It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayweather to Fight in UFC??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
How much would you pay to see Floyd Mayweather Junior, one of the greatest boxers of all time, step in against the current UFC world champion at his weight (Sean Sherk)?

It's not impossible, if you buy into the smack talk (Mayweather's specialty):

Ultimate Challenge for Mayweather?

I'm fascinated by the idea. Part of me agrees with Mayweather...

"UFC's champions can't handle boxing. That's why they are in UFC." Mayweather said Tuesday from Las Vegas during a break in training. "Put one of our guys in UFC and he'd be the champion. Any good fighter, he'd straight knock them out."

Or here's an even better quote...

"Take Chuck Liddell," Mayweather said of the UFC's biggest star and light heavyweight champion (about 205 pounds). "Put him in the ring with a (boxer) who is just 10-0 and Chuck Liddell would get punished."

But part of me agrees with UFC top dog Dana White...

"I used to talk like Floyd Mayweather when I was involved in boxing," White said. "I talked just like him, until I educated myself about this sport. These guys are amazing athletes, Floyd Mayweather is one of the best boxers ever, (and) Sean Sherk will whoop his ass in under two minutes."

So what do you think...boxing champ versus UFC champ...who wins?

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Very simple, a mixed martial artist will almost always win against a boxer. Okay, a boxer might have heavy hands, but what's that got to do with a realistic fight. 90% of fights end up on the ground, boxers don't train in that way, and beyond that, they don't train their entire body as well as a mixed martial artist, fitness wise, they don't need too. I'd like to see a boxer take a swift kick to their unconditioned leg by the likes of chuck lidell or crop cop.

The point is, these mixed martial artist are boxers, they're just also everything else, and a boxer is nothing but a boxer.

This just sounds like a cry for attention because the boxing audience has dropped dramatically since a better fighting competition has been noticed.

On that note, the boxer Butter bean, which has a wonderful record boxing, has recently decided to enter the world of MMA. I saw him fight on PRIDE the other day and he loss terribly to a guy that was 150lbs lighter. That tells ya right there.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by thexsword
On that note, the boxer Butter bean, which has a wonderful record boxing, has recently decided to enter the world of MMA. I saw him fight on PRIDE the other day and he loss terribly to a guy that was 150lbs lighter. That tells ya right there.

Butterbean is a poor example, that dude is just a fat slugger with no technique and he is over the hill in age. All a professional boxer needs to know is to sprawl, then we have a good fight against a mma....

The bad thing is, who are the boxing champions? lol... I know all of UFC, but boxing? Don King ruined it..... maybe Stallone will fix it LMAO...

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   

The point is, these mixed martial artist are boxers, they're just also everything else, and a boxer is nothing but a boxer.

I don't know. There are fighters that prefer to stay on their feet and strike. Liddell is kind of like that, isn't he?

This just sounds like a cry for attention because the boxing audience has dropped dramatically since a better fighting competition has been noticed.

That's exactly what it is. Which is why I think that boxing's only hope at not being completely BURIED by the UFC is to put a boxer in the octagon and PRAY that the boxer wins. Then they could say that REAL fighters box.

It's all about recruiting at this point. Where are all the great young fighters of the future going to go?

Butter bean

Putting Butterbean in the same breath with Mayweather is like comparing a Cessna to the Space Shuttle.

If anyone could hang in the UFC it would be Mayweather. He's quick enough to evade and strong enough to punish.

I'm not sure what the outcome would be but I tell you what...I'd pay the price of admission to find out.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Well I simply said Butterbean because he was the only one making the transition at that time. The fact is, most world class boxer could take a mixed martial artist in a boxing match. But for a boxer to win in a MMA match, all he has is punchers chance. Atleast MMA fighters train in boxing, but boxers don't train in MMA.

It takes years and years of training almost on a daily basis just to become a professional in brazilian jui jitzu, muay thai, judo, sambo, wrestling, kick boxing, and any other art of street combat. I highly doubt that a boxer, someone with no experience in anything but boxing is going destroy someone who boxes, and is great at everything else.

I've come to learn just how insanely technical and hard this sport actually is.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I've come to learn just how insanely technical and hard this sport actually is.

Absolutely agreed.

On the other hand, this past weekend we had a great example, in probably the most hyped fight of UFC's young life, of two of the sports premiere athletes (Jackson and Liddell) staying on their feet and striking it out (...for a minute at least.
).

