It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israelis Help Iran Victims Despite Rebuff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Israel's president is calling on Israeli citizens to find ways of donating to Iranian relief indirectly through international humanitarian organizations, despite Iran's rejection of aid from the Jewish state.

"I am sorry about the decision of the rulers of Iran to reject the humanitarian good will of the citizens of Israel," said the Iranian-born Moshe Katsav, according to a report in the daily Yediot Aharonot. But he added, "I distinguish between Iran's rulers and the Iranian people."...

...In the wake of the rebuff, Israeli officials and non-governmental organizations vowed to continue private efforts to collect funds for Iranian victims. But the most urgently needed help from Israel's vaunted military rescue teams was never given a chance.

At least one Israeli charity, Latet, is raising funds. It is not clear if Iran will accept aid from Israeli citizens, but Latet plans to channel its funds through an anonymous third party.

www.forward.com...

Its great that Israel and Israelis are still willing to offer aid despite Iranian refusal, but being forced to seek back-channels and hide the aid means that all they can really provide is money. Israel is capable of doing much more, if only the Iranians would allow it:

Relief experts said Israeli rescue teams would have been uniquely suited for the conditions in the destroyed area. Drawing on Israel's extensive experience with collapsed buildings, a result of terrorist bombings, the Israeli Defense Force's search-and-rescue teams have developed advanced technologies for delicately removing people from rubble without the heavy machinery and tractors that are normally used.

Israeli teams have been deployed to many foreign disaster sites in recent years. One of the most successful campaigns was in another Islamic country, Turkey, after its 1999 earthquakes. In one of those trips, Israeli forces recovered 12 survivors and 140 bodies.

"The Israeli forces are the most organized, and they come with the best technology," said Ami Bergman, who accompanied Israeli teams on the Turkey relief mission as a representative of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee. "More importantly, they don't give up until every stone is turned over. In Iran I am hearing that they are already giving up after three days."

Money and man-power can come from anywhere, but specialized teams specifically trained to rescue people from collapsed buildings are not so easy to come by. Its incredibly sad that there are teams and equipment available just a few hundred miles away that will go unused.

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by Mycroft]

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Just goes to show you who (pardon the gender phrase, but I'm just using a general term) the better man is.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Those dirty, rotton, low down Israelis how can those monsters live with themselves?

I am being sarcastic I just figured I would say it before one of these other dum*sses says it

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I think that its great that Israel is trying to help even though they have been told where they can get off. I beleive that Iran's government may take a few blows for their handling of this crisis which is good for everyone involved.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:58 PM
link   
...this is propoganda..... if isreal wanted to help all they had to do is give the money to the red cross

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 05:03 PM
link   

...this is propoganda..... if isreal wanted to help all they had to do is give the money to the red cross

In arab countries it the red cresant

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti

i dont think red cross works that way, i think they only get money from the government and cant take foreign donations or anything from other governments so its not as simple as you suggest, if im wrong someone correct me.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The Red Cross can take donations from people, not just the government. However, you're not guarenteed to get the funds you give directed where you want them to go. Also, there's a huge beurocratic overhead in the Red Cross.

And what's more, the Red Cross told the Red Shield of David that they were welcome to participate in relief efforts with them...as long as they got rid of the red star of David. Isreal probably has a small problem with the Red Cross, call me crazy. The red CROSS, the red CRESANT, but not the red STAR OF DAVID. The reasoning? The Star of David is a religious symbol.

A link to the story:
www.newsmax.com.../7/15/155656

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   
i think they only get money from the government and cant take foreign donations or anything from other governments

There is a thing called the international red cross..I just said red-cross as an example..isreal does not have to be directly involved....they can go through a third party help organization like any other country does when it tries to help in aid missions...

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by McGotti]

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 08:04 PM
link   

i think they only get money from the government and cant take foreign donations or anything from other governments

There is a thing called the interenational red cross..I just said red-cross as an example..isreal does not have to be directly involved....they can go through a third party help organization like any other country does when it tries to help in aid missions...

