It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Every Teacher Needs To Get Their Concealed Handgun License

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The real tough guy/girls would have no trouble whatsoever in taking a gun away from some candyass teacher. Then you would have a problem.

If you want safer schools? Institute a mental health program that can get the crazies the help they need or at least locked up.

Sorry, no money for mental health facilities. We got a war on terror to fight.

While the American infrastructure crumbles into decay and everyone hides in their fortified homes and homeschools their kids into ignorance.

Welcome to the Monkey House!!

[edit on 22-4-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
This notion that kids today are worse than they were ten, twenty, or thirty years ago is a joke in my opinion. Kids today are just as messed up as they were at any point in time. Kids misbehave, they disobey, they "do their own thing" just like every other generation. While this generation might be taking it a little farther, it is still no different. The only thing that has changed is the way the media represents it. School shootings like Virginia Tech, Dawson College, and Columbine are never far from our minds. So when some little "punk" disrespects us on the sidewalk, we quickly paint them with the same brush.

The same "punks" were disobedient years ago, only we didn't have the media driving it down our throats.

Society has changed, the media has changed, technology has changed, almost everything has changed. But kids are kids, and they've been kids for as long as any of us can remember.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Well as I believe that safe sex is not the answer and teaching kids about sex is a must. I believe that god created sex for Wife and Husband to enjoy together and each time that we have (CASUAL) sex it takes something from us. I am not so sure that it takes something from us as it teached our bodies to feel differently about the whole 'Sex' thing.

Anyways, back on topic. I do agree with you that there needs to be classes offered in high school how how to operate a pistol and use it and most of all the dangers that can become of its' misusages.

If you kept guns and clips seperate in the classroom possibly the clip inside a safe and the gun out in the "Break this glass" (container) then it could possibly work to benefit as a deterrent. Or possibly use rubber bullets that feel as if you have been shot whenever they hit you directly, but alter realize that the bullet just made you soil yourself.

Originally posted by bokinsmowl
its like telling kids fires are dangerous and then putting an open flame in every classroom. kind of hypocritical huh? do as i say not as i do mentality. maybe instead of giving teachers guns we get them to teach kids that guns aren't the answer.

guns are dangerous, as adults we know this, but i dont think enough information is out there for children. some times the best answer isn't to hide things from kids but to bring it out in the open and encourage an understanding of the situation.

guns are unfortunately a necessary evil and keeping it taboo just creates an overwhelming curiosity and kids may investigate on their own...usually ending up learning the hard way.

we teach kids about safe sex, why not firearm responsibility as well.

[edit on 4/20/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
You are exactly right .... The only thing that has changed are the Elderly people and how they respond to the younger generation;it is not like it use to be with them inviting the younger generation into thier homes and cooking for them. But then on the other hand the younger generation doesn't have to work like they use to. And the ones that do work are doing so at Sonic or somewhere besides the fields hauling hay or Rough Necking or the local feed store.

Originally posted by chissler
This notion that kids today are worse than they were ten, twenty, or thirty years ago is a joke in my opinion. Kids today are just as messed up as they were at any point in time. Kids misbehave, they disobey, they "do their own thing" just like every other generation. While this generation might be taking it a little farther, it is still no different. The only thing that has changed is the way the media represents it. School shootings like Virginia Tech, Dawson College, and Columbine are never far from our minds. So when some little "punk" disrespects us on the sidewalk, we quickly paint them with the same brush.

The same "punks" were disobedient years ago, only we didn't have the media driving it down our throats.

Society has changed, the media has changed, technology has changed, almost everything has changed. But kids are kids, and they've been kids for as long as any of us can remember.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon

Anyways, back on topic. I do agree with you that there needs to be classes offered in high school how how to operate a pistol and use it and most of all the dangers that can become of its' misusages.

This kind of brings up another issue thats been on my mind for some time now. What happened to all of the school rifle teams? There was a time when just about every public school had a rifle team. My father used to keep his rifle in his locker for Pete's sake! They all did!

All of this hoopla over teaching our kids in school about gay sex and condoms but all of the gun clubs are gone, the rifle teams are gone, the gun has magically transformed from a thing in every home and a gift under every 8 year olds Christmas tree and an after school activity for entire families into this evil thing to be afraid of and shunned.

WTH happened?

The worst is back when you could walk down a high school hallway and fins a rifle and a box of ammo in every other locker there werent any school shootings and the gang land kids had knife fights. Now the guns are demonized and evil and kids are shooting kids all over the place.

Tell me how that works.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Why is it that we use to have less than half of the home schooled kids than we do today. And there was never a FEAR in the school system ?

