It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Every Teacher Needs To Get Their Concealed Handgun License

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Lets see kids get outta line now at school; forget detention or Alternative Schools all these kids need is a little pistol whipping (into shape).

OK OK ... Maybe I was joking alittle about this ... but I had to bring it up this way to show you how funny it would be to hear about a TEACHER,(Someone that is at school to teach your kids), beating up on your kids. Which would never hapen, especially if they felt more comfortable with all kids as they have some sort of protection and even if a kid were to come to school and start killing teachers first, like has happened before already. Atleast they would have some sort of protection.

I know this would be a hard thing to be passed, but wouldn't it be the smartest thing to do ?

Anyone else have any ideas of how to detterent these kids away from doing such things. Even though nothing will stop these things from happening completely. I am surprised we haven't seen more other types of events, but they are set to come already in churches and other places that are supposedly safe.(such as sporting events and other things ... People will wish that people were still into STREAKING, when they start bringing weapons to these events)

[edit on 20-4-2007 by Deus_Brandon]

mod edit: removed all caps title and changed to correct formatting

ABOUT ATS: General ATS discussion etiquette (review link)
4) Most of all, do not use ALL CAPS in posts and thread titles.

[edit on 20-4-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Hi Dues

I feel 'School Marshalls" would definitely be a positive step forward.

I don't believe Teachers should be left with that kind of responsibility. Bring in trained professionals. It would a) create more jobs
and 2) act as a serious deterent....

cheers

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
*** EVERY TEACHER NEEDS TO GET THIER CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE ***

Are you crackers? Every teacher I know can't even control their classroom without going into meltdown. Now you want to arm them as well? That's just insane.

We can't trust them to educate the nation's youth without passing on some type of weird political agenda. Do you seriously believe giving them firearms is a smart idea? I don't!

We had a teacher in the family until divorce kicked her out. She was a certifiable nutcase. No way would I want her to have a gun.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
im pretty sure most states have a law against guns on school property such as california's gun free school zone act. ill do a little more research and get back to you.

The question here is whether or not properly trained teachers and administrators should have the freedom to bring a weapon to campus — to act as extensions of law enforcement on school campuses.

The law currently prevents this from happening. The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 made it unlawful for any individual to knowingly possess a firearm in a school zone, even a police officer when not on official duty or a teacher who might also be a police reserve officer!

The term "school zone" means in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or within a distance of 1,000 feet from a school. However, the United States Supreme Court overturned this in 1995 (Unites States v. Lopez) because it violated the limits of the Commerce Clause in the Constitution. Legislation stills makes it illegal to have a gun within 1,000 feet of a school.

www.mises.org...

[edit on 4/20/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Wow. We actually agree on something.

I'm still shaking my head, but you indeed have a good point

Anyway, I agree that teachers should be able to pack heat while they are doing their jobs. Not that they should actually be strapped at all times, but they should be able to keep some heat in their desk. That way, if one of those freaks decides to go crazy and shoot up the school, the teacher can blow Johnny's ass out of his trenchcoat.

Hey, it's better than letting that prescription drug junkie kill everybody in class. If I were a teacher, and one of those fools went crazy in my class, I'd do him like Dirty Harry would. Better him than half the other students and me.

But that's where you lost it. Teachers pistol-whipping students for writing on a desk is exactly the type of police state they would want. Putting the SWAT into schools is even worse, NJE777.

The ONLY time a teacher would be able to do this would be if some idiot pulled a gun and went homicidal in class. Anything else, the heat stays in the drawer.

...still surprised about it all...

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Not that they should actually be strapped at all times, but they should be able to keep some heat in their desk. That way, if one of those freaks decides to go crazy and shoot up the school, the teacher can blow Johnny's ass out of his trenchcoat.

a gun is no good unless its on you, loaded and cocked. by the time little johnny pulls his heat its already to late. running to the desk drawer isn't the answer. btw, whats going to keep johnny from going in your drawr and taking your gun when your at the bathroom or something?

anyway, now johnny is in the back of the classroom shooting toward the front and your upfront shooting towards the back. whos in the middle? 20 classmates. thats crossfire if ive ever seen it.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by bokinsmowl
btw, whats going to keep johnny from going in your drawr and taking your gun when your at the bathroom or something?

A lock on the drawer. Besides, I don't think teachers leave their classrooms unattended too often these days. A teacher I worked with had to have another adult in the room with her at ALL times.

anyway, now johnny is in the back of the classroom shooting toward the front and your upfront shooting towards the back. whos in the middle? 20 classmates. thats crossfire if ive ever seen it.

