It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the Internet be a Terrorist Target?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I have thought about this for quite some time. I beleive that it is very possible to pull it off all you would need is a small team of individuals that know how the internet operates and a few well placed bombs.

All that would have to be done would be to send out a trojan that just sits dormant on a users computer until a specified time. Once this virus is on thousands maybe even millions of PC's and it turns on it will start to broadcast just across the internet. At the same time that the Virus cuts on set off a few bombs at key spots along the internet backbone and walah!

It could take months to get the internet back up and going.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have my doubts that the trojan idea would work, but the bomb idea might

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It could be a target but I have lived most of my life without the internet, I think I along with almost everyone else could manage it being out for a period of time. The most it would do is slow down e-commerce which has become a large part of our society, but everything ordered online can also be ordered through phone or by visiting a store. E-Bay and Amazon would probably plummet stock wise, then maybe I could finally afford a few shares in my ultimate get rich scheme.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Its a real possibility of happening, in London they keep all the internet servers for most of the Southern UK, if the terroists constucted a bomb large enough or crashed a plane into the biulding they could litterly wipe of the internet for London and the South which of course would be catastrophic.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Take your map above and multiple the network links with 1000 and you know what's just in the USA on the ground(presently, that map above is old. The current bandwith is damn massive all around the world). Not speaking about the satellite connections.

A few years before attacks on the internet were very easy - online done. Meanwhile bandwith and security has improved, especially the last months and you won't see a big disaster like SQLSlammer again.

There is still a problem how they have built the exchange points. The biggest internet exchanges in the world are in NYC, Boca Raton, Vienna, Amsterdam, London, Frankfurt and Tokyo. Take out 2-3 of those through bombs, or just NYC or London and the internet gets some real trouble.

Lots of lines but they meet in a few points. And thats the danger.

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by shoo]

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Attacks designed to take down the internet have happend before. A bunch of lame llamas decided to DoS a handfull of the 13 Primary DNS Servers a while back, but didnt have much success thankfully. As for viruses affecting it, they usually just clog up bandwidth by either trying to scan and propagate, or by DoS'ing certain targets. I think the internet has gotten too large to ever really be taken down, crippled maybe, but not completely taken down.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The Map above is only the current view of the UUNET internet backbone. There are 25 other major backbone networks that you can take a look at here.

www.nthelp.com...

I still beleive that a well planned attack could bring the net down maybe even without the help of bombs.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
I think the internet has gotten too large to ever really be taken down, crippled maybe, but not completely taken down.

Just my "two cents" worth: the Internet was based on ARPANET which tried (in part) to ensure ongoing communications via computers despite attacks, so although damage *could* undoubtedly be done, I don't think the Internet would become totally "wiped out" IMHO.

Certainly, if it *was*, I'd be lost - what would I do without ATS??!!

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Jackal, you do sound just a little trigger happy...

However the interent is WORLD WIDE.

Also, you really couldn't "hack the internet", perhaps certain servers and ISP's and other features, however the internet is the freeflow of electricity, it would take days, not months to bring it back up.

Now atmospheric detonations of nuclear warheads and having the EMP blast magnified and reflected off of the satellites, this could knock out the internet. This idea is often looked over because usually nuclear devices destroy everything before the EMP blast hits there, not to mention the fallout, however that's one an EMP bomb is: a nuke without the "BOOM!!!".

Really though, if you could assemble EMP's at such a level, I think you would want to due more than be a terrorist...

- Tass

new topics

top topics

join