Could it have been that the Super at the school would have torn little johnny's ass up ? Or the coach at the school wasn't just a pansy coach who the town talked about after losing a football game. He was the guy waking up at 4-5 o'clcok in the morning having breakfast with those folks talking with them ... This is when people with disagreements learned to get together and talked through thier arguments. Now if there is any disagreement it will held in untill enevtually people explode.

Could we possibly just need places where we can all talk and accept each other. ???

Originally posted by whaaa
The real tough guy/girls would have no trouble whatsoever in taking a gun away from some candyass teacher. Then you would have a problem.

If you want safer schools? Institute a mental health program that can get the crazies the help they need or at least locked up.

Sorry, no money for mental health facilities. We got a war on terror to fight.

While the American infrastructure crumbles into decay and everyone hides in their fortified homes and homeschools their kids into ignorance.

Welcome to the Monkey House!!

[edit on 22-4-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I am not sure what happened here. I knwo my dad used to walk home from school everyday with his 12 guage. I have heard many stories about squirell hunting walking home from school. But never stopped to think about where he put his gun whenever he was at school. I know here in texas as long as you are going across a County line you are still able to carry a weapon on you. And there is some other really neat little things about our laws here that allow you to carry a loaded Shotgun or Rifle one ... Possibly one in the same. Anyways ...

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon

WTH happened?

The worst is back when you could walk down a high school hallway and fins a rifle and a box of ammo in every other locker there werent any school shootings and the gang land kids had knife fights. Now the guns are demonized and evil and kids are shooting kids all over the place.

Tell me how that works.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
This kind of brings up another issue thats been on my mind for some time now. What happened to all of the school rifle teams?

Well I don't know about yours but mine came in second to 29 Palms in the regionals in 2001. It's a safe bet that the school had completely forgotten that our rifles were there though, or they never would have let us keep them.

As for teachers getting their concealed handgun licenses... not until we improve our hiring standards for teachers here in California. If any of my teachers in highschool had been packing, I would have refused to attend their class until I was given permission to carry as well. Mr. Kaiser used to keep a 2' length of 2"x4" on his desk, and that creeped me out enough considering that man's disposition.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Vagabond raises a great point. I can speak of three of four teachers that I had, who were open about their substance abuse. One of the four actually had a few drinks in school each day. It was a case of having a lot of respect from his students, and really nothing was ever really said. If someone mentioned it, nobody ever really knew what they were talking about, but deep down we all knew the truth. Great guy, Even better teacher, but had a few personal issues. The thought of him with a gun in the desk, well that would be enough for me to skip a few extra classes.

Stanford Prison Experiment
The Milgram Experiment

Here are two threads that I've authored that look at studies by two men, which both describe how every day people can turn into complete monsters. It does not take someone of a "psycho" mentality to inflict harm. Regular people like you and I are capable of acting in despicable manners when offered a false sense of authority.

Teacher with a gun, yeah that seems to fit the mold quite well. Some teachers are on a power trip as it is. Put a gun in their hand and see how quick it takes to go to their head.

[edit on 23-4-2007 by chissler]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Don't be so ridiculous, teachers with guns!!!!!!!!
How many teachers get pissed off? LOTS
Why should it be their responsibility? SHOULDN'T
Is an institution with a gun in each classroom safe? ABSOLUTELY NOT
How many pissed off kids would want that gun? LOTS

Prevention is better than cure

I could go on but I won't.....

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
There has to be a solution. And being afraid of weapons is not that SOLUTION. We won this country with guns and guns used to be involved in everyday life as far as killing and eating what you killed. My dad used to bring his gun to school and his dogs in the back of his truck and hunt on the way back home on the side of the roads. But, that is never going to be allowed again because people are to irresponsible with thier children and never wanna take responsibility for anything.

I think this is where the problem begins with everything from the President on down ... I did not do this or I did not do that. Yeah yeah yeah ... kinda crazy ... anyways ...

Originally posted by nerbot
Don't be so ridiculous, teachers with guns!!!!!!!!
How many teachers get pissed off? LOTS
Why should it be their responsibility? SHOULDN'T
Is an institution with a gun in each classroom safe? ABSOLUTELY NOT
How many pissed off kids would want that gun? LOTS

Prevention is better than cure

I could go on but I won't.....

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I think metal detectors and tighter security would be a good move toward preventing guns in schools. However, the students would probably resort to other methods.

And I wouldn't mind SOME teachers having guns, carried on them at all times. But I think they should have to go through some professional evaluation to qualify.

Both of these measures only deal with symptoms of the problem, though and if it's going to be solved, a lot more attention needs to be paid to WHY kids want to kill people...

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I had an art teacher in high school who often tippled from his thermos. Presumably it was coffee but, trust me (I checked), it was wine (a rather cheap one at that). He was a great art teacher but, frankly, he would be the last man on earth that I would ever trust with a gun or weapon of any kind. That said, on a case by case basis, it would be hard to justify arming teachers. To be honest, arming teachers would only precipitate cases of teacher against student violence. It's not a stretch to imagine an overwrought teacher, trying to maintain control, losing "it".

