It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Was Thinking About The VT Shootings (Thread Topics)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Ok, I was watching the news today and I thought (you know it isn't good if I do that
) about how this student carried out his attack on the school. So can I make a thread about how hypothetically one could/would orchestrate a similar event according to their ideas and means...

Besides all the decency, moral, ethical and otherwise normal behavior standards that would be broken is there anything against the TC about it? Just asking...

[edit on 17-4-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
hmm interesting thought. Although I would have thought it would be "frowned on".

But it sounds a really great idea for thought, sort of like counter terrorism, you work out what the terrorists would do, and work out a counter strategy.

Of course my opinion on the matter won't make much difference.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Creating and posting a scenario of something like the VT shooting could very well get you on a list of 'people who need to be watched'.......

I'd be careful of how I framed it, if you are determined to explore the idea.

[edit on 17-4-2007 by frayed1]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I do not think thought and question should be restricted...

I have thought about scenarios like this long before the VT shootings, given my interest in all things related to weaponry, defense and the military I have enough curiosity and knowledge to create realistic scenarios... Does not mean I have any intention of putting them to use anytime soon, just thought experiments I do. Everything from detail of clothes and tactical plan to counter action against law enforcement and likely threat environment I may encounter. Really elaborate plans... I wont say any more but its just my nature to think up such things, may be unusual but eh...

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
What would be the goal here?

Putting forth recommendations on how the guy could've done a better job? Listing suggestions on how someone else could do this without screwing up?

Reviewing and trying to understand what happened is one thing, drawing up new plans on how to better do that is another.

I'm a bit confused as to what you wish to accomplish with this.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
DJ, does it really matter? I could just as easily look at the VT incident and think of ways in which the gunman could have been stopped and or slowed down. At the same time I could put out a "better" way of accomplishing what he intended to do, kill people. Personally it does not matter to me, it's all hypothetical so I see no reason not to explore the subject, you my disagree, but thats how I feel.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
So, no definite answer? I was really looking to see if it was technically allowed but since it clearly disturbs some and borders on several things I'll let it go...

[edit on 17-4-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
At the same time I could put out a "better" way of accomplishing what he intended to do, kill people. Personally it does not matter to me, it's all hypothetical so I see no reason not to explore the subject,

Mankind has been exploring ways to kill our fellow man since before we dropped out of the trees. It is a delicate subject when posted on a board like these, but it's a subject that has been key to the development of our current society.

I say go for it, but do it with tact.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I say go for it, but do it with tact.

I disagree.

It's not a 'manner of speech' issue, in my view.

WestPoint23

If what you say is true about yourself, then you hold a special expertise that should never be shared lightly. In some contexts, it makes sense...but a public message board is not one of them.

You have no idea whether someone just as broken as the VT killer might stumble across your posts and find them useful.

Now, why would anyone want to risk that?

I think the responsible thing to do would be to pass on the idea.

[edit on 17-4-2007 by loam]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Just a reminder of some ATS history.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

We've had a member on our boards that went on a school shooting rampage.

I don't think someone with the type of mentality that would allow them to kill innocent people would be very influenced by what is said on these boards.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I don't think someone with the type of mentality that would allow them to kill innocent people would be very influenced by what is said on these boards.

It's not about 'influencing'.....it's about educating.

HUGE difference, imho.

[edit on 17-4-2007 by loam]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
An instruction manual for efficient mayhem is probably not a good idea.

It might not plant the seed, but it sure might fertilize it.

But, What about the reverse scanario?
How would you protect yourself, if you were one of the potential victims.
How to avoid being the "fish in a barrel"? A fish without a gun.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
But, What about the reverse scanario?
How would you protect yourself, if you were one of the potential victims.
How to avoid being the "fish in a barrel"? A fish without a gun.

Now that would be a thread worth reading...

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I do see the point of not putting a manual out there on how to kill humans.

That being said, I guess we should stop teaching chemistry and biology. :shk:

No knowledge is evil, only the intent of the user can be evil.....

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

We've had a member on our boards that went on a school shooting rampage.

And I am very glad that he did not have access to a how-to manual for staging a more efficient school massacre written by a really smart group of people (us).

My personal opinion is that such a thread is not a responsible one.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I do see the point of not putting a manual out there on how to kill humans.

That being said, I guess we should stop teaching chemistry and biology. :shk:

They are not the same.

Why do you confuse personal responsibility with third party enforcement?

Just because you have a right to do something, doesn't mean you should choose to exercise that right in all situations.

What compelling benefit is derived that so far exceeds the potential consequence?

Civility requires personal responsibility.

In my view, the thread WestPoint23 proposes is unwise.

No knowledge is evil, only the intent of the user can be evil.....

Nice words...but we aren't talking about "evil" or the intent of the wrongdoer.

What I am talking about is the notion that a person's actions might needlessly facilitate the wrongdoing of another. Plain and simple.

Personal responsibility.

[edit on 18-4-2007 by loam]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Westpoint excuse me but I did not take what you meant to say literally, I fugured you meant more in the lines of what you would do if total # hit the fan someday in this country where rather than going peacefully to one of the internment camps you would have a well thought out stratagy to keep you on a survivor level untill things settle down or improve. Did I miss something? And if I did then this is really not the place to post such morbid and unjustified ideas. Especially since the family members of those bright and never forgotten students and teacher just may and probably do come to this site. How would you feel if it was your beloved ? It is NOT on, to mentally vomit on others.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
as was mentioned previously, we actually had an ATSer that turned out to be a school shooter

what is the saying, "history repeats itself?"

[edit on 17-4-2007 by they see ALL]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Hey westpoint23 this is former member IBM, hope you remember, havent been on this for like 2 years, but i had forgotten my passwords and secret questions and stuff. Well its good to see that there are still the good folks on this site once again :-)

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Westpoint23 -

No offesnse dude, but isn't asking us to list a step by step manual of "how to go about" such a thing rather sick?

I mean, come on - this is ATS, not a step by step guide to systematic self destruction.

"Westpoint23" - interesting title. You should know better than that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join