Wouldn't matter if you all were going to get shot if you are unarmed anyway. At least you could same more lives if you were armed.

[edit on 20-4-2007 by truthseeka]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I would be OK with this if there were also rules put in place that punished the teachers to extremes whenever they pull their weapon that isn't a direct reaction to an armed threat.

Problem I see here is that teachers are trained to teach. They aren't trained to asses volatile situations, they aren't trained in law enforcement, they aren't trained to keep their gun holstered and concealed up to the time they are in imminent and certain danger.

What you'll see, if there is no strict and extremely hard and intense regulation on the use of these firearms, is teachers flashing their guns in all sorts of situations that don't warant them. Going from silencing a noisy class by pulling the gun to scaring the crap out of someone for repeatedly not delivering a paper or bookreview.

Imho, more guns won't solve the problem in the US and less guns won't either.

We're fighting a mindset and social problem, these things aren't fixed by drug, gun, terror, etc etc etc laws and regulations.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   

A lock on the drawer.

i don't think that would stop most mischievous kids. anyway, like i said a gun is no good in your locked drawer, only holstered on you loaded and cocked. when situations arise that involve guns, theres no time to go get it, you need to have it on your hip ready to go. its all about the split second timing.

the thing that scares me is just like nuclear weapons and MAD (mutually assured destruction), the name of the game is first strike.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
whats to stop these students from getting machine guns then, giving guns to teachers would just make these people adapt to the situation, and you could have worse killings.

under what authority will the teachers have to use them, and what if a teacher gets in a bad mood one day, he or she may take oout the gun, and start using it.

endless cycle of violence.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I would be OK with this if I didn't have the terrible nagging suspicion that you all might just possibly be serious.

You're going to have to help me a bit here, are you honestly telling me that US schools are in such a state that the idea that all teachers should be armed with handguns could actually be a serious proposal?

I understand that leafy Hampshire may be an altogether different environment to that which you are talking about but here we're still more worried about kids taking a Motorola into class than a Glock.

(If I have missed the irony in these posts then I fully accept that I will look an utter fool.)

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I wouldnt say every teacher needs one. Then you end up with people who have no desire to have one having one and usually the people who choose not to get a permit or choose not to fire or own a firearm do for a reason.

I would just like to see the laws making it illegal for a citizen with a permit to carry on school grounds repealed. Its completely assinine. Do you think a law keeping legal permit holders from carrying their pistols will keep a criminal from carrying his? The logic is juat so empty it makes me pull my hair out.

Any American here ever been to the mall? At any given time you could be surrounded by lawful permit holders and their pistols. You could also be surrounded by criminals who happen to have guns.

Now ban guns from the malls. Guess what happens?
Youre now surrounded by criminals with guns.

Remember a few months ago that nut in Oregon I think it was who decided to go shoot up a mall? Well, because there was a lawful gun owner with a permit in the mall this guy was stopped almost immediately.

There's always the option of running, hiding and screaming for 15-30 minutes while you wait for the police to show up. Of course during this time the shooter is rampaging unapposed and having a grand ole time.

So, since criminals are criminals and couldnt care less about gun laws, limitations, permits or anything else for that matter there is no conceivable way to make criminals obey the law. THEYRE CRIMINALS.
Why is it suck a horrible thing to have a trained and permitted citizen carrying his pistol?

I dont understand the opposition. Do the gun-ban guys think permit holders are not trained? They own their weapons and never shoot them? Theyre all insane and want to hurt you? Theyre all drunken rednecks from Appalachia?

What is it?

Is it simply that youre afraid of guns?
Ive got news for you. They arent going anywhere. They will always be manufactured for defence, offense, sport or just collecting. They absolutely are not going to disappear, ever. I suggest you take the time to attend a shooters safety course, a hunters education course or just go out with a friendly neighbor for an afternoon at the range and learn about what you dont understand.

I offer this to all of my aquaintances and you know what the most common reaction is? "I thought it was going to be some big existential deal but it's just so ordinary."

Let the permit holders carry and consider yourself lucky if one should happen to be around in time to save your life.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

are you honestly telling me that US schools are in such a state that the idea that all teachers should be armed with handguns could actually be a serious proposal?

Your absolutely right timeless, the schools aren't that bad.

what your seeing is the overreaction of society to an isolated set of events. there have been times where bad things happen in schools, but they are more the exception than the norm. having a gun around makes a situation that may not be deadly in to one that could go sour real fast. who decides when the guns can be used, does a child bring a knife to school require a gun to be pulled on them? its the teachers call, eh? seems like inviting disaster. teachers are people too and just as susceptible to lapse in judgment, next thing we read could be about a teacher taking out his whole class because of a bad day.

i'd rather see metal detectors in every school entrance than one gun given to a teacher.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Thank heavens for that response bokinsmowl I was about to go and hide under the bed for the rest of my life..

