It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rapper: I Wouldn't Help Police Catch A Serial Killer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
i can understand that....But not alot of rappers say racist things...er..or overtly racist things...um.....nevermind..I respect your opinion

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
I never said I disliked every rapper. I don't care for any rappers, but I only dislike the ones who say the racists things.

Enjoie, we've had good conversations that I've enjoyed. I'm sure you have too. At those times I like to think you liked me. Now, because you know I'm a rapper, you don't care for me?

Hmmmmm.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I'd like you to back that up with something other than your personal opinion, which seems to be lacking in experience in the field.

See complete work of NWA, Shug Knight, Murder Inc, Cam’ron, G-unit, and every other rapper that would use the phrase “thug 4 life” and mean it.

Well good for you, however it's not as far as I know.

Aiding and abetting. By not informing the police that a serial killer lives next to you you are aiding and abetting.

This is an explanation of them “them”, for the hiphop community is the community that preaches this behavior.

What? What exactly do you mean by posting that video? Explain it yourself, and please, in your own words.
The people that Chris Rock describes in this video are the kind of people that live the “hiphop” lifestyle. I think that that would be obvious from what I said.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Bottom line is it's all about sales. You make me money, I release your next CD. Thus the publicity junk. It's also a GREAT division amongst the populous. Using the "us against them" crap. STOP! Don't allow it.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I wonder if anyone has ever heard of Cam'ron.

hah, are you serious? cam'ron has sold multiple platinum albums, grammys and hes HUGE! i dont know how old you are, but anyone who knows rap knows cam'ron. his crew the dipset is the ish on the streets. i think you underestimate his capacity as a role model to not only the black community but to the street loving white community as well. just because you haven't heard of him doesn't mean most of the hip hop community hasn't. i would suggest you do a little bit of google before a statement like that. otherwise its just ignorance. trust me, there are people listening to his music going "cheney??? i wonder if anyone has ever heard of him?"

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Ok, as you can probably tell, I don't like rap, so I don't follow it or listen to many rappers. Therefore all the songs I have come in contact with are mostly racist songs.

Maybe it's the rappers faults, or the TV stations fault, but if you don't follow rap thats all you see it as. Maybe if they don't want people thinking this way they should show the positive side more often.

So in the end some people like it, some don't. I don't, but I know a lot of ATS'ers do so no point in arguing over it anymore. We all have an opinion on it.

Raso - Yes, we have had nice conversations, and I don't want that to change. I think you're a great guy.

[edit on 19/4/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
--> Mr Mxyztplk I would appreciate it if you addressed my questions please, as I am curious as to your response and why you chose that video instead of the alternatives

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Edit: Removed comment. It's unfair to the poster. Despite my personal thoughts on the subject, I should let him comment for himself.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I would also like to note that when rap first came out. It was party music. Afrika bambataa, run-dmc . The as the prevelence of police brutality came about people got tired of being disrepected and oppressed and decided to express there frustration in a new era of rap. exp. Public enemy & NWA. So IMO rappers rap about their environment and such. So once againe why would Cam'ron help the (notorious )NYPD when the havent helped rappers (Tupac /Biggie/am Master Jay + the countless ordinary folks)

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I'd like to expand on the examples given by ImpliedChaos. When rappers make political commentary, why is it racist? Public enemy rapped about the state of affairs suffered by the black population in America. What else are they supposed to rap about?

It's no different than Trent Reznor singing about using heroin, or Merl Haggard singing about beating on his wife.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
To ImpliedChaos
I used that video because:
A) I find it funny
B) I find that it really speaks about the problems in the African-American community that are exacerbated by hiphop. Unlike the early days of rap, where it was a refection of what was happening, now it adds fule to the fire.
C) To rebute Rasobasi’s attempt by singling out the word “them” and inferring that it was an attack blacks as a people, not just the particular small segment of that community. Chris Rocks performance in that video really proved that point I found.
D) Because the video showed that the African-American community like the majority of society disapproves of the behavior that the hiphop community preaches.
E) Because the video calls for a change by the community to no longer accept that kind of behavior.