Granted, its been a long time since I was in high school. I was a part of the class of '71. Yet, even at that early date, weapons in school were allready a problem. To that end, the school board had metal detectors installed at the main doors and everyone had to pass through a quick inspection. Yes, it was intrusive (the kids had to work a little harder at bringing in their "contraband") but, for the most part, we all felt a bit safer.

As far as securing a college or university campus, greater challenges must be met. But, where possible, some basic security improvements could easily be instituted. After all, one really doesn't know when, where or how an irrational act of violence might manifest itself.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think metal detectors and tighter security would be a good move toward preventing guns in schools. However, the students would probably resort to other methods.

And I wouldn't mind SOME teachers having guns, carried on them at all times. But I think they should have to go through some professional evaluation to qualify.

Both of these measures only deal with symptoms of the problem, though and if it's going to be solved, a lot more attention needs to be paid to WHY kids want to kill people...

This is the best post I have read. And even if 1/2 of the teachers were pushed to get thier handgun License it would help the problem. Even if there was a class that people (ALL PEOPLE EVENTUALLY) but possibly just start with Teachers. Have them increase there MONTHLY or Yearly Income for being a Public Security. Of Course there would be classes that they would have to attend and they would have to score relatively high and some would not pass. But the ones who did and where able to arm themselves in such situations as classrooms it would help trmendously with school shootings.

This is not going to stop them but keep less students from DYING in a result from a school shooting.

If we are going to stop them we are going to have to work alot more on Parents to Kids relationship ... cause believe it or not. Your kid is a product of his/her environment. Take a kid and put him/her somewhere for the first 5 years of their life. Take the same kid put him in a different situation then many many different things could happen. Alot of people think it is because little Johnny's dad passed away when he was 8 ... But in reality it was how little Johnny's mother reacts to this that taught little Johnny how to respond to such things. Sometimes his mother acting the way she did/does may affect little Johnny well into his life.

We could also train our kids that if there is a shooting not to get all scared and hide under are DESKS and be afraid. We could teach them there are stregnth in NUMBERS. The college that the kid just shot up a while back ... I heard some stories about people jumping on thier cell phones while the killer was coming in thier classroom and killing people. They were still trying to call the police. What happend to alittle common sense. This guy is in your classroom killing people he actually goes through the room killing people then leaves then comes back a second time, after going back out in the hall where he came from in the first place.

Tell me what happens if those kids in thier classroom heard the shots the teacher peeked out and told them what was obviously going on and instead of HIDING and getting on thier cell phones. They all crowd the doorway. Whenever the kid walks in the classroom everyone attacks him .. Whether it be with Desk or staplers or book bags or whatnot. It would have saved many many many peoples lifes. The guy can only shoot one bullet at a time and eventually he is going to run out of a CLIP. Unless he has a clip of say around 50 bullets he is not going to kill everyone in the classroom. Possibly not even killing anyone because he would be overwhelmed. He is a Scared little punk doing the unthinkable already.

But bottom line is that we are not going to teach our kids such so ... If we arm our teachers then at least it would put a 'KILL SWITCH' on any kind of operation that was going to involve the taking of several students lifes. If that saves one kids life then MISSION ACCOMPLISHED !!!!

AND YES ALL OF YOU ARE RIGHT YOU CAN'T ARM EVERYONE !!!! EVER ... Hence why the army has BASIC TRAINING ... EVEN OUR ARMY KICKS PEOPLE OUT .... And lord knows they will take just about ANYONE !!!

[edit on 26-4-2007 by Deus_Brandon]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Arm the teachers is all fine and dandy until some teacher goes nuts and kills 32 students, then everyone will be saying "Take the guns away from the teachers!".

I do like the idea of a "School Marshall", though. We do have police officers at our schools here (called "Resource Officers"), but I'm not sure if they're armed or not.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
This is so pointless to put security officers at schools UNARMED. I mean put RAMBO up against a teen with a 9mm and a clip of 20 bullets. See who prevails. Just doesn't make any sense. We have to wake the hell up and realize that GUNS are not the problem. They are the answer to stopping other people who control Guns. MOST LIKELY THE PEOPLE CARRYING GUNS ARE GOING TO HAVE THEM ILLEGALY ANYWAYS.

Originally posted by elderban
Arm the teachers is all fine and dandy until some teacher goes nuts and kills 32 students, then everyone will be saying "Take the guns away from the teachers!".

I do like the idea of a "School Marshall", though. We do have police officers at our schools here (called "Resource Officers"), but I'm not sure if they're armed or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join