listed them already, hmm

give cormega a chance, umm, aceyalone is good too

kool G rap, jay dilla (r.i.p), big L(R.i.p., umm

jaylib(madlib and jay dilla), the artifacts, black moon, heltah skeltah, black star(mos def&talib kweli), any boot camp clik or course

umm, crooked I for some real west coast stuff

devin the dude!!! classic right there!....

joe budden for some deep deep stuff(Highly recommend this dude)
man i could go on forever, i love hip hop

king geedorah, KMD, umm Vikter Vaugn(all MF DOOM by the way)

raekwon, saigon, SEAN PRICE!!!

tragedy khadafi and uhhhhhhh if you want to get into mainstream artists let me know cuz i can recomend a lot of them too but the names i just named seem like the kinda stuff you would like

[edit on 28-4-2007 by biotic]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I noticed you mentioned non phixion and jedi mind, so if you havent already checked out these try

Army of the pharoahs members:
Outerspace
Celph titled
King Syze
and any all of the other members albums are also pretty strong

La Coka Nostra - even though they havent released there own album just yet you can hear some of there tracks on ill bill is the future vol.2

I also listen to wu-tang and any member of the wu fam

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
wu fam is great

shabazz the disciple
killa priest
la the darkman
hell razah
warcloud

man the wu fam is so big i cant even remember all the names, great suggestion mr robarto

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I don't know if you'd call it alternative,or rap,but I dig Skinnyman.

Mostly an r&b,metal fan,but this guy combines blues/rap and it sounds good to me.

This album rocks

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Underground is where its at man. I am telling you, these peeps spit hot fire regardless. If you dont enjoy at least one of these people, then you should start listening to (insert least favorite genre of music here).

My suggestions would be the following:

Little Brother
Mood
Blackstar
Wade Waters
Murs
Supastition
Kev Brown
Grap Luva
Sean Price
Nicolay
Hi-tek
Skyzoo
Slum village
Big L
Guru
Pete Rock
Masta Ace

Enjoy the goodness

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
i've been gettin into parkour videos and stuff on youtube and they all have like french rap...that #s dope man you guys should get some fonky family or other french stuff

new topics

top topics

join