I did not mean for the video to be offensive, just to prove a point.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Mr Mxyztplk

I understand you point now..but i have to argue that rap today is also a reflection of what is happening in society just as it was in the past

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos
So IMO rappers rap about their environment and such. So once againe why would Cam'ron help the (notorious )NYPD when the havent helped rappers (Tupac /Biggie/am Master Jay + the countless ordinary folks)

This is the 2 wrongs don't make a right thing again imo. Cam'ron just looks like another one that wants his cash. Nothing wrong with that, just be honest about it.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
or Merl Haggard singing about beating on his wife.

Now you've stepped waayyy outta line.....

....but instead of arguing about musical preference, join me in singing this old time favorite of my youth...

Clap your hands everybody
If you got what it takes
'Cause I'm Kurtis Blow and I want you to know
That these are the breaks

Breakes on a bus brakes on a car
Breaks to make you a superstar
Breaks to win and breaks to lose
But these here breaks will rock your shoes
And these are the breaks
Break it up break it up break it up!

If your woman steps out with another man
(That's the breaks that's the breaks)
And she runs off with him to Japan
And the IRS says they want to chat
And you can't explain why you claimed your cat
And Ma Bell sends you a whopping bill
With eighteen phone calls to Brzil
And you borrowed money from the mob
And yesterday you lost your job
Well, these are the breaks
Break it up, break it up, break it up

Throw your hands up in the sky
And wave 'em 'round from side to side
And if youdeserve a break tonight
Somebody say alright!
(All right) Say ho-oo!
(Ho-oo!) And you don't stop
Keep on, somebody scream!
(Owwwww!) Break down!

Kurtis Blow (the Breaks)

I feel much better now

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
But whats the point in doing something right for the Police if in many cases a)it puts you danger b)chances are police wont follow up on it and c)They start to look at you like a suspect when you were just trying to help

OMG JacKatMtn that made my day. Thats a throwback.

[edit on 4/19/2007 by ImpliedChaos]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Mr,

The problem is that you accuse the hip hop community of being violent, and ignorant. When it should be obvious that there are as many different types of rappers as there are different types of people.

You said it yourself (sort of)
There are black people, and there are ignorant . The same applies in rap/hip-hop. However, you've grouped it all together, and dismissed it all.

Mod Note: There are people and there are ignorant people. No need for a censor circumvention.

[edit on 20-4-2007 by The Vagabond]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
OK guys can we go about this topic without "ignorant n*ggas"? Please. This is ATS.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I'd also like to point out to those who think that Hip Hop is alone in commenting on "thug life".

Johnny Cash sang about it in "Don't take Your Guns To Town"

He drank his first strong liquor then to calm his shaking hand
And tried to tell himself he had become a man
A dusty cowpoke at his side began to laugh him down
And he heard again his mothers words

[Chorus]
Don't take your guns to town son
Leave your guns at home Bill
Don't take your guns to town

Filled with rage then
Billy Joe reached for his gun to draw
But the stranger drew his gun and fired
Before he even saw
As Billy Joe fell to the floor
The crowd all gathered 'round
And wondered at his final words

[Chorus]
Don't take your guns to town son
Leave your guns at home Bill
Don't take your guns to town

Should we fault country music for promoting violence?

Edit: Apologies Intrepid. I was making a comment on Mr. Mx's posting of the Chris Rock sketch, and his allusion to the two "types" of black people.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   

.but i have to argue that rap today is also a reflection of what is happening in society just as it was in the past

Reflection is one thing, and it is defiantly important. But I find now less reflection and more glorifications,
Consider the fact that rap has gone from saying that it sometimes is necessary to be violent just to live, to now saying that violence is fun, and saying killing someone for stepping on your shoe is OK.
To promote that, is something I find unacceptable.
Just my 0.02

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Again, I'll say that the amount of rappers making comments like that is in the minority. Glorification is not the message, and most often it is misunderstood by those who have not experienced it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join