[edit on 20-4-2007 by timeless test]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Wait ... Truth .. Someone else musta got your PW ... I know we don't agree on anything .. HAHAHAHAH ... Yeah I think you are right about everything .. and I appreciate everyones involvement in this thread as I have read each post and I see a valid point in everyone ... I guess whenever you are talking about our YOUTH everyone is wanting the best ...

I have known some pretty lowsy teachers even ones who break down and cry ... because of students ... Maybe it should be mandatory ... that there be so many "SECURITY DETERRENTS" in every school at even given time. Anyways , I am not so sure about the Security Marshalls would create more jobs. ... Eh ..

Originally posted by truthseeka

Wow. We actually agree on something.

I'm still shaking my head, but you indeed have a good point

Anyway, I agree that teachers should be able to pack heat while they are doing their jobs. Not that they should actually be strapped at all times, but they should be able to keep some heat in their desk. That way, if one of those freaks decides to go crazy and shoot up the school, the teacher can blow Johnny's ass out of his trenchcoat.

Hey, it's better than letting that prescription drug junkie kill everybody in class. If I were a teacher, and one of those fools went crazy in my class, I'd do him like Dirty Harry would. Better him than half the other students and me.

But that's where you lost it. Teachers pistol-whipping students for writing on a desk is exactly the type of police state they would want. Putting the SWAT into schools is even worse, NJE777.

The ONLY time a teacher would be able to do this would be if some idiot pulled a gun and went homicidal in class. Anything else, the heat stays in the drawer.

...still surprised about it all...

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Lets estimate how many school shootings result in a young student getting a weapon from a friend, family, neighbour, etc., without their knowledge. Honestly, how difficult is it? Now how hard would it possibly be for a child to go into a teachers desk to retrieve the weapon? I mean, C'mon. The answer to this is getting rid of weapons all together, especially in and around our schools. We think that filling the school with weapons, this will somehow mythologically resolve the problem?

Outside of law enforcement and military, would we ever condone someone carrying a concealed weapon on them at work? Do we want pizza delivery guys bringing us our pizza with a gun in his pocket? Do we want our judges carrying a gun while in court? Should our politicians we walking around with guns? No, we would not permit this. But we think that providing our educators with weapons will prevent school shootings. No, they will increase.

If this were implemented, within the year, we would have at least one case of a teacher opening fire on students. Within five years we would have more than a few, and countless situations where the teachers weapon were used on themselves and fellow students.

The answer to this is getting rid of weapons altogether.

In my life, I've only ever seen two or three guns. Both of them were rifles that my family used to hunt deer. Other than that, I've never seen a gun. The thought of someone just walking around with a handgun is absolutely absurd to me. The thought had never crossed my mind to ever purchase one. I thank the lucky stars every day that I was fortunate enough to be born in a location where guns are not a major issue.

If any teacher, administrator, etc., were to ever walk into any school with any sort of weapon, they should be fired on the spot. Teachers confiscate cell phones, mp3 players, etc., and yet we want to hand over guns to the teachers.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
its like telling kids fires are dangerous and then putting an open flame in every classroom. kind of hypocritical huh? do as i say not as i do mentality. maybe instead of giving teachers guns we get them to teach kids that guns aren't the answer.

guns are dangerous, as adults we know this, but i dont think enough information is out there for children. some times the best answer isn't to hide things from kids but to bring it out in the open and encourage an understanding of the situation.

guns are unfortunately a necessary evil and keeping it taboo just creates an overwhelming curiosity and kids may investigate on their own...usually ending up learning the hard way.

we teach kids about safe sex, why not firearm responsibility as well.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
i've been thinking about it, how about less than lethal force. maybe rubber pellets or tasers, but even then, giving teachers the power of pain still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
One Question: Since when was any form of physical violence an actual deterrent? Stats prove that the death penalty does not deter anyone from committing murder, so why would this prevent anything from occurring in the classroom?

We are demanding students fear the administration, rather than respect. Respect will go much further than fear ever will.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
i think we all may be side stepping the issue. true respect would be a good thing, but these kids aren't in the mind set to respect anyone, they're deeply disturbed. i guess the only option is to make the classroom a place of understanding and caring to keep these children from getting to the point of reaching for a gun. very difficult task. i feel there is no easy answer or sadly no answer at all. for some kids there is no help.

[edit on 4/22/2007 by bokinsmowl]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join