It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Women Students Protest Veil - Now Face Expulsion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I applaud these women protesting for their freedom, the Iranian police reaction was swift, taking their school ID's which keeps them from entering the school and now they will face a hearing to see if their actions will result in expulsion.

The government says that by not following the Muslim dress code they "are tools of the enemy, who tries to destroy the system by spreading a cuture which goes against Islamic values."

I have heard that many of the younger generation Iranians are strongly against this oppression by the Islamic lead government.

Talk about bravery, these women are risking alot to speak up for their rights.

LINK

Tehran, 19 April (AKI) - Female students at Tehran Polytechnic University, where students protested against Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad during a visit last December crying 'dictator go away' and throwing firecrackers, are staging a major protest against new regulations enabling police as of 21 April to arrest women who do not abide by the Islamic dress code. A group of 700 female students organized a rally on campus and signed a letter to the dean calling the new rules "an offence to the dignity of women" and accusing him of "wanting to extend to academia the sexual apartheid imposed by the government on Iranian society."

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Yeah thank God they only had their ID's taken away.

I have heard in some other countries when you protest about oppresive police state like conditions it's rubber bullets and pepper spray. I have even heard that in some countries when you protest about harsh government conditions even babies get peper sprayed, then you get arrested and put on lists for being watched monitored and harassed, incase you try to do it again.

archives.cnn.com...

www.portlandmercury.com...

www.democracynow.org.../08/19/1354257

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Talk about bravery, these women are risking alot to speak up for their rights.

Granted they're brave, but under the circumstances, do they have the "right" not to wear their veils in school if that's what the regulations are? Do Iranians have the right to protest their government? I honestly don't know. But I don't think we can safely assume they do. The rights we enjoy in the US aren't recognized in many countries. Especially Islamic countries, where the religion is part of the government.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I really until a short while ago, didn't think that they could protest over in that country either, then I saw a picture of students protesting. I was surprised at some of the clothing. It's so Western. The sunglasses on guys and girls. It looked so Western in some ways.

I wish I had the picture. It was very surprising. It's not the image that we get over hear about that country.

Apparently in that country, and others they can protest. I was surprised.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

news.gooya.ws...

When I first glanced at the second picture and saw students protesting I thought it was American Students, cause of the sunglasses, but then I read the caption, and I didn't realise they could protest.

I am sure they do get arrested like Americans do for protesting, and I don't know if it's not written in their charter the way it is in America. These days however I thin actions speak louder than words, when it comes to rights and freedoms.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
They will probably be hanging from a crane in a few days...

top topics

join