It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random strange trivia/unusual facts !

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
You can boil liquid water in a microwave oven......... But you can't melt an ice cube (using the microwaves... of course you could put it in there and wait for it to melt before some bright spark says that)

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Good luck pulling all those foxy chicks with your intimate knowledge of all this nonsensical,useless trivia.
Let me know how you got on-I might try it.

Brother karl, the trivia is used as the ice breaker but until you get them in the van it's all just an exercise in BS.

I have found that it's a numbers game. Never get discouraged and forge ahead until the majic happens with someone.

my trivia....

4.2%out of 1000 newborns have tails

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Total cost of the Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion (ANP) program, 1946-1961: $7,000,000,000

Total number of hangers built to house nuclear-powered aircraft: 1

Total number of nuclear-powered aircraft built: 0

Total number of flights made by a Russian nuclear powered aircraft: 34

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Total number of flights made by a Russian nuclear powered aircraft: 34

It was only partially nuclear powered, and most flights were made with the reactor off; to test the reactor shielding. Americans made one but didn't have the reactor power the jet engine - however, that was done with Project Pluto. They really accomplished nothing the Americans didn't do, perhaps they sent lots of radioactive dust everywhere though.

[edit on 23/12/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Greetings brother Waaa -yet again you've imparted some sound advice

More cheeky facts:

Accounts from Holland and Spain suggest that during the 1500s and 1600s urine was commonly used as a tooth-cleaning agent.

The first written account of the Loch Ness Monster, or Nessie, was made in 565AD.

Today there are almost a billion TV sets in the world.

Picasso could draw before he could walk and his first word was the Spanish word for pencil.

The first book published is thought to be the Epic of Gilgamesh, written at about 3000 BC in cuneiform, an alphabet based on symbols.

To save costs, the body of Shakespeare's friend and fellow dramatist, Ben Jonson, was buried standing up in Westminister Abbey, London in 1637.

Rodin died of frostbite in 1917 when the French government refused him financial aid for a flat, yet they kept his statues warmly housed in museums.

2 billion people still cannot read.

The one place where a flag flies all day, never goes up or comes down, and does not get saluted, is the moon.

A diamond will break if you hit it with a hammer.

A house fly lives only 14 days.

One in ten people in the world live on an island.

In the US, murder is committed most frequently in August and least frequently in February.

During the 6th Century, it was customary to congratulate people who sneezed because it was thought that they were expelling evil from their bodies. During the great plague of Europe, the Pope passed a law to say "God bless you" to one who sneezed.

When Alexander Graham Bell passed away in 1922, every telephone served by the Bell system in the USA and Canada was silent for one minute.

An exocannibal eats only enemies. An indocannibal eats only friends.

English sailors came to be called Limeys after using lime juice to combat scurvy.

In 1973, Swedish confectionery salesman Roland Ohisson was buried in a coffin made entirely of chocolate.

In the 6th century BC Greek mathematician Pythagoras said that earth is round - but few agreed with him.
Greek astronomer Aristarchos said in the 3rd century BC that earth revolves around the sun - but the idea was not accepted.
In the 2nd century BC Greek astronomer Erastosthenes accurately measured the distance around the earth at about 40,000 km (24,860 miles) - but nobody believed him.
In the 2nd century AD Greek astronomer Ptolemy stated that earth was the centre of the universe - most people believed him for the next 1,400 years.

Chevy Chase was a battle that took place on the english-Scottish border in 1388.

When killed in battle, Japanese officers were promoted to the next highest rank.

In 1894, Lord Kelvin predicted that radio had no future; he also predicted that heavier-than-air flying machines were impossible.

Traffic lights were used before the advent of the motorcar.

Leonardo da Vinci never built the inventions he designed.

80% of millionaires drive second-hand cars.

Tourism is the world's biggest industry, affecting 240 million jobs.

The can opener was invented 48 years after cans were introduced.

Elvis was an avid gun collector. His collection of 40 weapons included M-16s and a Thompson submachine gun.

The harmonica is the world's best-selling music instrument.

Earth is slowing down - in a few million years there won't be a leap year.

There is no record of a person being killed by a meteorite but animals are occasionally hit.

Pea crabs (the size of a pea) are the smallest crabs in the world.

In Old Testament times the Mediterranean Sea was called the Great Sea.

There are 92 known cases of nuclear bombs lost at sea.

Since 1495, no 25-year period has been without war.

The doors that cover US nuclear missile silos weigh 748 tons yet open in 19 seconds.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
THE TOP TEN CHUCK NORRIS FACTS:

01 Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

02 Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.

03 Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the probability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.

