It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog owners please read!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I'm thinking about getting a puppy, and of course I'm doing as much research as possible to find a dog that would fit my lifestyle. I'm rather fond of Schnauzers in particular (miniture or standard) and I was wondering how demanding they are as pets. I know they need regular grooming, and like most small dogs like to be active - but I also know that many guides can over exaggerate, to really make you think.

I'm also quite fond of Papillions, most because their very cute - but also I read there quite easy to look after.

These are just two breed that I know, and would like advice from dog owners on what breed may be right for me. I'll list my life style, and was traits I'd quite like.

- Fairly small, about the size of a standard Schnauzer is my limit, due to the size of my house.

- I'd quite like a dog that doesn't mind being left on its own - I will be able to stay at home and look after while it is a puppy, but eventually I'll have to start working lol.

- I have time for walks, but I'd like a dog thats active enough to most excersize itself around the house. What I mean is, i don't want a breed that I'll have to take for walks the length of yorkshire

- I have a park near by, and I know from my neighbours dog that I have a garden big enough to entertain a dog the size of a schnauzer.

- I have time to groom a dog, but I'd quite like a dog that I can groom easily enough at home - rather than have to call in an expert.

- I'm a first time dog owner, so I'd quite like an easy breed to train.

Anyway, i guess thats all. Please give me any advice on what breed might suit me. Oh yes, I'll also add it that I don't want to pay the earth for the puppy, £500 is my limit.

Any other question, please just ask ^^

Thank you!

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Have you considered a chihuaua? they are really tiny and they can do all their exercising in the house. you never have to cut their hair and you almost never have to brush their hair! Mine is trained for pottie mats instead going outside for the bathroon. And i am able to completely take care of her and im only 13.

This is my chihuaua Minnie...

In this picture shes beside a tennis ball in her red dress!

[edit on 21-4-2007 by minnie]

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
www.belowtopsecret.com...'

Hey you can see all kinds of minnie's dog on that link. She posted several pictures there.

However, I have a toy poddle. He's cute and extremely smart. But, he needs his hair cut often, and misses me a lot when I have to leave him. I don't have to go for long walks with him. But he love's to go outside.

[edit on 21-4-2007 by Shar]

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Heres a picture of a papillon...

Heres a picture of a miniature schnauzer...

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Dogs hate to be left alone. They are a very social animal.

Get two dogs as they can keep each other company and really won't require that much more care.

I always get my dogs at the pound or an animal shelter. They will let you
keep a dog for a short while to see if you can develop a relationship. If not you can return the dog. Returning a dog is rare but still needs to be a consideration.

spay and neuter! Not yourself; your pets.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Yea my mom's poodle and my chihuahua keep each other company when were not home, that is if I dont take minnie with me. lol.

If you get 2 dogs you might want to consider getting both a boy and a girl. sometimes 2 boy dogs together or 2 girls will fight over things, but usually a boy and a girl want fihgt.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I'm not one for pure bred dogs, but I have learned a lot from other dog owners.

Jack Russels' are crazy and they will drive you crazy!!

Corgy's are sweet dogs.

Mutts [mixed breed] don't get sick very often and keep your vet bill down.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I have two small dogs, a westie, and a Cockapoo. They are great dogs, but i'm not sure if they would be able to handle a small house/ small land. I have lots of land for them, and they are never really apart, when they are they are howling and are lonely. If you are not home a whole lot and can't afford to spend too much time with your dog, I suggest getting two of them to keep each other company, that is if you can really afford it and can handle it.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Your needs sound actually quite ideal for a cat. Dogs need space, attention and the whole shebang. They hate being on their own and only get depressed. Plus being confined in small places for long makes them aggressive. Plus if you are only looking for something "cute" then you might as well go for a cat. If you're looking for more of a companion type of pet then dog is right for you otherwise you are just buying more trouble than its worth.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I have two toy breed - a chihuahua and a pomeranian and two Rotties. I did not get each in twos to keep the other company. (The toys are separated from the Rotties when we are not home.) When I stay home from work (like a sick day) everyone sleeps. There is no playing, just sleeping. I would only get two if you are ready for double the work!

Originally, I wanted a Pap because they are suppose to be very smart. While they have a long coat, it is a single coat unlike the Pom. I didn't get the pap because they can be very expensive and you may have to find a breeder outside of your area and have it flown it. One possible reason for the expense is that they have very small litters (usually two or three) so, it may be easier to get a male than a female.

Why do you want a dog? Companionship or competition? My Chi is my companion. He is sitting at my side right now. He is a rescue and doesn't have a lot of training. His upkeep is unbelievably easy! A bath literally takes 10 minutes (including drying). He is a little timid and in some ways is a typical Chihuahua. If you get a Chi, socialize them a lot at an early age! (Mine is a rescue).

My Pom is smart as anything. She has her CGC and it going to start doing therapy work in the fall.

Little dogs can have bad knees so, please go with a reputable breeder. Also, they are not accessories and need to be treated like a DOG! Sure, my chi has coats for the winter but I don't carry him around in a purse.

I don't know anything about schnauzers.

If you would like to talk about toy breeds further, please email me.

PS - If you do get a toy breed, don't fall for "minitures, teacups or toy". Paps, poms and chi are all part of the toy family and getting one with a label could mean it has been underbreed and may be very sickly!

Babs

[edit on 22-4-2007 by bbj516]

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Ive nearly always had mongrels, like whaa said they dont seem to get as sick or have the genetic problems that pure breds may get.
Ive got a Blue Heeler at the moment and they are extremely smart and loyal dogs but they do need a lot of exercise.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Yea, i love how it is so easy to bath my chih. But our poodle takes a lot longer to bath, dry, and brush his poofy hair. LOL!

Right now she laying on my lap taking a nap. i take her down the road with a lot of times, but i dont carry her in a purse. i either just hold her or i have this carrier that i put her in. She loves it a lot! When I say, "Lets go bye bye!", she runs in it right away, she knows she,ll get to go somewhere and she loves going places. when she was a puppy i even took her to the theater, she just slept throw the whole thing. when we leave her home she just sleeps.

top topics

join