[edit on 29-5-2007 by Essedarius]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yep, agreed, although the only reason they stayed on their feet was because they're both the same(or close to) caliber strikers. I deffiently think Rampage is much better. But if Mayweather were to come into the cage, he would get taken down real quick and be hopeless until he tapped out.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well, as a boxing enthusiast, I'd have to say that the ultimate fighter would probably win just because of the other aspects of MMA. Here's the thing with Mayweather though, with his handspeed and power along with those little gloves they wear in UFC, if he catches the guy and stuns him, the ultimate fighter is doomed because a flurry of accurate punches will follow so fast that the ultimate fighter won't know what planet he's on. Boxing is superior to MMA as far as the purity of the sport goes. MMA's are just thug, streetfighters. That being said, he might not stay the "Pretty Boy" long if he gets in the ring with a guy whose better at kicking and submission than he is. I don't think Mayweather would do this for his own sake.

I think Manny Pacquiao would be more willing to get in the ring with a MMA, and also have a better chance at winning.

Peace

[edit on 30-5-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Boxing is superior to MMA as far as the purity of the sport goes. MMA's are just thug, streetfighters.

I agree with you for the most part up until this. Boxing is more pure than MMA? I hope you're joking. Boxing has been destroyed because of how unpure it is. How dirty it is, and how it's promoters don't give a crap about the actual art of the fight, all they care about is money. How about the lack of a unified champion? is that pure?

Mixed martial artist are just thugs? Do you have any idea how long these guys have trained and learned more respectable martials arts than a boxer? Most these guys spent their time growing up in martial art classes instead of the streets. You don't learn all those styles by beeing a streetfighter. If you can find a street fighter that knows the art of brazillian jui jutzu, muay thai, judo, kempo, wrestling, boxing, kick boxing and all that is an effective art, I would be suprised.

Mayweather is the thug. Talking his illiterate crap about everything, trying to fight at weigh ins, and lets not mention Tyson. How many times has he been in prison for beating his wife, rape, drugs, ect.? So who is the purest?

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Let me clarify, the sport itself is more pure, I'm not talking about the people affiliated with it. Taking a man down just using punches while wearing 16oz. gloves on each hand, that's about as pure as it gets. Trust me, if these MMA were really all that, they'd be going where the big money is, and that's in boxing.

Even with all it's problems, professional boxing will always be king over MMA.

Peace

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Let me clarify, the sport itself is more pure...

I would agree with that in the same way that I would agree that TicTacToe is more pure than Chess. There's a simplicity to it that is very appealing.

But MMA has a purity of competition that, I hate to admit, boxing no longer has. Dana White, the top dog of UFC, won’t release financial figures regarding the fights and he encourages fighters to keep the numbers to himself as well. He wants the focus to be on the competition.

The administration of boxing as a BUSINESS has eroded the integrity of boxing as a SCIENCE because it’s practically impossible to match the best fighters due to promoters, television, organizations, etc.

Even with all it's problems, professional boxing will always be king over MMA.

I’m not sure. It will all depend on the next couple of years. MMA is storming into the mainstream and, unless De la Hoya and Mayweather agree to fight once a month, I see boxing as too anemic to counter it. Bottom line is that already, TODAY, more people are familiar with Rampage Jackson than Manny Pacquiao.

Boxing needs big time personalities and fighters right now, and they just don’t have them.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
I would agree with that in the same way that I would agree that TicTacToe is more pure than Chess. There's a simplicity to it that is very appealing.

Uh.....no.......boxing would be chess. In boxing you have a very limited area in which you can do damage, along with the opponents ability to deflect blows with their arms and gloves. It is much more a thinking man's sport. Speed, accuracy, and counter attack are what makes boxing the "sweet science". How do you think Muhammad Ali lasted so long in the ring? It was his head that got him by in his later years. On the other hand, Mike Tyson was unable to adjust once his head got in the way, thus he faded into relative obscurity. Boxing is a sport of adjustments just like chess.

Everyone is thinking that MMA will one day be the sport that boxing is/was. Maybe it will happen, maybe not, but as great as some think the sport is now, just wait, it will become just as corrupt once there's a ridiculous amount of money to be made.

Edit to add: People never got tired of paying forty bucks for PPV to watch Tyson knock out a guy in under one round because you hardly ever saw it. In MMA they're going to get tired of it really fast because it happens too much, thus they won't be willing to pay those same PPV prices.

