It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the AG-94 a real weapon?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
You guys make me
. You compare real life terrorists with those in a video game and try to out do each other with your posts.

In the real world, the terrorists - black, white, pink or brown; Maoists, Taoists, IRA, INLA, Red Army Faction, Baeder Meinhof or Hamas, uses the prime weapon of choice - the AK 47 or the AR 18.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
First of all, about Chechens, there is no more Chechen war, my friends' friends in the military are sitting bored waiting for war. The local police are the only ones in Chechnya now, taking care of any unfinished work.

First of, the An-94 is very user-unfriendly weapon, which takes weeks, even months to learn.

Next, the high cost means it has only been issued to a few elite Spetsnaz units. A Spetsnaz soldier is the hardest soldier in the world to kill. And take his gun in the middle of battle? Pretty hard, unless they were to make all the Spetsnaz troops retreat and collect the left-behind weapons. That is the ONLY way they would be able to get their hands on the AN-94, and that is unlikely.

And also, if any AN-94 went missing, I'm sure everyone in Russia would know.

But yeah, comparing video games to real life? Yes, in video games anything is possible, 1000 Black Eagle MBTs surrounding the White House and all, put the video game counsel controller down for a second, press the game on pause, and pick up a newspaper

The bit about the BE invading the White House was funny though

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
You guys make me
. You compare real life terrorists with those in a video game and try to out do each other with your posts.

In the real world, the terrorists - black, white, pink or brown; Maoists, Taoists, IRA, INLA, Red Army Faction, Baeder Meinhof or Hamas, uses the prime weapon of choice - the AK 47 or the AR 18.

Ummm, no, we're not comparing terrorists - we're talking about how likely it is for an AN-94 to fall into their hands, forget the videogame. Yhea, ofcourse the prime weapon of choice is the AK-47. All I was saying it is possible, although extremely difficult, for terrorists to get their hands on.

Now as R.S. pointed out above, the AN-94 is a pretty complicated gun, and very pricey. This would already discourage any terrorist leader from ordering one. But killing a Spetsnaz soldier in combat to get it...far from the only way of obtaining one. While alot of chechen weaponry is purchesed from many parts of the world, alot of the modern toys come from Russia itself. Purchesed from the Russian mafia. The mafia gets it from ofcourse no other places then the Russian military warehouses. During the 2 chechen wars the Russian goverment has turned a blind eye to this. This still happens very often, and for a chechen this is a far simpler option then killing a Spetsnaz to get his gun. And if and AN-94s went missing hardly anyone in Russia would give a care, and for that matter hardly anyone would bother to know. You've been away from home for some time haven't you R.S.

Again, all I'm saying is i don't exclude the possibility that the chechens could get their hands on the AN-94. I don't say they are using them. I myself can't find a reason why they would go through the trouble to get a set of AN-94s when they can get tons of AK-47s for that price. I'm just saying if they wanted one they do have the ability to get one.

Regards,
Maestro

PS: There isn't a war in chechnya - the 2 wars have been over the last one ending in Dagestan. It is still hostile there though. The Russians have pulled most of the Army and Desant (airborne) out of Chechnya and now use Spetsnaz and elite police units to catch or eliminate terrorist leaders. Keep in mind people still die in chechnya, convoys still get ambushed, patrol units still run into snipers, and checkpoints still get mortared. It is still dangerous and hostile there.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
maestro46, you do make valid points.

However, if you look at the history of 'shoot 'em up' video gaming, you'll see a trend in weaponry the 'terrorists' use.

This mirrors real life to some extent and the yardstick was the Iranian Embassy Siege in London during 1980. The CRW 'Pagoda' Teams of 22 Special Air Service Regiment were seen to storm the embassy, armed with H & K MP5's and MP5/SD3's.

Suddenly, everybody wanted an H & K MP5 and pretty soon, they started to replace the Uzi in SWAT and police armouries throughout the western world.

Even Hollywood got hooked on MP5's with Bruce Willis and Co rampaging all over America with MP5's. Even predatory aliens don't get off scot free.

The point I was making maestro46, is that gaming often imitates films that mimics real life. Apart from GRAW that is.

Apart from the US forces having the SCAR-L, SCAR-H, MR-C, XM8, M4A1,
M16/203, FN FAL [SLR], SA80 and OICW, the 'enemy' also has access to these weapons and of course, the ubiquitous AK family of assault rifles.

My points, I believe.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I also heard the mechanisim of the AN94 Abakan was based on the Pribor-3B's Operation.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The game in question was likely Metal Gear Solid 2, they weren't exactly terrorist but rogue Spetsnaz/Russian Militants, ofcourse they would have had a hard time to get a state of the art Russian assault rifle, I did hear rumors that they are slowly replacing AK-74M's with the AN-94 though.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Here's some good info on the weapon. After looking over it (it's been a while since I've read it) I'm convinced yet again there is no way this would replace the AK as the standard rifle in the Russian army. Big complicated toys like this one belong in the hands of the Spetsnaz.

world.guns.ru...

Regards,
Maestro

[edit on 23-5-2007 by maestro46]

[edit on 23-5-2007 by maestro46]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
put in google.com and then put in AN-94 wiki and ther will your answer be !

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join