04 If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris you may be only seconds away from death.

05 Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

06 When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

07 Chuck Norris built a time machine and went back in time to stop the JFK assassination. As Oswald shot, Chuck Norris met all three bullets with his beard, deflecting them. JFK's head exploded out of sheer amazement.

08 Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life there.

09 They once made a Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take # from anybody.

10 A blind man once stepped on Chuck Norris' shoe. Chuck replied, "Don't you know who I am? I'm Chuck Norris!" The mere mention of his name cured this man blindness. Sadly the first, last, and only thing this man ever saw, was a fatal roundhouse delivered by Chuck Norris.

www.thechucknorrisfacts.com...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
When the Mona Lisa was stolen from the Louvre in Paris in 1911,one of the people arrested on suspicion of its theft was Pablo Picasso.
He'd been implicated by his friend the poet Guillaume Apollinaire. Both men were questioned and eventualy released.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Due to gravitational effects, you weigh slightly less when the moon is directly overhead.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks for the bump K. I love these kinds of threads. Great icebreaking trivia for the cuties at the bar. It's been my experience that Trivia concerning pets will get you a more favorable response than say.....metallurgy.

Dogs prefer Names that end in "er" such as HomER, BowsER, CrittER etc.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Because of the rotation of the Earth you can throw an object further if you throw it west!

But the advantage would probably be dwarfed by local environmental variations.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Ho Chi Minh worked as a pastry chef at the Parker House hotel in Boston and a number of hotels in London.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks for the bump K. I love these kinds of threads. Great icebreaking trivia for the cuties at the bar. It's been my experience that Trivia concerning pets will get you a more favorable response than say.....metallurgy.

Dogs prefer Names that end in "er" such as HomER, BowsER, CrittER etc.

Brother Whaaa -some sound advice there my friend.

Talking of the foxy ladies do you know its legal for pregnant ones to wee in policemen's helmets?
Apparently you also need a license to keep a lunatic.

According to U.K. law,a pregnant woman can urinate anywhere she wants in public - even in a policeman's helmet.

Other silly British laws:

* In Chester, you can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.

* You may not shoot a Welsh person on Sunday with a longbow in the Cathedral Close in Hereford.

* In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless in public except as a clerk in a tropical fish store.

* In York, excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.

* Committing suicide is classified as a capital crime.

* Placing a postage stamp that bears the Queen (or King) upside down is considered treason.

* A license is required to keep a lunatic.

www.nowpublic.com...

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

That application is also standard procedure here in the US.
From my personal experience it's been a marriage license.

And for trivia tidbit.

Cats despise to be painted the color orange.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by karl 12

That application is also standard procedure here in the US.
From my personal experience it's been a marriage license.

Aha -that one did make me chuckle.

On a serious not did you know that 'Astronauts cannot belch' ?

100 Interesting Science Facts

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
More cheeky facts:

Religions, Myths, Superstitions, and Other Beliefs

The Aetherius Society believes Jesus is alive and well on the planet Venus.

One superstition to get rid of warts involves rubbing a peeled apple and giving it to a pig.

The Fijiian god Matawaloo has eight stomachs and is always eating.

Buddhism is the fastest growing religion in Ireland.

William Blake, Winston Churchill, and John Lennon were all ordained druids.

Some saints in the Middle Ages were dirty because they thought it would bring them closer to God. St. Anthony never washed his feet; St. Abraham never washed his hands or feet for 50 years; St. Sylvia never washed any part of her body except her fingertips.

St. Cassian was a schoolmaster whose pupils stabbed him to death with their pens.

There is no mention of Adam and Eve eating an apple in the Bible.

One mariner's tale of the 15th century held that men who tried to sail south of Morrocco would be transformed into Negroes.

Legend has it that after he was beheaded, St. Dennis, the patron saint of Paris,France, carried his head around and walked for quite some distance before finally setting it down.

According to the ancient Chinese, swinging your arms cures headache pain.

The ancient Celts believed that rivers were the urine of goddesses. Many European rivers (Seine, Severn, Danube, etc.) were named after these urinating Celtic deities.

Pliny believed that the souls of the dead resided in beans.

www.ladyoftheearth.com...

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Tibet’s living Buddhas have been banned from reincarnation without permission from China’s atheist leaders...
They literally have to apply for a written licence giving permission! - If they didn't green stamp my application I would so haunt those guys... Cos well, I won't have anything else to do for all eternity.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Nice -

Did you know that ballet dancing is illegal in Turkmenistan?

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Before 1800 shoes were not designed for right or left feet. ouch!

This guy

Is an illegal Mexican alien that crossed the border in Texas.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The only palindrome hit recorded by a palindrome artist is “SOS” by ABBA

(10 Amazing Music Trivia Facts You Never Knew)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join