Peace

[edit on 4-6-2007 by Dr Love]

[edit on 4-6-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Uh.....no.......boxing would be chess. In boxing you have a very limited area in which you can do damage, along with the opponents ability to deflect blows with their arms and gloves.

And because boxing has a limited scope of attack and defense, it is much more simple than an MMA bout which offers multiple options for attack. Which makes boxing checkers to MMA’s chess. (I’ll offer that upgrade from TicTacToe…)

And that’s not a cut on boxing …having your tools limited in that way puts the onus of victory on the INTELLIGENCE of the player…or as you put it:

It is much more a thinking man's sport. Speed, accuracy, and counter attack are what makes boxing the "sweet science".

But you have to admit, MMA offers all those elements, yet also brings into play the fighters ability to grapple, break a hold, position on the ground, and more.

Boxing is a sport of adjustments just like chess.

But limits many of your movement options, like checkers.

…but as great as some think the sport is now, just wait, it will become just as corrupt once there's a ridiculous amount of money to be made.

I can’t argue with that.

In MMA they're going to get tired of it really fast because it happens too much, thus they won't be willing to pay those same PPV prices.

People tune into NASCAR for wrecks, baseball for home runs, and fights for knockouts. To say that people will cool on MMA because knockouts happen TOO MUCH is ignoring the low low entertainment baseline of the human species.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
My .02 cents here.

A boxer knows only boxing. boxing is not all that effective in a street fight. sounds crazy I know. but check this out. A boxer can only throw certain legal punches in the sport. not saying that they can't throw other punches in real life but a real fight is a different mentality. A boxer stands a good chance of falling into the same pit some black belts fall into they think their art is realistic. boxing isn't sorry. Boxers also don't have the greatest technique in the world either. their punches for instance with 16 oz gloves on don't need to be accurate or have good form. but take off those gloves and punch the same way a boxer does and the first thing he'll do is snap his wrists. I've seen it happen in a real fight. why do you think they tape up their wrists. throw a punch like that in the real world and your wrists will break. in fact lots of actaul street fighters learn the hard way to never throw punches but to strike with an open hand.

next. a real fight is over fast. who ever hits first wins. it's not a sparring match. like martial artists, boxers have a good chance of going into a real fight with the wrong mentality. brutal, fast, and violent are the only ways to win a real world fight. thugs and street fighters know this all too well.

whats a boxer going to do when the game is switched up. he's used to fighting from 40 or so inches away. he's going to learn real quick not to do that when some guy sticks their foot on their chest and slams them backward a good 5 feet and the guy realizes everything he's ever learned in boxing doesn't help when you reach needs to be more like 70 inches and everything they throw lands about 30 inches short. thats a meter short. not good.

Whats a boxer going to do when he gets punched for the first time by a bare knuckled fist. whats the boxer going to do when the guy he's fighting is used to getting clocked by punches all day and his hits aren't effective against him like they are against some boxer. furthermore whats he going to do when he realizes that the average guys legs and body are still two times more powerful than the hardest punch they can throw. and whats he going to do the first time he gets kicked in the head. I'm sure he'll be more than a little stunned.

know what doesn't happen in boxing. broken bones. slam a boxing glove into someones face will daze them and slam them with the force of the punch but the gloves soften the initial transient blow which normaly shatters bones. Punch a normal person in the face bare knuckled hard and then tell me he won't need some sort of reconstructive surgery afterwards. Yes boxers bruise up crack bones on faces in swell up each others cheeks in the match, but in real life they will get a punishment that they might not be used to. Never seen boxers collapse in the middle of a match from internal hemoraging. I've seen Mixed Martial Artists do that. It's a lot more brutal than boxing.

also, a MMA doesn't go into boxing for the same reason Bruce Lee never studies only one disapline. cause one trick won't work everytime in every fight. you need to be a lot more dynamic in a real fight than a boxer. Not saying some boxers don't have a street fighter mentality. but maybe not a much so as an MMA fighter.

