It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival solar power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I came across this amazing solar power site dedicated to lo-tech cookers, water pateurizers, and many other uses, with downloadable designs of all kinds of solar arrays.
The basic materials needed to make a useable reflector could fit into a B.o.B...such as a foldable ruler, protractor, and a few square metres of mylar sheeting (very lightweight and can be folded down)

Has anyone had a go at building one of these? It would certainly be a useful 'tradeable skill' in a long-term Sit-X scenario, and would save valuable combustible materials used to cook and purify water for other uses

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Wow what a sweet site my kids are gonna have a ball making some of these thanks for sharing this great find

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Great site I saved it to further investigate at another time, and my kids also love to do any kind of hands on experiment . I saw one time where you could use like the inside of a chip bag to do solar cooking and purifying your water through distillation. It was from some survival site, can't remember, but you always see those shiney metalic looking discarded bags in ditches and such. If SHTF you could make drinkable water and cook that way.Wonder if there is a survival thread here some where where we can make survival suggestions?

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Wonder if there is a survival thread here some where where we can make survival suggestions?

Yes as a matter of fact there is see below
Prepairdness suggestions

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
This is an amazing resource!
Thank you for the education. I will experiment this summer and report my findings. This will be one great project.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I'm with you on that one shadow, just as soon as I get these end of year exams out of the way and have plenty of time to dedicate myself to some solar experimentation.

If you want to read more in-depth on solar power, I strongly recommend downloading this e-book...aside from the mathematical equations and engineering calculations it covers pretty much every aspect of collector/reflector design pros and cons from backyard pot-boilers to Sandia Labs. megawatt powerstations

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Thanks, I just skimmed chpt 1.
I have a 3rd grader question about solar energy.

Why can we not equipt satellites to harness solar energy and beam it to locations on earth? I mean there has to be a way to gather up the energy in massive amounts and then send it to earth where it can be stored in large scale? The technology is there, so where is the research?

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher
Why can we not equip satellites to harness solar energy and beam it to locations on earth?

We certainly have the technology available to do that, but the material costs would vastly outweigh any additional benefits in terms of extra energy gained. A 2ton satellite currently takes hundreds of tons of volatile fuels and machinery to put it into orbit in the first place.

The simplest solution in terms of costs vs. benefits would be to use a lo-tech/high-design method...like SunCone for example, which could theoretically be made from recycled plastics and other materials so offsetting the initial energy-costs spent in producing each unit

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I was thinking more along the lines of hitching rides with shuttle launches. Maybe give those guys in space something to do.

I suppose you are correct, I don't know how many years a satellite could function. I would have thought it would recoup the costs.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I have built parabolic solar ovens before and they work quite well. Easy to build and quick to heat up. They are in use around the globe. I once built a Parabolic solar oven out of card board and aluminum foil with the infamous scientist, Professor Harry Stubbs, ( A.K.A. Hal Clement, the science fiction author) We cooked hot dogs, (yummy sun dogs), with it long ago.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The link that citizen smith shared has a picture section with ovens from all over the world. The ones from Boliva looked really simple and functional. Printed out the 58 page pdf. I have some plans for the summer. In the mean time, I think the cardboard & foil route is the way for me. Unless of course I come across any materials that have the silver paper lining already attatched. I believe there is compressed insulation that is lined with foil. Perhaps that with some aluminum flashing added, I could make a strong one that will last a summer of use.

top topics

join