I think it's the International Red Cross/Red Crescent society. I was reading an article recently where there was a proposal to change the symbol to a white square with a red center, and the symbol inside would be whatever was appropriate to the predominant religion of the area. A cross for Europe/America, a crescent for Arab countries, a Mogen David for Israel, and whatever other symbol would be appropriate for India, China, and other countries.

You miss the point of the article, however. Yes, Israel can and will give money, but that in itself will not be much help. Israel also has specialty rescue teams that are expert in rescuing people from collapsed buildings. They would have been invaluable in saving the lives of people trapped in the rubble.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mycroft
Israel also has specialty rescue teams that are expert in rescuing people from collapsed buildings. They would have been invaluable in saving the lives of people trapped in the rubble.

Sadly, they get LOTS of practice

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Israel also has specialty rescue teams that are expert in rescuing people from collapsed buildings. They would have been invaluable in saving the lives of people trapped in the rubble.

so does japan and america..

my point was that the only reason we are hearing about this is because its propoganda..You think im against israel helping out people in need?? of coarse not..what im saying is the only reason they are is because its makes them look better than the arabs because the arabs peoples dont want israeli help even if they need it...there are quakes all over the world..and i have never heard of isreal going out of their way to help them.. they take over lands in palestine illegaly and roll tanks over peoples houses...shoot at protesters..and then we expect them to be all nice and helpful when a quake hits?? i doubt it has anything to do with the goodness in their heart..i see a political matter at the middle of this.

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   

so does japan and america..

Maybe, but if you were buried under a collapsed building which would you rather wait for? Someone on the other side of the globe?

my point was that the only reason we are hearing about this is because its propoganda..You think im against israel helping out people in need?? of coarse not..what im saying is the only reason they are is because its makes them look better than the arabs

Wow, thats a pretty hard-core prejudice you have there.

With enough cynicism you can find evil in anything. When you find it in a desire to save lives, it says something pretty ugly about you.

because the arabs peoples dont want israeli help even if they need it...there are quakes all over the world..and i have never heard of isreal going out of their way to help them..

Did you read the article?

they take over lands in palestine illegaly and roll tanks over peoples houses...shoot at protesters..and then we expect them to be all nice and helpful when a quake hits?? i doubt it has anything to do with the goodness in their heart..i see a political matter at the middle of this.

A good deed is a good deed. A great way to stop a fight is to offer help to an enemy when needed. Iran funds terror in Israel, they finance Hezbollah and pay cash to the families of suicide-terrorists, yet Israel is ready to help the citizens of Iran in a time of tragedy.

Is there politics involved? Of course. Everything any government does is political. But what is the politics aimed at? Is it perpetuating violence or creating good will?

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
this whole story had made me sick: Iran says from the get go they won't accept help from Isreal, a prosperous nation, close in proximity, able to offer help, vital help!! How many people had to die because of this???

Israel and their government isn't going anywhere while Iran is close to another revolution, which will overthrow their current government. Its my hope that Iranians have taken note of their governments recklessness during this tragedy.

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
this whole story had made me sick: Iran says from the get go they won't accept help from Isreal, a prosperous nation, close in proximity, able to offer help, vital help!! How many people had to die because of this???

Israel and their government isn't going anywhere while Iran is close to another revolution, which will overthrow their current government. Its my hope that Iranians have taken note of their governments recklessness during this tragedy.

Sadly, because of the control of information in the country, they probably don't know. They may be being told it was a Zionist plot to kill all of them, and Isreal caused the earthquake. They only have one source of information, and that's state sponsored..

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It is a truly noble gesture for people to offer help to those who swear to kill them.

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Lets consider the facts here:

-Israel is expert at public relations when they want to be
-The Arab world is despite outside beliefs quite fractured and Iran cannot afford to say no to help
-It is better to lend assistance than not to
-Anything done by outsiders will be recognized by honest citizens or Iran
-Maybe Israel will learn some lessons from this exercise and realize that preventative medicine is the best cure for any problem.

new topics

top topics

join