It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember being told if you make that face, it will stay like that forever? Is it true?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Judging by some of the faces of people I have seen over the years, I would be inclined to say that it in fact does happen and is true

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I don't know if that's true or not, but there is another thing my parents always used to tell me.

It might be true, because my eyesight is really deteriorating..........

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Now that I think about it, when I was young I used to try to like bulge my eyes out and give a bug stare, and now my eyes hurt a bit and are really itchy..

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
I don't know if that's true or not, but there is another thing my parents always used to tell me.

Let me guess... You’re struggling to get rid of the hair inside your palms as well?

As to the question... I highly doubt it. Actually I'll say a definite No. Simple biology of the human face "doesn't allow it". Remember that it's all muscles, skin and nerves (and some bone). Your face has the ability to take different forms, as it is part of our communication. Something as flexible as face muscles won't just stand still because our parents said so... Some people are just born "not as pretty as me"...

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

Originally posted by lombozo

Let me guess... You’re struggling to get rid of the hair inside your palms as well?

Right on the mark Gemwolf!

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
Something as flexible as face muscles won't just stand still because our parents said so... Some people are just born "not as pretty as me"...

We all use our faces as an expression of our feelings and emotions, and we all make faces in many forms every day. Mine has never stuck in any particular mode.

I've seen the pug's mug, and if Gemwolf was making faces as a kid, it sure didn't do him any harm.

The word "cute" comes to mind.

One thing that I do notice on my own face is the fact that I raise my eyebrows a lot. It's something I've always done, and now that I'm getting older there are permanent creases in my brow that only Botox could remove.

I find the faces of elderly people tell the story of their life in a way.
A person that smiled a lot develops laugh lines, while a person that led a sad life has that show up in their face as they age.

But don't think for a second that something like this will become permanent.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I've seen the pug's mug, and if Gemwolf was making faces as a kid, it sure didn't do him any harm.

The word "cute" comes to mind.

Cute? C.U.T.E.!?!? I think the word you’re looking for is actually drop-dead-gorgeous-Greek-god-hunk? Don't worry. It's an easy mistake to make.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
There's this girl who used to talk only using the side of her mouth because she thought it was cute and now it's permenantly stuck like that. She can only talk using that side of her mouth and when she opens her mouth, it opens sideways. Very odd.

She goes to my school. Everyone always bugs her about it.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I herd if you make a face or cross your eyes and the wind changes it will stay like that forver

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
That's why I try to smile when taking a dump.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Actually, that saying (your face will stay that way) is interesting. Wonder how it began -- and more importantly, why it's continued to be used as a warning to children?

They also say that by the time you're 40, you'll have the face you deserve. I've seen evidence of that. For example, a man I know was devastatingly good looking when he was in his late 20's, early 30's. Women used to throw themselves at him.

He inherited great bone-structure, colouring, etc. So there was no reason he shouldn't have aged well.

He's middle aged now, but instead of being attractive, he looks wasted and much older than his age.

When he was younger, he was very envious of other people's lifestyles and possessions: his face used to twist in hatred and anger when he saw people drive by in expensive cars. He used to spend a lot of time hanging around 'exclusive' suburbs: I think he had some crazy belief that he could 'absorb' affluence if he just hung around wealthy people long and often enough.

He used to adopt an affected 'posh' way of speaking and always lived beyond his means --- at others' expense.

His entire focus was on wealth, wealthy people and their luxurious lifestyle. When he met anyone, you could see his mind assessing them, categorising them, into those whom he could 'use' and those who were 'of no use'. He had no use for 'poor' (in the material sense) people. And he gushed over 'rich' people, even if they were spiritually toxic.

He wasted all his opportunities. He gambled compulsively, always expecting to WIN and be catapulted into 'wealth'. He used to say that WHEN he won, he would tell everyone to Get F****D ! That's how jealous and envious and angry he was.

To drown his anger and rage and thwarted sense of 'entitlement', he drank heavily.

He just didn't see the years passing. While he was concentrating enviously on OTHERS' lives --- his own was passing, day by day, unappreciated. He never valued his own life or anything in his own life.

He didn't value his own life. He always wanted to be 'someone else', living 'somewhere else', being 'something else'.

Now, he looks like an ancient, haunted, falling-down building. True.

top topics

join