Finally. Don't think that boxers are somehow quicker than a MMA. some MMA guys are slow, maybe telgraph their moves. but keep in mind that that kick just coverd 6 feet almost as quickly as a boxer just coverd three. Stand infront of an MMA fighter and try and dodge his kicks. might not be so easy. they might be moving faster than you realize.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
also whats a boxer going to do against a guy who knows akido. get his arm locked up when he over extends his punch and have it shattered in three places. whats a boxer going to do the first time another fighter snaps his clavical completly breaking his shoulder and immobilizing him. takes only 20 lbs of force.. the nose takes 15. ever sen a guy simply fall off a bike and break his collar bone. well lots of street fighters know this trick and will use it.

Boxing...there are other more effective forms of boxing you know than the western style. like kenpo.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Don't think that boxers are somehow quicker than a MMA.

Maybe not boxers in general, but pound for pound, Mayweather is quicker than any fighter in MMA. I believe that.

I agree with much of what you're saying, but I also think you are underestimating the striking and evasion skills of an ELITE boxer.

Physically, a boxer could hang. But, as you pointed out, the sports have a different MENTALITY that would probably give the MMA fighter the edge in the octagon. (Of course, you put someone with an MMA mentality in a boxing match and they'll probably get their lunch...it goes both ways.)

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I agree that an MMA guy put into the restrictions of a boxing match probably wouldn't know what to do before he got his lights punched out. but put it this way. in a street fight who will win. a boxer or a MMA fighter.

What about a Muy Thai boxer. pretty sure a kick from one of them wich are insanely fast sometimes will put a boxer down instantly. thats a match that could literaly last less than 2 seconds.

not saying mayweather isn't fast. he certaintly is.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Exactly my thoughts Essedarius, when I was reading BASSPLYR post I was thinking the very same thing, definitely underestimating a boxer.

BASSPLYR
in a street fight who will win. a boxer or a MMA fighter.

It's a toss up 50/50... even a MMA fighter against someone who is in decent physical shape will only have a 50% chance of winning a street fight.

Ground-N-pound and elbows is not rocket science nor is the guillotine or full mount, In traditional martial arts they teach simple self-defense techniques to get out of most the positions you might see in a MMA matches but would be illegal to use in a MMA match. Boxers do have common sense and killer instincts as do the average Joe.

In a street fight there are no rules, the best fighter doesn't have to be a MMA or a boxer. Even the one with the best attributes may not even win, street fights are not predictable.

It's that simple.....

Oh! have you seen this VIDEO

[edit on 6-6-2007 by XPhiles]

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
thats an awsome video. I liked it. My stance is that in a real fight whoever has a more nasty street fighter mentality will win. both boxers and black belt martial artists could go into a fight with the wrong mentality and get their buttocks handed to them by a vetran street fighter. A real fight is a real fight not sport. In the ring. a boxer going up against other fighters that use their legs which are much stronger than arms and have a meter more in reach might shock the boxer when he goes into the ring.

conversly martial artists need to learn that some stuff is just for the art and not useful in real life. Boxers. a boxing punch might hurt more than just the target in a real fight. not a realistic form for hitting bone without a wrapped wrist. ask a boxer to bound a punching pag as hard as he can without his wrists wrapped... then watch him buckel his wrist and break it. Not even SF use that many punches. or not the ones I've talked to. they were actually encouraged to move away from punching. they were taught that open hand is better. plus it gives you another 6 inches in reach. it's faster you don't have to commit to the move and your balance is better. Half of boxing is waiting for your opponent to everextend his punch to counter and get a good hit on the guy. good punching form really is less than the actual reach of the guys arm unles it's a jab. any circular motion requires a boxer to get a little too close in a real fight. ever seen how close Tyson had to get to land a connecting blow. that was his specialty to get in close. but what happens when ever time he tries some guy mule kicks him in the side of the ribs where they don't bend and break real easily. also whats he going to do when said mule kick creates internal hemoraging and he collapses on the mat. seen it happen to people unfortunant enough to charge into a well place kick to the mid section. Muy tai man going to slam a jumping knee into a boxers face. throwing a jab isn't going to stop a guy jumping at you. no punch will help. neither do vetran street fighters, or experienced bouncers throw punches that often. learned the hard way that a punch can go both ways. and buckled broken wrists hurt afterwards.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
also, physical shape not really that important in a real fight. street fights are over fast. whoever hits first and connects well wins. not many will be able to stand up to getting hit hard in the head. big guy or little. all the vulnerable parts aren't protected by muscles. plus every fight I've ever seen the fat out of shape guy squashes even the healthy vibrant athlete.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join