It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Turkey Be The Next Member Of The EU

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Turkey has been campaigning for membership in the E.U. Officially Turkey is secular, but sometimes the actions of its people and the government speak differently. So will and should Turkey be the next member of the E.U.?
Here is some information that can be considered in this.

Turkey's sometimes hostile stance toward its own religious and ethnic minorities has been a persistent source of concern to Western governments as the country presses ahead with its campaign for European Union membership.

Although the government officially preaches tolerance, it historically has failed to rein in virulent ultranationalist groups. Authorities were accused of ignoring repeated death threats against Hrant Dink, an ethnic Armenian newspaper editor who was gunned down outside his offices in Istanbul in January. Prosecutors later said a teenager confessed to the shooting.

At the Zirve publishing house in Malatya's city center, police discovered the three victims bound hand and foot and tied to chairs with their throats cut. Two were dead; the third died later at a hospital.

honor suicide

Turkey and the EU

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It's my cynical belief that Turkey will be accepted for no better reason that this will be to the enormous financial advantage of Big Business.

Yes, many Turks are keen to dispel negative opinions arising as consequence of backwards and violent fundamentalistic religious and ethnic beliefs and actions. Turkey is keen to display its 'secular' face to the world.

How thin is the veneer of secularism, however?

Frankly, I feel Turkey will become more genuinely secular through inclusion in the EU. Which will be of enormous benefit not only to it's minority groups but also to its majority.

After all, Turkey stands to gain enormously from EU membership and the Turks are well aware of the benefits to be gained both nationally and at individual level.

The more Turks interact on all levels with the West, the more keen they will be maintain mutual respect and co-operation. A Turk attending university in Bristol or Paris, or about to close a lucrative deal in Berlin, will cringe each time a Turk religiously motivated 'honor murder' or other atrocity appears on Western tv news and newspaper front page. This will filter down to even the most fundamentalist group or individual.

Turkey has many astute and highly-successful (on international level) business-people who have long been acutely aware of the need to present themselves and their nation as cultured, ethical, competitive, etc. Money talks, especially when money's to be gained on both sides of the equation. The EU members are as keen to do business with Turkey as Turkey is to expand its position. Acceptance by the EU may well see the swift replacement of those Turkish politicians who currently smile to the West whilst at the same time privately upholding fundamentalist tradition.

Acceptance by the EU may well usher in a new breed of Turkish politician(activated by Western political/aka: 'commercial' influences) and result in new attitudes amongst even fundamentalist Turks. It won't happen overnight, but as it's in Turkey's interests to demonstrate secularism rather than as now, to claim it, there's a good chance a new EU broom will sweep away Turkey's hard-liners --- eventually those hard-liners will agree to move with the times, or will have to move elsewhere. I don't feel there's much doubt that Turkey will be accepted sooner rather than later.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Hi RedGolem/
Interesting that you found the article......sad isn't it!
Well, there is much more going on with Turkey then many people realise or even know about.....

There's quite a bit of info on the greek news, but my greek is not that good and I need first Greek on hand for interpretting what is going on....
There's alot going on with Greece and Turkey right now over the Aegion Islands(this has been an issue for decades)Also this EU membership they seek......Actions do speak louder then words!
We will see in the coming months, what will arise of the whole E.U issue, but for now ........Let Turkey resolve the Cyprus matter first and then let them go talk about Unity amongst the European Union.

helen

EDIT.....for the below article.....
''Tuesday, 12 December 2006''
Turkey criticises EU 'injustice'

[edit on 4/19/2007 by helen670]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
It's my cynical belief that Turkey will be accepted for no better reason that this will be to the enormous financial advantage of Big Business.

Of everything I have heard said on this matter I think this is probably the most true.

The more Turks interact on all levels with the West, the more keen they will be maintain mutual respect and co-operation.

But I also feel that this will cause even more out rage in Turkey's hard liners.

It won't happen overnight, but as it's in Turkey's interests to demonstrate secularism rather than as now, to claim it, there's a good chance a new EU broom will sweep away Turkey's hard-liners --- eventually those hard-liners will agree to move with the times, or will have to move elsewhere. I don't feel there's much doubt that Turkey will be accepted sooner rather than later.

yes I would like to think that all of this is so. I just don't feel the hard liners will move with the times or move else where easily. But all in all I think you are right that Turkey will be a member of the EU sooner or later.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The EU is a pathetic organization destined for failure. Why would Turkey want to be a part of this? Some secular fools inside Turkey are looking for the monetary benefits membership in the EU would provide. Turkey should stop trying to become a part of the EU and stick to just playing nice for now.

top topics

join